Advertisement

Iron Man 3 talk (spoilers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Re: Iron Man 3 talk (spoilers)

Postby Schlemmer » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 am

Amoebas wrote:Tony builds a machine that turns the moon into a Burger King.

that would be awesome

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 am

The movie took place over the course of like 36 hours, there are a dozen plausible reasons that the rest of the avengers, or shield or the army didn't come to the rescue. Do we really need some clumsy exposition explaining this?

TerriG
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby TerriG » Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 am

Rockman wrote:The movie took place over the course of like 36 hours, there are a dozen plausible reasons that the rest of the avengers, or shield or the army didn't come to the rescue. Do we really need some clumsy exposition explaining this?

Hahaha, I guess some things never change here. ;)

I personally enjoyed the movie. Didn't care for the clean slate protocol but you know what, at least I understood artistically why that was written in so I can let that pass.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 68 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

Grayson wrote:Iron Man 3 wasn't my favorite Marvel movie but I was really enjoying it up until "Clean Slate." I don't care how you try to justify it, destroying all his remaining armor, especially when there could have been any number of surviving and unaccounted for extremis soldiers around, was a monumentally stupid and wasteful decision.

He did it to impress Pepper. Old story with guys and gals...

Pepper : "It's me or your armors!"
Tony : "...."
Pepper : "I mean it!"
Tony : "....thinking.."
Pepper : "...."
Tony : "....okay... JARVIS, Clean Slate."
Pepper : "Too late."
Tony : "....bitch..."
Tony : "....JARVIS... time to make Mark 43..."
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 68 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 am

TerriG wrote:Hahaha, I guess some things never change here. ;)

I personally enjoyed the movie. Didn't care for the clean slate protocol but you know what, at least I understood artistically why that was written in so I can let that pass.

I think it was for him to just make a bunch of new armors. No biggie.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

Rockman wrote:Or Jarvis used his heat scanners to see that all the soldiers had been taken care of?

Well you did just limit the movie to an absolutely ridiculous window of 36 hours, so that Jarvis who may have used heat scanners is the same Jarvis who by your time frame was just malfunctioning a couple of hours prior. Also, let's not forget the fact that Tony Stark now lives in a world where he know that aliens can open wormholes at any point in time allowing an entire legion of hostile soldiers to come pouring into our world. It was impetuous and stupid and unfortunately it kinda ruined my enjoyment of the movie as a whole. I would still rate it above Iron Man 2 but as far as the current batch of Marvel Movies go, that's it. Cap, Thor, and Incredible Hulk were all better overall in my opinion.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 am

It did intially bother me about Tony not calling in SHIELD or The Avengers but then I realized how often stuff like that happens in the comics.

It's like say in a Superman title if Metallo is causing a ruckus in Metropolis. Metallo is incredibly strong and powered on something that can kill Superman dead easily. Why doesn't Clark just ask Wonder Woman or the Martian Manhunter to take him out?

The easy answer is it's a Superman comic. Not a JLA one. This was an Iron Man movie not an Avengers one.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

Jack Burton wrote:It did intially bother me about Tony not calling in SHIELD or The Avengers but then I realized how often stuff like that happens in the comics.

It's like say in a Superman title if Metallo is causing a ruckus in Metropolis. Metallo is incredibly strong and powered on something that can kill Superman dead easily. Why doesn't Clark just ask Wonder Woman or the Martian Manhunter to take him out?

The easy answer is it's a Superman comic. Not a JLA one. This was an Iron Man movie not an Avengers one.

Exactly.

Not everything has to be a team-up or crossover.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 am

Grayson wrote:
Well you did just limit the movie to an absolutely ridiculous window of 36 hours, so that Jarvis who may have used heat scanners is the same Jarvis who by your time frame was just malfunctioning a couple of hours prior. Also, let's not forget the fact that Tony Stark now lives in a world where he know that aliens can open wormholes at any point in time allowing an entire legion of hostile soldiers to come pouring into our world. It was impetuous and stupid and unfortunately it kinda ruined my enjoyment of the movie as a whole. I would still rate it above Iron Man 2 but as far as the current batch of Marvel Movies go, that's it. Cap, Thor, and Incredible Hulk were all better overall in my opinion.

Jarvis was rebooted when the suit regained power :smt102 Just because his speech program was malfunctioning doesn't mean that his other operators weren't working properly, especially since we just witnessed a huge battle in which the AI was functioning properly

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 5 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am

A few explanations, as least as I understood them.

Mark 42
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
He had only gotten to the stage in development where he could "call" the armor using the body implants. Then he was using the suit via remote control. It was pretty much only good for a window display not for actual use. Yet.

When Tony woke up.
The suit wasn't charged up yet. That's what the alarm on the watch was for. I guess his calculations were off by a few minutes. Plus being locked up in the shed slowed them down.

SHIELD
Maybe there is a deleted scene. I got nothing there. Fury's off world maybe?

Clean slate
I figure he has a plan in mind. Maybe he's using the extremis stuff himself. Nanobot armor or something. His house and lab are gone, no where to put them all anyway. Plus it's the same guy who took all his damaged collector cars and squished them into a statue. Except for his bot boys, he's not sentimental for his stuff.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am

Jack Burton wrote:It did intially bother me about Tony not calling in SHIELD or The Avengers but then I realized how often stuff like that happens in the comics.

I feel like there wasn't even a time for him to call SHIELD or the Hulk or whatever.

He was closest to Killian because he was already in Miami, if he had called Bruce Banner how would he have gotten to the tanker in time? The same goes for the other groups as well. We also have to keep in mind that HE DID try to warn the government (which includes SHIELD and the military) but that was ignored by the Vice President.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

SHIELD is an organization of the government and in the film we see that the President put Rhodey and his support team on the Mandarin and not SHIELD. SHIELD in the movies isn't nearly the omnipotent spy web that we've seen in the comics and we can probably safely assume that after an alien invasion that there resources were allocated elsewhere.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 am

Rockman wrote:
I feel like there wasn't even a time for him to call SHIELD or the Hulk or whatever.

He was closest to Killian because he was already in Miami, if he had called Bruce Banner how would he have gotten to the tanker in time? The same goes for the other groups as well. We also have to keep in mind that HE DID try to warn the government (which includes SHIELD and the military) but that was ignored by the Vice President.

Well in the movie verse SHIELD's some sort of multi-national peacekeeping force but you are right they did call the VP.

Given Tony's obvious dislike of Fury I can see why he didn't call him either.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:03 pm

I could be wrong but the movie-verse SHIELD stands for "Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement Logistics Division "

So I think it is supposed to be an American Agency and answers to the President.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Plus we know that SHIELD has a file on the dude as Tony hacked (I guess I'm stuck in the 80's) into their database and got all the info they had on him. So it's not like they didn't have a presence.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum