Advertisement

DC Sister Company Publishes Attack Piece on Marvel

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am

Time Magazine has published an article claiming that Iron Man is the only interesting Marvel superhero.

Source: Time

Time Magazine published an interesting article last Friday entitled "Iron Man: The Only Interesting Marvel Superhero".  The piece, written by comics blogger extraordinaire Graeme McMillan, claimed that Marvel's moviesverse has only one interesting superhero: Iron Man. 

Here's Graeme's thoughts on Chris Evans' Captain America and Chris Hemsworth's Thor.

[Y]ou have Chris Hemsworth’s Thor and Chris Evans’ Captain America, two men who could hardly seem more wooden and emotionally uninvested. Hemsworth’s Thor seems the complete opposite of Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, sucking the air out of every scene with every glower and deep-voiced murmur of dialogue. Similarly, Evans’ performance as the star-spangled Avenger looks as if he misread “upright hero” as “uptight hero” in his script, and it stuck.

Graeme does point out that this acting seems to be a symptom of the blockbuster nature of superhero movies, in that characterization is whittled down to a few core traits in order to not distract from the constant stream of action scenes and "Wow" moments.  However, McMillan wonders whether Marvel's string of successes is about to let up, and warns that Marvel's output could be all downhill from Iron Man 3.

It does bear noting that Time Magazine shares a parent company with DC, who has their own major superhero movie coming up in Man of Steel.  If we were a lesser website, one would wonder whether this was a bit of corporate synergy designed to throw a bit of mud in Marvel's face before their own big tentpole movie (which, if successful, could lead to a series of DC superhero films) was released.   I mean, conspiracy nuts (the same ones who accused AOL of shuttering ComicsAlliance due to their anti-DC criticism) would probably point out that DC's parent company just paid someone to write a takedown piece on their rival, who has been kicking their ass in both the movie and comic department recently. 

But to cut that off at the knees, I think that Time Warner could come up with a lot more inventive ways of attacking Marvel's successful movies than using a failing magazine to act as a mouthpiece.  Also, Graeme's one of the better comics bloggers out there, and I doubt he'd be a party to such a thing, even if he did doubt our own veracity last week. 

For what it's worth, I think that Graeme does bring up a valid point in that Evans and Hemsworth have nowhere near the stage presence as Downey Jr.  Also, Thorwas a thoroughly mediocre movie, so maybe he's onto something. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: DC Sister Company Publishes Attack Piece on Marvel

Postby Punchy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 am

Those links where MacMillan questions the OH really piss me off, it's the same with Uzumeri, where do they get off doubting us?

Some bloggers have an unearned sense of superiority. We're all just fans.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1093 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am

Punchy wrote:Those links where MacMillan questions the OH really piss me off, it's the same with Uzumeri, where do they get off doubting us?

Some bloggers have an unearned sense of superiority. We're all just fans.

Get them Punchy! GO GET THEM!!!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 901 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 am

Evans is pretty good, and Hemsworth is amazing. I disagree.
-

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm

For what it's worth, I think that Graeme does bring up a valid point in that Evans and Hemsworth have nowhere near the stage presence as Downey Jr.

Who does?

I liked Evans more as Cap than Johnny Storm.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 805 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon May 06, 2013 1:27 pm

I asked for comment from Time but they blacklisted me

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Agree about Thor and Hemsworth.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Personally, I enjoyed Captain America more than any of the Iron Man movies.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm

After Avengers Captain America is my favorite of the Marvel movies. I just thought the tone of it was perfect.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Jack Burton wrote:After Avengers Captain America is my favorite of the Marvel movies. I just thought the tone of it was perfect.

ditto.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm

Well, they've still got one up on DC, who have no interesting superheroes.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm

I personally think Hemsworth is very charismatic as Thor, and Evans' Cap was very good at playing the confused, man out of time stuff (like the Wizard Of Oz joke) in the Avengers, whilst still being an archetypical boy-scout hero.

The article is nonsense, just because RDJ is a one-of-a-kind whirling dervish of awesome doesn't mean perfectly good performances are bad.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon May 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Punchy wrote:I personally think Hemsworth is very charismatic as Thor, and Evans' Cap was very good at playing the confused, man out of time stuff (like the Wizard Of Oz joke) in the Avengers, whilst still being an archetypical boy-scout hero.

The article is nonsense, just because RDJ is a one-of-a-kind whirling dervish of awesome doesn't mean perfectly good performances are bad.

This. Hemsworth and Evans both have better screen presences than Christian Bale did as Batman, or than whoever the fuck this new guy is who's playing Superman, or the last guy that played Superman. Or Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, for that matter. RDJ is just insane, no one can compete with that.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 230 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

He's conflating the characters with the actors. He's basically saying, "I didn't like Hemsworth's performance, so Thor is a boring character." This is not only fallacious, it's retarded.

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 300 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Mon May 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Punchy wrote:I personally think Hemsworth is very charismatic as Thor, and Evans' Cap was very good at playing the confused, man out of time stuff (like the Wizard Of Oz joke) in the Avengers, whilst still being an archetypical boy-scout hero.

Exactly. They were great in their roles, but their roles didn't call for a Tony Stark style character. And trying to out-Downey Jr. RDJ is impossible.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand