Advertisement

Review Group #377 - The Movement #1 / Suicide Risk #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1205 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Review Group #377 - The Movement #1 / Suicide Risk #1

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon May 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Keiron Gillen has a new comic out that week, could be an opportunity for someone to call him a twat.

Avengers Arena would be good for some fanboy outrage.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1205 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 559 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm

That is a really cool cover 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

PhoenixEquinox
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Podcaster

Postby PhoenixEquinox » Mon May 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Suicide Risk #1
This book was interesting in a word. The concept is different than most superpower books I've read. For those who don't know the concept is that in this world superpowers can be bought and most people who buy them end up using them for nefarious purposes. There really aren't any heroes except of course for the police who have to try and combat thevillians. I think this turn in the genre is very complex because if you could buy a superpower would you really use it altruistically? I mean really? Probably not. And this seems like the common theme of superpower books fromBOOM! Although admittingly the only other BOOM! Book I've read part of was Waid's Irreddeemable, so maybe my position is a little narrowed.
Carey does a very good job at world-building in this issue. He really gives us enough stuff to help us connect with the main character although I'm not really sure what his name is cause I think thy use like three different names for him throughout the book which can get confusing when writing a first issue. I enjoyed the little things he did in this issue, for example, the villains have terrible names like Dr. Maybe and Voiceover. At a first glance this could be seen as a lack of creativity from Carey, but come on this is Mike Carey the same guy who writes The Unwritten, so after thinking about it their names are horrible because anyone who would buy superpowers to a rob a bank wouldn't be creative enough to come up with a good name. He also weaves a good mystery throughout the issue about these villas' choosing to go bad which does entice me enough to pick up issue #2. I'm only confused a little with the title. I expected his partner to commit suicide, but I guess Carey is gonna tease that out a little more even though his foreshadowing was a little heavy-handed to use a terrible pun.
Casagrande's art was serviceable. Sometimes it was a little confusing like I had to look a couple times to understand what Mori was doing to people before I realized she was turning them to dust. Another part that threw me for a bit of loop was at the main character's son's birthday party when he interacted with both his wife and his daughter and they didn't show his wife's face so at first I thought they were the same and then instantly felt weirded out by the innuendo she made just a panel before, before I figured out they were different people and sighed a sigh of relief that we weren't going down that road.
Overall I enjoyed this issue more than expected andi will definitely try to pick up the next issue.

8/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

Fuck fuck fuck we are running out of time, people! And I just checked and this week's books did not improve overnight by magic elves or whatnot.

What if I pick the book by Ghostface Killah and RZA? Will anyone read it??

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 am

Keb and Jude, surely?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 490 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am

sure
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 am

Fuck yeah then, that book is supposed to have a kickass set of rotating artists like DJs taking turns spinning records.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.a ... il_1257104

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

That cover is sweet.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 490 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

The Movement

Holy nut sack, was that bad. The "heroes" of this book ruined the life of a good cop, have no real direction, and a a bunch of snooty brats. This book reads like it is the big business way of discrediting OWS, not paying homage to it. The art was boring and I hate every character who is not the captain. Nothing in #1 made me want to read #2

1/10
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue May 07, 2013 1:27 pm

GHERU wrote: This book reads like it is the big business way of discrediting OWS, not paying homage to it.

I knew it. :-D

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Maybe so, but based on Simone's political leanings as expressed through mainly her tweets I think it's another case of liberals/Democrats not having any inkling of how to frame their pet concepts with a narrative that isn't either hamfisted, ridiculous, or both. On a broader scale, this was evident during the thick of the Occupy so-called movement. The people representing them in the media were a bunch of morons, largely. They weren't intellectuals, and they couldn't agree on or express eloquently any narrative for social change and it wasn't any task at all for the media to discredit them or make them look more clownish than they already managed on their own.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue May 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Maybe so, but based on Simone's political leanings as expressed through mainly her tweets I think it's another case of...not having any inkling of how to frame their pet concepts with a narrative that isn't either hamfisted, ridiculous, or both.

This could also apply to Batgirl. :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 07, 2013 1:49 pm

GLX wrote:
This could also apply to Batgirl. :P

From what I've read, yes it could. There are many, many people who think otherwise--who knows, perhaps I am wrong?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
From what I've read, yes it could. There are many, many people who think otherwise--who knows, perhaps I am wrong?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand