Advertisement

Warren: Student Loans Should Have Same Rate Big Banks Get

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Warren: Student Loans Should Have Same Rate Big Banks Ge

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 am

Rockman wrote:the problem is you have the government giving student loans to anyone regardless of whether or not they will ever be capable of paying back their loan. Colleges have no problem selling students useless degrees for 80 grand.

I just think the loan giver should be able to look at your major and say "you know what you're not likely to be able to pay this back on an art degree, so I'm not going to give you a loan."

This is all entirely irrelevant to the interest rate.

Hab

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Hab really has no clue how a conversation works

Rock

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 pm

Rockman wrote:Hab really has no clue how a conversation works

Rock

If you don't quote anyone you're having a conversation with yourself genius.

Hab

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm

18 posts in and only 3 of them contain quotes. Awful lot of people in here talking to themselves there sport.

Rock

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Rockman wrote:18 posts in and only 3 of them contain quotes. Awful lot of people in here talking to themselves there sport.

Rock

Because only maybe 3 were having a conversation buttercup.

Hab

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Just forgive all debt. Start over.

Yup, I still have to file my forbearance request.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 1:02 pm

I would compromise with allowing all the interest to be tax deductible, not just a cap of $2500 (I think that's the right amount).
-

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 383 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

a higher education shouldn't be just for the rich... anyone who truly wants to go to school and learn and get a degree, or even attend a tech school and learn a trade should be able to.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:That is a damn good idea. There has to be a catch...
The catch would be a lot less people going to college, since the banks & private colleges would offer significantly less student loan options (no high interest = no $$$$). That would mean the government would have to subsidize student loans and the amount of eligible students will fluctuate significantly, depending upon the political winds.

The biggest change is re-educating high school students and their parents that college is not the sole option to a successful and lucrative career. (Some might claim it's no longer a valid option, lol.)
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

e_galston wrote:a higher education shouldn't be just for the rich... anyone who truly wants to go to school and learn and get a degree, or even attend a tech school and learn a trade should be able to.
You're proposing an educational inflation. Instead of everyone having the right to a high school degree, now it's going to be a bachelor's or associate's degree? I don't know that you're wrong, but I don't know if it's right, either. Until we can have a truly merit-based society (which is nigh-impossible in a capitalistic setting), there has to be some type of distinction to qualify people for particular career paths.

I'm not smart enough to know any other method than "You want this? You gotta buy it." :derp:
-

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 383 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

outsider wrote:You're proposing an educational inflation. Instead of everyone having the right to a high school degree, now it's going to be a bachelor's or associate's degree? I don't know that you're wrong, but I don't know if it's right, either. Until we can have a truly merit-based society (which is nigh-impossible in a capitalistic setting), there has to be some type of distinction to qualify people for particular career paths.

I'm not smart enough to know any other method than "You want this? You gotta buy it." :derp:

i'm not saying it should be free... but it shouldn't cost as much as it does right now to get a degree, or a certificate from a trade school...

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm

outsider wrote:You're proposing an educational inflation. Instead of everyone having the right to a high school degree, now it's going to be a bachelor's or associate's degree? I don't know that you're wrong, but I don't know if it's right, either. Until we can have a truly merit-based society (which is nigh-impossible in a capitalistic setting), there has to be some type of distinction to qualify people for particular career paths.

You could design a program that works for trade schools as well.

It could also be set up that it's in the banks best interest to give out the loans, there isn't the same risk associated like there was with the housing market.

Hab

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

habitual wrote:
You could design a program that works for trade schools as well.

It could also be set up that it's in the banks best interest to give out the loans, there isn't the same risk associated like there was with the housing market.

Hab
Trade schools seem to have a significantly lower number of potential drop-outs/fuck-ups than the broader college system. The risk isn't the same as with the housing market, but there's still a great amount - not every student is going to pay back their loans *OR* the banks make the application process more rigorous. The problem is that while people have the option to rent property versus owning a property, there isn't a direct correlation for the educational/job market.

The traditional blue collar/white collar situation simply doesn't exist and we have people with Master's degrees making $40k per year. There's no established formula for success--rather, the established formula has proven to be wrong. I think it's finally falling upon the colleges and universities to prove their institution's worth. I'm still more than a decade from sending a child to college, but I can't say I have faith that a degree will be worth the investment.
-

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm

outsider wrote:Trade schools seem to have a significantly lower number of potential drop-outs/fuck-ups than the broader college system. The risk isn't the same as with the housing market, but there's still a great amount - not every student is going to pay back their loans *OR* the banks make the application process more rigorous. The problem is that while people have the option to rent property versus owning a property, there isn't a direct correlation for the educational/job market.

The traditional blue collar/white collar situation simply doesn't exist and we have people with Master's degrees making $40k per year. There's no established formula for success--rather, the established formula has proven to be wrong. I think it's finally falling upon the colleges and universities to prove their institution's worth. I'm still more than a decade from sending a child to college, but I can't say I have faith that a degree will be worth the investment.

Wouldn't lowering the interest rate make it easier for students to repay?

It's not like banks aren't passing the loans out like candy right now.

Hab

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 pm

habitual wrote:
Wouldn't lowering the interest rate make it easier for students to repay?

Hab
Easier, yes.

But the type that won't repay their loans won't care if they're paying 0.5% interest or 6.75% interest.
/classist'd
//maybealittleracisttoo'd?

What the hell is wrong with the cat in your avatar?
-

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum