Advertisement

Jupiter's Legacy #1 (Guy's still living in 1935 Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Jupiter's Legacy #1 (Guy's still living in 1935 Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 pm

I’m sure everyone was looking forward to this comic. Mark Millar doing a massive superhero story once more, and he’s joined by none other than Frank Fucking Quitely. How could it not be great? Well, the artwork is of course up to Quitely’s usual high standards (I know some people don’t like his work, but quite frankly, those people are idiots), this is a beautiful looking comic and I’m looking forward to poring over it in the coming weeks before #2 comes out. As for the story itself, it’s promising, but it’s not all there yet for me. We open in 1932, as a group of intrepid explorers are searching for a mysterious island that their leader believes will help them save America from it’s economic and social woes. They find the island, and for unexplained reasons, become superheroes. Jump cut to the present day and these superheroes are still around, but the real trouble is with their ne’er-do-well children, who are more interested in making money and fucking around than saving the world.

It’s an interesting high concept, as Millar’s creator-owned work always is, but so far we’re only at the introductory stage, and not much more than scene-setting has taken place at this point. There are some very interesting bits here and there, the argument between Utopian (the Superman analogue) and his brother was very good, and kind of a summation of the last 20 years of superhero discourse, should they interfere in the real world? Millar and Quitely’s last collaboration in The Authority featured heroes that most definitely did interfere, will they do so here? Just like in The Authority, Millar does really well at exploring the idea of superheroes as celebrities and interestingly, showing how America is just as fucked now as it was in 1929.

But I still think the real story of Jupiter’s Legacy won’t start until #2. Do we know how long this series is going to run? I thought I heard 4 issues at one point, but I’m not sure if that’s right. I think this world is rich enough to warrant maybe 12 issues if Quitely can do that. One thing that stood out to me was how much this comic seems like Millar’s love letter to superheroes as a whole, the whole ‘summit of American aspiration’ thing, it’s powerful stuff, and much more earnest than the normally cynical Millar. His last earnest comic was the wonderful Superior, I hope this can be as good as that, it already looks as good.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 994 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Jupiter's Legacy #1 (Guy's still living in 1935 Spoilers

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm

I was going to pick this up when I went to my LCS this week but I found that I couldn't really get into it. I loved Quitely's art but I feel that this may be a series that I am simply going to wait for the trade.
ImageImageImage

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 994 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm

My LCS still had plenty of copies of this when I went to pick up my books yesterday, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I decided to go with the Phil Noto cover because the Quitely cover is atrocious which is hard for me to say because I really like Quitely's art. Inside of the book, the artwork was absolutely gorgeous.

Honestly, this book is intriguing enough and I will probably pick up the second issue now without any hesitation. That being said, I am more interested in the older generation of characters, how they got their powers, and what they did with them than I am in their kids. The battle with Blackstar offered a really interesting take on super-heroics and the conversation afterwards set a nice tone for the direction that this series make take later on. The only one of the kids who really interested me was Brandon Sampson but that may be the point because I think he is supposed to be the main character. By the end of the book, I was actually happy that Chloe may have died.
ImageImageImage

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Punchy wrote: Do we know how long this series is going to run? I thought I heard 4 issues at one point, but I’m not sure if that’s right. I think this world is rich enough to warrant maybe 12 issues if Quitely can do that.

I don't remember the exact count, but I seem to recall it being three 4-6 issue 'acts' with a hiatus between them. Something like that. So 12-18 issues. There about.
-Bill-

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 pm

This is good.

Of the new titles I'm picking up East of West is currently my favorite, but, this could be up there.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand