Monday, September 26, 2016 • Morning Edition • "At least we're not Newsarama!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Justice League Of America #3 (Souvenir for the Catcave Spoil

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 am

This book is frustrating. There’s some really good parts, but also some stupid parts. I liked the opening which showed how Stargirl is basically just considered a spokesperson for the team by ARGUS and Waller and the conflict that’s going to cause. We all know that Stargirl is one of Johns’ favourite creations (she’s based on his dead sister, which is a great tribute), so I’m confident that Johns will be able to play out this media commentary story effectively. When Johns cares, good stuff normally happens. I also like the way Green Arrow messed up and screwed with the team’s plan to get Catwoman undercover. I don’t know why every other superhero seems to hate New 52 Green Arrow (is it because he shaved his beard?) but his sad-sack loser nature works for me.

But other than that…

I don’t care about the Secret Society of Super-Villains at all, I’ve always hated Hawkman and Katana is a big ball of bland. I also can’t believe that Johns is trying to make me take Vibe seriously. It’s fucking Vibe for God’s sake! VIBE! He’s not credible at all. I suppose the Catwoman stuff is pretty good too, Johns seems to have a good handle on her. But yeah, this book still feels like it’s reaching to be something more than it is, I can’t put my finger on it. David Finch’s artwork looked good though, I’ve always liked his art. I just kind of want to get to the fireworks factory and have this team fight the main team already, we all know it’s coming, let’s get it out of the way with.
User avatar

Johnny Smith

rubber spoon

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Punchy wrote:But other than that…

I don’t care about the Secret Society of Super-Villains at all, I’ve always hated Hawkman and Katana is a big ball of bland. I also can’t believe that Johns is trying to make me take Vibe seriously. It’s fucking Vibe for God’s sake! VIBE! He’s not credible at all. I suppose the Catwoman stuff is pretty good too, Johns seems to have a good handle on her. But yeah, this book still feels like it’s reaching to be something more than it is, I can’t put my finger on it. David Finch’s artwork looked good though, I’ve always liked his art. I just kind of want to get to the fireworks factory and have this team fight the main team already, we all know it’s coming, let’s get it out of the way with.


We should all be happy that Johns brought back Signal Man :-D and made him a member of the Secret Society.


This was a nice scene in the comic for Catwoman
Image


You forgot to mention the Martian Manhunter/Catwoman backup by Matt Kindt! A very interesting ... mind bonding session :-D
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Punchy wrote:I don’t know why every other superhero seems to hate New 52 Green Arrow (is it because he shaved his beard?) but his sad-sack loser nature works for me.


It's like looking in a mirror for you, right?? :P

I just kind of want to get to the fireworks factory and have this team fight the main team already, we all know it’s coming, let’s get it out of the way with.


Image
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri May 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Ah, leave this Vibe alone Punchy. He's only had barely 6 appearance so far.

And funny how you don't like Katana yet went ape over the Black Widow becoming a murderous cunt in Avengers this week.

I dig how the Secret Society really is a secret and especially liked Catwoman this issue (tying in nicely with her own book's crossover with this issue).

Of course no issue is perfect and J'Onn being colored like Batman is a big coloring and editorial goof.
Image
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Amoebas wrote:Ah, leave this Vibe alone Punchy. He's only had barely 6 appearance so far.

And funny how you don't like Katana yet went ape over the Black Widow becoming a murderous cunt in Avengers this week.

I dig how the Secret Society really is a secret and especially liked Catwoman this issue (tying in nicely with her own book's crossover with this issue).

Of course no issue is perfect and J'Onn being colored like Batman is a big coloring and editorial goof.
Image



Bwaaaaa haaaa haaaa brutal mistake
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Amoebas wrote:Ah, leave this Vibe alone Punchy. He's only had barely 6 appearance so far.


And he wishes he was as cool as the real deal. 8)

Of course no issue is perfect and J'Onn being colored like Batman is a big coloring and editorial goof.
Image


Image
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Amoebas wrote:Ah, leave this Vibe alone Punchy. He's only had barely 6 appearance so far.

And funny how you don't like Katana yet went ape over the Black Widow becoming a murderous cunt in Avengers this week.

I dig how the Secret Society really is a secret and especially liked Catwoman this issue (tying in nicely with her own book's crossover with this issue).

Of course no issue is perfect and J'Onn being colored like Batman is a big coloring and editorial goof.


Black Widow has always been a killer to my memory. She was an assassin for the KGB and then for SHIELD, she's not Spider-Man, she kills.

Katana is just lame, as is Vibe!
User avatar

Johnny Smith

rubber spoon

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

A woman who believes her dead husband's soul resides in her sword is not lame. Katana is the DC character Warren Ellis was born to write! ;)
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Punchy wrote:
Black Widow has always been a killer to my memory. She was an assassin for the KGB and then for SHIELD, she's not Spider-Man, she kills.

This is only a recent thing for her. From day was she was a spy - not an assassin.
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Punchy wrote:
Black Widow has always been a killer to my memory. She was an assassin for the KGB and then for SHIELD, she's not Spider-Man, she kills.

Katana is just lame, as is Vibe!


Katana, as a surrogate mother for halo, drawn by aparo, written by Barr, was pretty good
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sat May 11, 2013 7:10 am

holtom2000 wrote:
Katana, as a surrogate mother for halo, drawn by aparo, written by Barr, was pretty good


Indeed, the REAL Katana was great, as opposed to Nu Katana with her one-dimensional schtick... the schtick that Nocenti just ruined. :roll:
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 am

I agree with Punch in the regard that this book is trying too hard -- look. I don't have a problem giving a new Vibe a chance in a reset reality. Seriously, I don't.

But why is it that if you're going to do that, that we, as readers, have to get the "Rookie Hero Who Clearly Isn't Ready for the Big Leagues...Nonetheless Running Around with Big Leaguers?"

Why is it that we can't get some training sequences, a la the X-Men in the Danger Room, so for once in my freaking life, JUST ONCE, we don't get the tired trope of the new guy learning on the job while his teammates' lives are at stake?

On what effing planet would somebody like Steve Trevor or Catwoman or Hawkman or Katana let themselves get killed because somebody like Vibe doesn't know what the hell he's doing? It just diminishes the concept of Vibe and wastes panels in a book that costs $3.99 by having him standing there saying, "Golly gee, guys. Sorry -- didn't mean to mess that up."

Seriously? Why does this trope even exist? For the modern era of comics-writing, it's damn ridiculous.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sat May 11, 2013 1:11 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I agree with Punch in the regard that this book is trying too hard -- look. I don't have a problem giving a new Vibe a chance in a reset reality. Seriously, I don't.

But why is it that if you're going to do that, that we, as readers, have to get the "Rookie Hero Who Clearly Isn't Ready for the Big Leagues...Nonetheless Running Around with Big Leaguers?"

Why is it that we can't get some training sequences, a la the X-Men in the Danger Room, so for once in my freaking life, JUST ONCE, we don't get the tired trope of the new guy learning on the job while his teammates' lives are at stake?

On what effing planet would somebody like Steve Trevor or Catwoman or Hawkman or Katana let themselves get killed because somebody like Vibe doesn't know what the hell he's doing? It just diminishes the concept of Vibe and wastes panels in a book that costs $3.99 by having him standing there saying, "Golly gee, guys. Sorry -- didn't mean to mess that up."

Seriously? Why does this trope even exist? For the modern era of comics-writing, it's damn ridiculous.


That's Naïve Newcomer and Rookie Red Ranger to YOU, pal! :x :P

The former:
"Character whose inexperience with the world presented by the show allows them to act as the Audience Surrogate. Often it is through their eyes that we are introduced to the show's principal characters and milieu (see Welcome Episode)."

The latter:
"Where the most powerful member is the Naïve Newcomer. In some series the protagonist starts his adventure by joining a group that's already been in business for a while before the events of the story. This is often to help the audience to relate to the hero more, as we're meeting the main ensemble with him."

Hey, you asked. :wink:
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Herald wrote:
That's Naïve Newcomer and Rookie Red Ranger to YOU, pal! :x :P

The former:
"Character whose inexperience with the world presented by the show allows them to act as the Audience Surrogate. Often it is through their eyes that we are introduced to the show's principal characters and milieu (see Welcome Episode)."

The latter:
"Where the most powerful member is the Naïve Newcomer. In some series the protagonist starts his adventure by joining a group that's already been in business for a while before the events of the story. This is often to help the audience to relate to the hero more, as we're meeting the main ensemble with him."

Hey, you asked. :wink:


Herald, man, YOU ARE AWESOME. I knew you'd come through with the right tropes! :-D :-D

The biggest problem with those is that it absolutely doesn't help the audience relate to the hero more....because it's a freaking comic book! I can't relate to a kid getting caught in a Boom Tube and somehow getting vibration powers that don't allow him to be photographed! I mean, seriously, comic book creators! We're reading these damn things because we live in the real world and we DON'T want to relate to these characters and concepts -- otherwise, it's like real life!

In real life, we're surrounded by idiots and incompetence every day! Why would I want to read about that in a comic book character who might run into Deathstroke or Black Adam one day while they're still trying to "understand my own strength!"

It's always been a silly concept, but in today's storytelling where you have Black Adam murdering entire countries, yeah, it's pretty stupid where the Good Guys always have this one anchor weighing them down because "I don't know if I'm ready for this!"

It's OK, Comic Book Writers. I don't need to see "Baffled Vibe." I'm reading the book, which means I have an interest in the characters and concepts. I'm willing to give Vibe a chance. Why not just not make him a loser, for once?
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Herald, man, YOU ARE AWESOME. I knew you'd come through with the right tropes! :-D :-D


:-D

The biggest problem with those is that it absolutely doesn't help the audience relate to the hero more....because it's a freaking comic book! I can't relate to a kid getting caught in a Boom Tube and somehow getting vibration powers that don't allow him to be photographed! I mean, seriously, comic book creators! We're reading these damn things because we live in the real world and we DON'T want to relate to these characters and concepts -- otherwise, it's like real life!


Willing Suspension of Disbelief

"An author's work, in other words, does not have to be realistic, only believable and internally consistent..."

In real life, we're surrounded by idiots and incompetence every day!


Surrounded by Idiots

Why would I want to read about that in a comic book character who might run into Deathstroke or Black Adam one day while they're still trying to "understand my own strength!"


Does Not Know His Own Strength

It's always been a silly concept, but in today's storytelling where you have Black Adam murdering entire countries, yeah, it's pretty stupid where the Good Guys always have this one anchor weighing them down because "I don't know if I'm ready for this!"


The Load

It's OK, Comic Book Writers. I don't need to see "Baffled Vibe." I'm reading the book, which means I have an interest in the characters and concepts. I'm willing to give Vibe a chance. Why not just not make him a loser, for once?


Must... write... my REAL Vibe fanfic... :wink:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests