Advertisement

Thor: God Of Thunder #8 (Let the Hammers talk Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Thor: God Of Thunder #8 (Let the Hammers talk Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 am

It’s only been 8 issues, but I think I can say with confidence that this is my favourite Thor story ever. I just love the scope and scale (they mean the same thing I know, but I like the alliteration) of what Aaron and Ribic are doing here, this is a true epic in an age when that word is used waaay too much, and I admit to doing it myself. This issue focuses mainly on Young Thor, as he deals with being pressed into slavery by Gorr. We see him meet 3 mysterious Goddesses who turn out to be his own granddaughters. I personally thought they might have been young versions of the All-Mother, but this works too, even with the icky incestuous tone of some of the scenes. I also found Young Thor’s conversation with Gorr’s son to be very interesting, as Aaron once again brings up the notion that, in attempting to kill all of the Gods, Gorr has become one himself. I wonder if the end of this arc will involve Gorr committing suicide?

The stuff with Present-Day Thor and King Thor was also great, I love the tone of the narration, all that over the top stuff about Cosmic Winds and the like, that was some cool stuff. And then at the end, we’ve got what we’ve been waiting for, all three Thors on the same time, and they are going to bring the Hammer down. Those last few pages were just pure awesome, you’ve got Esad Ribic on the top of his game, you’ve got Jason Aaron writing some of the most stone-cold bad-ass dialogue of all time, and you’ve got three fucking Thors. Oh yes, verily, this story is going to end well, I can feel it.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 584 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Thor: God Of Thunder #8 (Let the Hammers talk Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm

The thing that intrigued me the most about this issue was what happened at the end. Theoretically, young Thor should be dead right? But no, somehow he survived an incomprehensible explosion that hurtled him into space and allowed him to join up with present day and future Thor. Not only that but the incomprehensible explosion that I mentioned didn't even dent the Godbomb? I'm wondering if they aren't going to pull some type of Doctor Who level stunt at the finale of this story and lock Gorr and his Godbomb in some type of time lock. With all the manipulation of time going on, not just in this story but the Marvel Universe as a whole, it would make a lot of sense.
ImageImageImage

TS Punk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby TS Punk » Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Dammit I have to wait til next Thursday to get this book!!! I want to read it so bad right now!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 11, 2013 10:42 am

I agree with you, Punch -- my favorite Thor story, ever. The contrast between Young Thor, Current Thor and King Thor is so damn funny and entertaining, it's just awesome to read.

I think it's actually criminally underrated how well Jason Aaron is writing these different versions of the same character. Young Thor's biggest regret of not being able to lift Mjolnir before he thought we was going to die...that was awesome. After reading the beaten-down King Thor in the first few issues, it's been tremendous seeing how he responds to having the younger versions of himself around, though they vex him mightily.

My favorite parts: When Young Thor unknowingly referred to his future granddaughters as "damnable wenches" and when he said, "Damned time travel. Who knew such a thing existed" -- that LOL funny. :-D

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand