Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #8 (There's a deep game underway Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny Avengers #8 (There's a deep game underway Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

This book continues to get better and better for me, it’s just getting so big and so crazy. I love it. I also love how it’s building on what was already a huge story in Uncanny X-Force and making it even more insane. It’s going to be a great moment when Wolverine is finally forced to reveal what went down to the rest of the team. Also interesting is that the threat of the Apocalypse Twins is more complicated than I initially thought. They aren’t working alongside Kang, but instead have turned against him and are doing what they are doing in order to get at their adopted father. It looks like some of this will be explained in the upcoming Age Of Ultron tie-in issue, which should be very interesting.

I said it about last issue, but I’m going to say it again, this is the best work of Daniel Acuna’s career, he’s pulling off insane scale space stuff at the same time as drawing Captain America in amongst the dirt and war in Sudan, it’s very impressive. In amongst all of the explosions and space debris, I continue to be very impressed with how Rick Remender is developing the characters and team relationships here. I don’t think I’ve read a comic with Sunfire in it since the 90s, but I already have a good feel for his arrogant character. When the God in the room is the humble one, you know you’ve got issues! I also really liked the scene between Rogue and Wolverine, and even little tidbits like Havok wondering if he should go to his brother for help… it’s all great stuff.

It’s become apparent by now that alongside all of the crazy cosmic explosions, the real theme of this series is unity and human and mutant getting along, and as such, the quiet scenes are just as important, and of course, the aforementioned crazy cosmic is a deliberate ploy on the part of the Apocalypse Twins to destroy that unity. The Captain America scenes in this issue were a bit more straightforward, as Cap kicks the ass of some Sudanese militants in classic Cap fashion (I love the casual way he catches his shield in one panel), but there’s interesting stuff here to, with someone apparently making him crash-land in Sudan on purpose? Who is it? Nick Fury? Kang? Who knows?

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Re: Uncanny Avengers #8 (There's a deep game underway Spoile

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 10, 2013 11:22 am

Punchy wrote:I said it about last issue, but I’m going to say it again, this is the best work of Daniel Acuna’s career, he’s pulling off insane scale space stuff at the same time as drawing Captain America in amongst the dirt and war in Sudan, it’s very impressive.

Acuna's a good fit for Remender's stories.

Punchy wrote:but there’s interesting stuff here to, with someone apparently making him crash-land in Sudan on purpose? Who is it? Nick Fury? Kang? Who knows?

Probably Kang but it could be Immortus ...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

Johnny Smith wrote:
Acuna's a good fit for Remender's stories.

Probably Kang but it could be Immortus ...

Kang is Immortus though :smt102

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 948 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Punchy wrote:This book continues to get better and better for me, it’s just getting so big and so crazy. I love it. I also love how it’s building on what was already a huge story in Uncanny X-Force and making it even more insane. It’s going to be a great moment when Wolverine is finally forced to reveal what went down to the rest of the team.

So Avengers, suddenly Cyclops isn't looking so bad after all. :P

In amongst all of the explosions and space debris, I continue to be very impressed with how Rick Remender is developing the characters and team relationships here. I don’t think I’ve read a comic with Sunfire in it since the 90s, but I already have a good feel for his arrogant character. When the God in the room is the humble one, you know you’ve got issues!

I haven't cared for Remender's characterization of most of the characters so far but man, I have to admit he really got Shiro in this issue. I wasn't sure that I would like Sunfire being added to the Avengers but his interaction with Thor was priceless and he really proved his worth here.

I also really liked the scene between Rogue and Wolverine, and even little tidbits like Havok wondering if he should go to his brother for help… it’s all great stuff.

This was definitely the first time that this team has actually felt like a team to me. I'm glad they stopped bickering among themselves for 5 minutes but I don't think it will last. As you mentioned earlier, Wolverine's secrets are going to come to the surface. It's only a matter of time.

The Captain America scenes in this issue were a bit more straightforward, as Cap kicks the ass of some Sudanese militants in classic Cap fashion (I love the casual way he catches his shield in one panel), but there’s interesting stuff here to, with someone apparently making him crash-land in Sudan on purpose? Who is it? Nick Fury? Kang? Who knows?

If the Apocalypse Twins really are working against Kang, then I suspect he is the one who set this entire thing up. Which opens the door to all kinds of possibilities.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand