Advertisement

Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Why Free Comic Book Day Fails.

Postby Regulator » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm

outsider wrote:DC & Marvel need to find a better way to put their old comics in digital format. I tried a sample of the Superman & Shazam trade on the Kindle, and it was very unpleasant to read.

They're very pleasant to read on a 10" tablet. Explore the medium a bit more before you write it off.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 pm

habitual wrote:
That will never happen because it would alienate there biggest distributors.

It wouldn't make any sense business wise.

Hab

No if their biggest distributors were also involved in the reaching out to mainstream retailers.

I recall reading earlier in the thread that Hastings gets it's comics through Diamond. It would be logical for Diamond to be involved in distributing books to other mainstream retailers as well.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Regulator wrote:
They're very pleasant to read on a 10" tablet. Explore the medium a bit more before you write it off.

That would obviously require him to get a 10' tablet. And buying a tablet just to read comics might not make too much financial sense.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
And again, not every publisher has all their magazines on sale at the supermarket magazine stand. In those cases, Marvel/DC/ etc. should work on at least getting the big books out in those kind of retailers, and work on getting the bigger line in the bookstores.

Yeah, I think big profile superheroes could do the trick. And once you get your new audience hooked they can try other more 'obscure' comics.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 12, 2013 8:45 am

Arion wrote:
Yeah, I think big profile superheroes could do the trick.

They do this at Toys R Us and it works fine there (but only if you like buying your books in a fair to poor manhandled condition).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 am

Amoebas wrote:They do this at Toys R Us and it works fine there (but only if you like buying your books in a fair to poor manhandled condition).

The one by me has a little rack of completely wrecked, out of date comics in the little corner where they put the final markdown stuff. These aren't bringing many sales, or else they would put more care into the merchandising and display like they do in most other areas of the store.

Comics fans are in delusion to think that a) more of these "big box" stores would want comics, and b) that it would cause a huge groundswell of readership.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
The one by me has a little rack of completely wrecked, out of date comics in the little corner where they put the final markdown stuff. These aren't bringing many sales, or else they would put more care into the merchandising and display like they do in most other areas of the store.

Comics fans are in delusion to think that a) more of these "big box" stores would want comics, and b) that it would cause a huge groundswell of readership.

The one by my house had the comics in the aisle where they sold super-hero stuff.

- Sons of the Desert

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am

Victorian Squid wrote:

Comic fans are in delusion if they think there is such a thing, anywhere to be found, as a "huge groundswell of new readership".

Having comics in Target isn't going to fix the woes of the industry. Big Box stores aren't going to care about the industry, they're going to care if they can make a profit. So, let's say you get comics in Target. You won't see an instant explosion in sales on them, because the demand isn't there in Target's customer base. For proof: how often does Target get asked "hey, do you carry comics?". So, they need to invest time, money, and expensive floorspace into these funnybooks, and build a customer base for them from the ground up. The length of time it takes for them to do that, if it EVER happens, is all lost money. Why would they risk that on a gamble? It makes no sense.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 am

Ooh, someone works in retail! Agree with all of this and will add anecdotally that when I was in Target yesterday, I saw some kids killing time while their mom was shopping. What were they doing? Were they looking at toys? Books? Magazines? NO. They were sitting on some of the display furniture playing video games on a tablet computer the mom had given to keep them occupied and in one place.

The hurdle comics faces is price and perceived value--they ran so far ahead on raising prices before the worldwide economy tanked, and then they responded by cutting content and cheaper quality (thin paper covers, for example). But it's price that drives long-time collectors out of the market, and it's that poor dollar value that keeps parents from introducing kids to comics.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 am

Which is why any new readership initiative needs to be digital and come at drastically reduced prices than the print versions.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Regulator wrote:Which is why any new readership initiative needs to be digital and come at drastically reduced prices than the print versions.

I'm not seriously holding my breath with the "reduced prices". At least not with new comics. iTunes started selling new songs at $0.99. Now most of them are $1.29.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

I'm not seriously holding my breath with the "reduced prices". At least not with new comics. iTunes started selling new songs at $0.99. Now most of them are $1.29.

That's an astounding "leap" in logic, even for you.

Hab

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

I don't see why. Obviously, apples have red peels. Ergo, turtles MUST love to eat chimichangas. That's science, man.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun May 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

They increased the price? My goodness.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

I'm just not seeing prices come down for new comics Comixology in the future. I've heard for years how technology was supposed to make all kinds of things cheaper (cable/satelite, medical services, etc) Hasn't happened yet for the most part.

Even if physical production costs go down, you'd still have to factor in labor. And I have doubts that the bigger creators like Bendis or Millar or Cassady are going to get any less expensive. That's probably where a big chunk of production costs go.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand