Advertisement

What did NBC greenlight instead of Sixth Gun?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 248 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: What did NBC greenlight instead of Sixth Gun?

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 pm

I think they aired it on Fridays (I could be wrong)

which people always scream "death slot"

but Fox had a lot of success with X-files on Fridays for a while, and even gave the dollhouse a second season.

Ultimately it was Whedon's first shot at a big 4 network show, I thought it was really good, but it just didn't get the nielsen ratings. People need to stop whining about it.

Not to say you're not right about it being a bad decision, it is retrospectively. But when you only use those nielsen numbers it's hard to say sometimes.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Rockman wrote:I think they aired it on Fridays (I could be wrong)

which people always scream "death slot"

but Fox had a lot of success with X-files on Fridays for a while, and even gave the dollhouse a second season.

Ultimately it was Whedon's first shot at a big 4 network show, I thought it was really good, but it just didn't get the nielsen ratings. People need to stop whining about it.

Not to say you're not right about it being a bad decision, it is retrospectively. But when you only use those nielsen numbers it's hard to say sometimes.

Right, Friday nights which is why I often missed it and bought the DVDs. Death slot for the right demo, at least.

A smart exec would have stuck with it another season, we might be discussing a whole different story. :smt102

Ultimately it doesn't affect my life, I don't whine. I got a T-shirt in a grab bag and people go out of their way to try and bond with you over the show. It had legs they didn't recognize at the time (but it's their job to recognize that, let's not forget). And look at Whedon now, to underscore that! It goes back to what I was saying to Zero, what a difference a decade makes.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun May 12, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm

It was aired intermittently on Fridays and episodes were played out of order. Fox pretty much guaranteed it's cancellation by airing it in that fashion. Pretty incompetent.

Hab

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Right, Friday nights which is why I often missed it and bought the DVDs. Death slot for the right demo, at least.

A smart exec would have stuck with it another season, we might be discussing a whole different story. :smt102

Ultimately it doesn't affect my life, I don't whine. I got a T-shirt in a grab bag and people go out of their way to try and bond with you over the show. It had legs they didn't recognize at the time (but it's their job to recognize that, let's not forget). And look at Whedon now, to underscore that! It goes back to what I was saying to Zero, what a difference a decade makes.

I do wonder how a second season would have done. A small dedicated fanbase didn't help the movie be successful.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 pm

habitual wrote:It was aired intermittently on Fridays and episodes were played out of order. Fox pretty much guaranteed it's cancellation by airing it in that fashion. Pretty incompetent.

Hab

A lot of shows are aired intermittently. And while it was stupid to air episodes out of order, it's not like the show had a serial storyline that was damaged by it.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Rockman wrote:
A lot of shows are aired intermittently. And while it was stupid to air episodes out of order, it's not like the show had a serial storyline that was damaged by it.

Have you actually watched it?

Simon and River's story arc, the main arc of the show, was entirely a serial storyline.

I think the first episode that aired was Objects in Space, which made absolutely no sense without knowledge of what was going on.

Hab
Last edited by habitual on Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Like I say, I'm not cheerleading for the show but I think it's widely acknowledge it was handled incompetently. :smt102

If you disagree, then keep on keepin on.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Like I say, I'm not cheerleading for the show but I think it's widely acknowledge it was handled incompetently. :smt102

If you disagree, then keep on keepin on.

I think fans say that it was handled incompetently because they can't fathom that their favorite tv show simply wasn't that popular.

Yes airing episodes out of order is not a good way to encourage viewers to stick with your show.

But FOX has mishandled other shows so much worse than this one, Futurama's initial run was plagued with endless delays and time slot changes, never letting the fans know, let alone allowing it to find a time slot it would be comfortable.

The initial run of Family Guy had the same issues.

It's a miracle that King of Hill survived at all, they used to air it before the simpsons on sundays and it would constantly get pre-empted completely due to baseball or something, have random timeslot changes etc...

But no, Firefly is bungled, because they aired the episodes IN ORDER, except they didn't air the pilot as the first episode they aired it as the last (which doesn't make sense). But you have to keep in mind that they had already made the decision to cancel the show at that point and didn't even air 3 episodes of the show.

For reference you can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series) and see the original air-date of each episode.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm

habitual wrote:
Have you actually watched it?

Simon and River's story arc, the main arc of the show, was entirely a serial storyline.

I think the first episode that aired was Objects in Space, which made absolutely no sense without knowledge of what was going on.

Hab

Nope The first episode was the Train Job.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Rockman wrote:
Nope The first episode was the Train Job.

Doesn't change the point. Going six months in between episodes didn't help either.

Hab

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:30 pm

habitual wrote:
Doesn't change the point. Going six months in between episodes didn't help either.

Hab

Six months?

The show aired from September 2002-December 2002 and was cancelled then. The 3 unaired episodes aired on the Sci-Fi channel in the UK 6 months later. :smt102 which has nothing to do with FOX

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

War stories episode 10 aired in 2002 episode 11 aired July 2003, that might've been Sci-Fi channel UK though.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 69 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I thought it had some terrible time-slots, but it's been over 10 years so maybe I don't remember that right. But given the fanbase and cult status, cancelling it too soon also amounts to a bad decision IMO. I liked the show well enough, but I run into hardcore fans of it all the time.

Hardcore fandom does not mean massive success. They made Serenity, and it didn't really catch on fire at the box office, either. Not every cult tv show becomes a serious cash cow like Star Trek did.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 7:58 pm

habitual wrote:Firefly was much more of a western than Defiance, which has been pretty good so far.

Hab

They're still both more SF than western. And Defiance is on a network that caters to SF.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 pm

habitual wrote:Firefly was much more of a western than Defiance, which has been pretty good so far.

Hab

It was still more SF than western.

And calling either Firefly or Defiance a western is like calling West Side Story, which was based on Romeo and Juliet, a work of Shakespeare.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum