Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

covalesky wrote:
I got One edition. I wasn't aware there were more than One :smile:

There's one that came out a couple of years ago, and then there's the one I bought which was printed in 2013. Both are from the same publisher but I don't know if they're the same or not...

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm

X-Statix Omnibus by Peter Milligan, Michael Allred & friends

Reading this just reminds me how awesome the x-titles could be at the turn of the century. While other titles were playing second string to New X-Men, this book was really doing something different. The fact that the series tackles celebrity and uniqueness in such an in-your-face manner makes it one of the better x-series of recent years. How it shifts X-Force from another run of the mill title to something completely out of left field is what makes this series stand out so well. I really enjoyed how Milligan managed to make this book feel like a mutant hero title with X-Force and then take it to a different level with X-Statix.

My problem with X-Statix was that the relationship between some characters was forced. Everyone was paired off but the nice thing was Phat and Vivisector weren't forced on the reader. Orphan and Venus Dee Milo were. Otherwise it was fun. I like how these characters are both ironic and shallow but manage to project deep personalities. The series definitely began its descent to cancellation with Spike Freeman's death though. The last story did managed to make me laugh. The final issue however was weird because the emotional investment was weird. I didn't like Guy, Tike or Venus so I didn't care how they died. I did like how every character was fair game and that some of them just had useless, meaningless deaths (El Guapo specifically). However, I think that also gives readers the incentive to not get attached to the characters.

Artistically every artist that worked on the series made the book. My favorite was Darwyn Cooke on the Wolverine/Doop 2-parter.he just threw in so many fun visuals and being from Toronto it was fun to guess which streets he was drawing in certain panels. Laura Allred's coloring really defined how vibrant the series was though. Mike Allred drew great Avengers too. I could really appreciate the bizarre mutations he drew as well. The only artist I felt didn't fit was Paul Pope.

The Dead Girl mini was kinda dumb and I thought it was unnecessary. I guess they did it to milk some cash off X-Statix fans before they all moved on. Felt more like Milligan was just having fun with his favorite dead characters. Kind of a throwaway mini if you ask me. Didn't get the Brotherhood issue in the middle of X-Force either. Even the shorts at the end were quick reads not worth noticing.

Overall its a good buy for $40. I would recommend the omnibus to people who want X-Men but don't want the continuity and crap that comes along with them.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 am

Arion wrote:
There's one that came out a couple of years ago, and then there's the one I bought which was printed in 2013. Both are from the same publisher but I don't know if they're the same or not...

I have the 2013 edition. :)

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Danger Club Vol. 1: Death - Imagine if DC or Marvel were to do an event comic where all the main heroes and even their villains were to go into space to fight some cosmic level threat...but didn't return. Now imagine that same world and the sidekicks are the only "heroes" left. They have no idea what happened to their partners, they have no idea if they are ever coming back, and they have to assume that whatever the heroes went to stop is still on it's way to Earth. :shock:

Damn. Landry Walker and Eric Jones waste no time dropping you right into the middle of a thriving universe filled with superheroes, mystery, and intrigue. Danger Club Vol. 1 picks up 3 months after the heroes of Earth have disappeared. Walker does a fantastic job introducing the reader to a rich world, filled with it's own mythology but he doesn't bog you down with trying to tell you what happened before. We might not know what Kid Vigilante's origin story is but that doesn't stop Walker from making him and the rest of the cast of Danger Club into some of the most interesting and dynamic new characters around.

Artistically, this book is gold. Eric Jones is a superstar. This trade may have only been 4 issues but Jones is steady and solid the entire time. Bottom line, this trade is $10 and it is an absolute steal. Buy it and enjoy!
ImageImageImage

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 593 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

I have the following gn's in a stack of books to read:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by outsider on Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Grayson wrote:

Danger Club Vol. 1: Death - Imagine if DC or Marvel were to do an event comic where all the main heroes and even their villains were to go into space to fight some cosmic level threat...but didn't return. Now imagine that same world and the sidekicks are the only "heroes" left. They have no idea what happened to their partners, they have no idea if they are ever coming back, and they have to assume that whatever the heroes went to stop is still on it's way to Earth. :shock:

Damn. Landry Walker and Eric Jones waste no time dropping you right into the middle of a thriving universe filled with superheroes, mystery, and intrigue. Danger Club Vol. 1 picks up 3 months after the heroes of Earth have disappeared. Walker does a fantastic job introducing the reader to a rich world, filled with it's own mythology but he doesn't bog you down with trying to tell you what happened before. We might not know what Kid Vigilante's origin story is but that doesn't stop Walker from making him and the rest of the cast of Danger Club into some of the most interesting and dynamic new characters around.

Artistically, this book is gold. Eric Jones is a superstar. This trade may have only been 4 issues but Jones is steady and solid the entire time. Bottom line, this trade is $10 and it is an absolute steal. Buy it and enjoy!

This sounds like a cool concept.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

covalesky wrote:This sounds like a cool concept.

It really is. :-D
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm

covalesky wrote:
I have the 2013 edition. :)

And you say it's badly printed... that's odd.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 am

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am

covalesky wrote:
This sounds like a cool concept.

Yeah, sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

outsider wrote:I have the following gn's in a stack of books to read:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

I'd like to read that Longshot mini.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Punchy wrote:Image

:like

Arion wrote:Yeah, sounds like something I'd enjoy.

You should give it a shot. It's a quick but good read and it's only $10.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Invincible Iron Man Deluxe HC vol. 2 by Matt Fraction & Salvador Larocca

Chapeau was right about this one. The Stark: Resilient storyline was boooooooooooooooooooring as fuck! Still, I like the way this series treats every story with cinematic scope. Stark Disassembled was really good but it felt kind of inconsequential. Stark Resilient was actually quite good in retrospect, considering everything it did to set the status quo back, but there were times when I just wanted it to get going. There were some issues completely devoid of any action. Felt a bit Bendis-y. Overall, this wasn't as good as the first HC but still worth the money I paid. Still love the art even though they went back to Frank D'Armata for colors. If there was a 3rd deluxe HC, I'd definitely get it.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 am

Secret Avengers vol. 1: Mission to Mars by Ed Brubaker, Mike Deodato & Co.

Read this with Unlimited. Kinda meh. The team was pretty good but the plot was boring and I just felt bored. Much prefer the Remender Secret Avengers. The art was really good though.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand