Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1029 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby outsider » Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am

Punchy wrote:Image
I left out that MP volume 1 in my list. I started it on Sunday - it is VERY good, but part of me wishes the collective we could move on from World War II & Nazis. Can't our own generation(s) start being significant enough and do significant enough things for entertainment to riff?
-

Advertisement

scott james
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby scott james » Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am

invincible and the Case Files of harlan Falk

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 am

outsider wrote:I left out that MP volume 1 in my list. I started it on Sunday - it is VERY good, but part of me wishes the collective we could move on from World War II & Nazis. Can't our own generation(s) start being significant enough and do significant enough things for entertainment to riff?

Well, the series is more about the Cold War than WW2, by the end of Volume 2 they are up to JFK's Presidency.

Wernher Von Braun was a real-life integral part of the Manhattan Project, it makes sense to feature him.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 am

Punchy wrote:
Well, the series is more about the Cold War than WW2, by the end of Volume 2 they are up to JFK's Presidency.

Wernher Von Braun was a real-life integral part of the Manhattan Project, it makes sense to feature him.
Oh, I realize going in that it's going to feature a lot of real-life/historical characters - my comment was more on entertainment in general. It seems like a lot of geek-centric properties have WWII as the focal element.

I dig the Manhattan Project anyway (my grandfather was a physicist in Oak Ridge, helping extract uranium) but I do like the hidden/alternate history that Hickman is rolling out.
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am

outsider wrote:Oh, I realize going in that it's going to feature a lot of real-life/historical characters - my comment was more on entertainment in general. It seems like a lot of geek-centric properties have WWII as the focal element.

I dig the Manhattan Project anyway (my grandfather was a physicist in Oak Ridge, helping extract uranium) but I do like the hidden/alternate history that Hickman is rolling out.

Yeah, it does seem like a lot of stuff is harkening back to WW2 but with Vampires or Werewolves or some other sci-fi/fantasy slant.

Maybe it's because we aren't as ready to tell stories about the current wars, so people need to go back to older ones?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 am

Grayson wrote:
:like

You should give it a shot. It's a quick but good read and it's only $10.

Before or after discount?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Arion wrote:Before or after discount?

Cover price was $9.99, so before a discount is applied! :D

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, it does seem like a lot of stuff is harkening back to WW2 but with Vampires or Werewolves or some other sci-fi/fantasy slant.

Maybe it's because we aren't as ready to tell stories about the current wars, so people need to go back to older ones?
It may be that, plus a bit of nostalgia. 'The Greatest Generation' is rapidly dying off, so it makes sense that the current generation of storytellers is affected by that and harkening to the defining era of their parents'/grandparents' lives.

I just wonder if our children & grandchildren are going to have Al Qaida, North Korean or Chinese villains in their geek stories like we do with Nazis (but not Japanese... oddly enough).
-

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 123 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Grayson wrote:
Cover price was $9.99, so before a discount is applied! :D

Ah glad to hear that.

Guys, by the way, I posted a Neon Genesis Evangelion review on my blog. If you could please stop by and leave a comment I'd appreciate it.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby misac » Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Grayson wrote:

Danger Club Vol. 1: Death - Imagine if DC or Marvel were to do an event comic where all the main heroes and even their villains were to go into space to fight some cosmic level threat...but didn't return. Now imagine that same world and the sidekicks are the only "heroes" left. They have no idea what happened to their partners, they have no idea if they are ever coming back, and they have to assume that whatever the heroes went to stop is still on it's way to Earth. :shock:

Damn. Landry Walker and Eric Jones waste no time dropping you right into the middle of a thriving universe filled with superheroes, mystery, and intrigue. Danger Club Vol. 1 picks up 3 months after the heroes of Earth have disappeared. Walker does a fantastic job introducing the reader to a rich world, filled with it's own mythology but he doesn't bog you down with trying to tell you what happened before. We might not know what Kid Vigilante's origin story is but that doesn't stop Walker from making him and the rest of the cast of Danger Club into some of the most interesting and dynamic new characters around.

Artistically, this book is gold. Eric Jones is a superstar. This trade may have only been 4 issues but Jones is steady and solid the entire time. Bottom line, this trade is $10 and it is an absolute steal. Buy it and enjoy!

This sounds really good. Hopefully they'll resolicit it so I can order it, or I'll keep it in mind next time I order something from Amazon.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Keb wrote:Secret Avengers vol. 1: Mission to Mars by Ed Brubaker, Mike Deodato & Co.

Read this with Unlimited. Kinda meh. The team was pretty good but the plot was boring and I just felt bored. Much prefer the Remender Secret Avengers. The art was really good though.

How're you liking Unlimited?

I passed on Bendis' last volumes of Avengers and though about trying it with this since I haven't seen the trades super cheap.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue May 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Keb wrote:Secret Warriors vol. 1: Nick Fury Agent of Nothing by Jonathan Hickman, Stefano Casselli and Bendis

(Read on Unlimited). Good start to what looks like a total homage to Steranko Nick Fury. I like the teens. I like the howling commandos. I like the hydra high order too. Even gorgon (but I didn't want him to ever come back). Art was fantastic. Please tell me this guy is still working at Marvel. I'd love to see him dohigher profile stuff. Looking forward to delving into this.

:-D Felt the same way about Gorgon.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue May 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Nova Classic v.1 – This took a while to read, could just read like an issue and a half on my lunch break. It was super fun though.

The pop culture references are pretty funny, Woody Allen and Tony Orlando were a couple. :lol:

The last two issues is a crossover with Spider-man and it’s pretty cool. It’s sort of a murder mystery!

Art was John and Sal Buscema, mostly Sal and of course it was great.

Angel & Faith v.3: Family Reunion – It’s funny the last trade had Faith’s dad dropping in and this one has Angel dropping in on Conner.

I think this was mostly to set up the Willow mini but it was still good. Rebekah Isaacs’ art fits this book so well, love it.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 431 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 pm

misac wrote:
How're you liking Unlimited?

I passed on Bendis' last volumes of Avengers and though about trying it with this since I haven't seen the trades super cheap.

So far it's been okay. Wish the reader was a bit better for Droid but it's more than manageable. I like the library and the idea that you can download comics for non-wifi reading but I wish it was like 10 instead of 6. The selection and browsing filters are great though. I have a crapload of stuff queued in my library already.

Give me a month and I'll tell you if it's worth the purchase. I did get the year subscription at the discounted rate.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 431 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 am

Spider-Man: the Origin of the Hobgoblin by Roger Stern, John Romita & friends

(read on unlimited). Great story. Must have been something to read this when it first came out in monthly format. It's like you don't know what will happen next. Romita is just naturally born to draw Spider-Man. Too bad we didn't see the conclusion but the clues that were dropped as to hobgoblin's identity were great.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand