Advertisement

Nova #4 (Guardians Of The Sam Alexander Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Nova #4 (Guardians Of The Sam Alexander Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 am

Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness continue to bring the goods when it comes to Nova, I’m really enjoying this book and with each issue I’m liking Sam Alexander more and more. He just comes off like a real kid, and reacts to things like a real kid would. His reference points for the crazy situation he’s in are video-games and Star Wars, and you can tell he’s having a lot of fun. Too many superheroes these days are grim and depressing, so it’s cool to see someone enjoying themselves whilst shooting up alien space-ships.

Of course, that enjoyment is somewhat short-lived, as Sam runs fist-first into the true villain of this story… Titus! Titus is the Nova Corps member who looks like a giant white tiger who we saw working with Sam’s dad in previous issues as a Super Nova. After Jesse Alexander left his squadron to return to Earth to see the birth of his son, The Chitauri attacked Titus (it’s still weird to see them in a comic), losing an arm and an eye. He then decided to betray the Nova Corps and work with the freaky little bug things. Titus and the Chitauri are now in possession of an Ultimate Nullifier (oh yeah, holy shit, yeah) and Titus claims that he killed Sam’s dad last week.

It looks like there’s going to be an epic fight in the final issue of this storyline between Titus and Sam, and I can’t wait. There is a little bit of a problem in that we know that Sam will survive this fight as all of this is taking place before AvX, but still, it should be good, and McGuinness is sure to draw the heck out of it. I also wonder if Sam’s dad really is dead? I hope not. I think the best thing about this book is that it’s making all of this outer-space stuff seem special, The Watcher seems more important, the Ultimate Nullifier feels significant, it’s not just one in a smorgasbord of doomsday weapons. The very act of space-travel should be something awe-inspiring, and Nova gets that.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand