Advertisement

Gambit #12 (Obnoxiously hard to kill Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Gambit #12 (Obnoxiously hard to kill Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 am

I caught up with this title last week, and I’ve found it to be a very enjoyable series that explores the dark underbelly of the Marvel Universe in some very interesting ways. I think the best issue so far was the one where Gambit visits the Club With No Name, but this issue may be up there, as James Asmus wraps up the big Joelle story in a very interesting way. The main focus of this story is Gambit and Rogue chasing after Joelle and Tombstone, trying to save Joelle and find out whether or not the mysterious Zero Compound is a weapon of mass destruction or not. This is a propulsive action issue, with Gambit and Tombstone’s fight taking in helicopters, jetpacks, cars and more. In the end, it turns out that the Zero Compound is definitely a bad thing, especially since it kills some cute little bunny-rabbits.

After Tombstone is defeated, Joelle uses the Compound to commit suicide, but there’s still a lot of mysteries left surrounding her. How did she become immortal? Will she come back? And perhaps most importantly, how will this death effect Gambit? I think the strongest aspect of this title is how Asmus writes Remy LaBeau, he’s a different kind of superhero (and not really a hero at all) and he always acts differently from the norm, but always consistent to his character. I particularly liked how in this issue he kissed the ground when he survived a jetpack explosion.

The biggest problem this book has had however continues here, as the artwork is inconsistent. Pencilling comes from Clay Mann, Dexter Soy and Leonard Kirk. All of these three guys are great artists, but I don’t think they gel well together, and it’s jarring to go from one to the next. I hope in future we can get an issue drawn by just one dude. But that’s a small complaint, the story here is very good and I’m excited to see where Asmus is going to take it, it’s been a non-stop ride for 12 issues, what’s next? Joelle is dead, Fence is dead, and Gambit still doesn’t know what to do with his life. Heck, maybe he should join the Avengers!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Gambit #12 (Obnoxiously hard to kill Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

Just seen that this book is cancelled with #17

Booooo!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand