Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed May 15, 2013 9:48 am

Spider-Man: the Origin of the Hobgoblin by Roger Stern, John Romita & friends

(read on unlimited). Great story. Must have been something to read this when it first came out in monthly format. It's like you don't know what will happen next. Romita is just naturally born to draw Spider-Man. Too bad we didn't see the conclusion but the clues that were dropped as to hobgoblin's identity were great.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1272 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Atomic Robo Volume 1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne - Just a really fun comic. Period. Brian Clevinger creates a lighthearted world filled with mystery and wonder. The art is a little simple but it's effective and Scott Wegener is able to effortlessly convey the emotions on an otherwise emotionless robotic face. I was looking for something lighter to read lately and I think I may have found it with Atomic Robo.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu May 16, 2013 7:33 pm

misac wrote:
This sounds really good. Hopefully they'll resolicit it so I can order it, or I'll keep it in mind next time I order something from Amazon.

I think I might give it a try.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri May 17, 2013 4:00 am

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 am

Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle by Dave Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita Jr.

Liked the gradual build-up to the alcoholism rather than just making it blatant. Having dealt with this problem in my personal life, I could understand how the supporting characters felt. However, I did think the recovery was a bit sudden when the reality is that its sometimes a long enduring uphill battle. Either way, it was a fun story (alcoholism aside). The whole Justin Hammer running plot kept readers engaged and the other goings-on throughout the story kept the reader engaged. Art was awesome, nothing less. JRJR and Layton make a good team. I liked Michelinie's scripting too. He got away with a lot in terms of diction for a children's comic in the 70s. Looking forward to Armor Wars.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 am

Keb wrote:Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle by Dave Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita Jr.

Liked the gradual build-up to the alcoholism rather than just making it blatant. Having dealt with this problem in my personal life, I could understand how the supporting characters felt. However, I did think the recovery was a bit sudden when the reality is that its sometimes a long enduring uphill battle. Either way, it was a fun story (alcoholism aside). The whole Justin Hammer running plot kept readers engaged and the other goings-on throughout the story kept the reader engaged. Art was awesome, nothing less. JRJR and Layton make a good team. I liked Michelinie's scripting too. He got away with a lot in terms of diction for a children's comic in the 70s. Looking forward to Armor Wars.

I've always wanted to read this. I know it's a classic Iron Man saga, and lots of people remember it.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Arion wrote:
I've always wanted to read this. I know it's a classic Iron Man saga, and lots of people remember it.

It's good classic Marvel. This, Miller's Daredevil and Simonson's Thor are all in the same vein. Character-driven sagas that definethe history and set building blocks for todays comics.

I have the Armor Wars trade (and the prologue) but I also queued up the entire Michelinie/Layton runs on unlimited.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 am

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby misac » Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 am

Shadowman v.1: Born Rites – Another good Valiant book. Some clichéd stuff but it didn’t bother me in this case. I can be really bothered by this stuff a lot of times. Maybe it has to do with dealing with new characters. :smt102

Art was great! Patrick Zircher! Sad seeing him in the DC solicits on Suicide Squad. :P

Red She Hulk v.1: Hell Hath No Fury – Kind of let down by this. The story was good buy I didn’t find Betty at all interesting. I didn’t dislike her or anything, she was just there. Probably just being sexist.

Art was pretty good. I’m on the fence about getting the second trade, the teased She Hulk showing up at the end of this trade.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 am

Iron Man: Armor Wars Prologue and Armor Wars by Michelinie, Layton and Bright (and Windsor-Smith)

The prologue stuff was fun. It all very much encompasses everything that will happen in the Stark Wars (Armor Wars) but it also is good, easy reading. The Armor Wars themselves were quite intense. Modern comics might lay that intensity on thick but it feels so natural in this run. I am really enjoying what Michelinie and Layton are doing with Iron Man in this book. They very much define today's Tony Stark and I like how he reads the same way RDJ plays him in the films. Tony's perm made me laugh. The art is quite good too.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am

Still have:

John Byrne Fantastic Four omnibus v1
Fear Agent Library v1
X-Men Fall of the Mutants v1&2

Plus all kinds of stuff on Unlimited.

Make my summer reading Marvel...

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 am

I'm reading Happy by Morrison. Its not as strange as expected. But its a fun read. At least thus far.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm

The Shade (James Robinson, Cully Hammer, and others). I'm a couple of chapters in, and its been ok. I do like the idea of exploring these out of the way corners of the DCU and giving Robinson free reign to build it, but I've never been a big fan of the Shade character. He comes across as very Mary Sue-ish to me, and the first pair of confrontations in the story reinforces my view of the character. Still, I love the art, and am interested to see where the story leads.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 pm

covalesky wrote:I'm reading Happy by Morrison. Its not as strange as expected. But its a fun read. At least thus far.

You wanted it to be as strange as Kid Eternity?

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 am

Arion wrote:
You wanted it to be as strange as Kid Eternity?

With an imaginary blue horse with wings I expected it to be stranger than Kid Eternity.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand