Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby Punchy » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
It's not an either/or dichotomy. :smt102

This season, I had higher expectations but found several of the episodes just too dull. Mixed feelings on the finale, but still hold out hope for the 50th special.

I shouldn't argue any more about it, as it will take me perilously close to 30000 posts at which time I will retire from the internet.

I had lower expectations for this season really, since every episode was a self-contained 'movie'.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 27 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 am

Punchy wrote:
I had lower expectations for this season really, since every episode was a self-contained 'movie'.

If I'd known that, I would've too, I found several of them dull. I don't really haunt the Doctor Who threads or sites for info much, but I do want to know details of the Time War and the genocide of the Time Lords so I've been more tuned in lately. I do like them bringing the Valeyard possibly into play, maybe of The Doctor forcing a Valeyard regeneration or possibly even bringing him from another point in time...is what I'd like John Hurt's character to be, ultimately.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
If I'd known that, I would've too, I found several of them dull. I don't really haunt the Doctor Who threads or sites for info much, but I do want to know details of the Time War and the genocide of the Time Lords so I've been more tuned in lately. I do like them bringing the Valeyard possibly into play, maybe of The Doctor forcing a Valeyard regeneration or possibly even bringing him from another point in time...is what I'd like John Hurt's character to be, ultimately.

I don't know if I want to have concrete details about the Time War, I think whatever mad theories I have in my head are enough, the real deal may be disappointing.

It was crazy that they brought up the Valeyard, a real bone thrown to the hardcore nerds.

I wish they would have shown the Great Intelligence face to face with the 8th Doctor, Withnail And I reunited!

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 am

doombug wrote:It's not being pawned off on this mysterious new doctor. We have no idea what the situation was that caused this doctor to be under a different name.

True we don't know the details, but what little we do know implied this secret Doctor did the dirty deeds every Doctor since has felt guilty for. We would they feel so bad if they'd truly divorced him from themselves.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 am

Amoebas wrote:"Time can be rewritten" or maybe her human brain just can't grasp it all. I don't think this will be a game a changer.

I suspect they'll go with the second option, perhaps with her remembering things from time to time, in a kind a limited precognition. It would be a good tool in building suspense.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 am

Punchy wrote:

I was talking about that film with a co-worker yesterday and later pulled out my old DVD copy. The first thing I thought was, 'Doctor Who and the Great Intelligence!' Grant was Who once, as well, in a comedy send up.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1096 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am

Victorian Squid wrote:

Who's to say that Hurt is not really the Valeyard?

As for why the Valeyard's name was brought up, the Valeyard may have existed far more then we have seen and took out or thwarted enemies of both he and The Doctor.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am

David Bird wrote:
I suspect they'll go with the second option, perhaps with her remembering things from time to time, in a kind a limited precognition. It would be a good tool in building suspense.

Timey-whimmey-wibbley-wobbley.

I suspect that time will be rewritten for the Doctor given that he's entered his own timeline and will be encountering the 10th Doctor and Rose.

I also suspect that Hurt's Doctor will regenerate at the end of the special. We'll see the glow, but not the full scene since Eccleston is such an ass.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ecclestone will be in it, they are just being extra-sneaky because everyone knows he's against it.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 am

Punchy wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Ecclestone will be in it, they are just being extra-sneaky because everyone knows he's against it.

I hope you're right. It'd be nice to see some class from him on this and reprise for a regeneration scene at least.

I also hope the sneaky includes Paul McGann putting in a cameo as the 8th Doctor.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 584 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Punchy wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Ecclestone will be in it, they are just being extra-sneaky because everyone knows he's against it.

My hope exactly!

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 am

Eccleston.

That would be a nice surprise. I liked his Doctor and I don't begrudge him leaving or the fact that he's not a fanboy. You don't have to be a fanboy in order to play a character well. Sarah Michelle Gellar gets this same sort of criticism. They can't all be George Takei or Wil Whealton.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Who's to say that Hurt is not really the Valeyard?

As for why the Valeyard's name was brought up, the Valeyard may have existed far more then we have seen and took out or thwarted enemies of both he and The Doctor.

Hurt is a past version of the Doctor, likely from the Time War... a "lost" version that was forgotten or purposefully ignored.

The Valeyard is a future one (between the 12th and 13th).

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I hope you're right, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's REALLY difficult to keep things secret anymore, with pics from the set being commonplace with every episode. Hell, there's pics of John Hurt in-costume from the set of the 50th already that kind of reveal a lot about his character already.

It would/will be very disappointing if Eccleston isn't in it, though, given what Hurt's character is.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Chris wrote:
Hurt is a past version of the Doctor, likely from the Time War... a "lost" version that was forgotten or purposefully ignored.

The Valeyard is a future one (between the 12th and 13th).

If one could be lost... could not more?

Plus, how could it be the Time War did not also change all timelines?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum