Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 89 posts

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby PDH » Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Having said that, I mostly enjoyed this episode. There was a bit too much standing around and talking about a glowy thing in the resolution, though. Not as exciting as it could have been.

I also thought the 'Introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' bit was kind of silly. It would have been more effective without that.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 pm

PDH wrote:Having said that, I mostly enjoyed this episode. There was a bit too much standing around and talking about a glowy thing in the resolution, though. Not as exciting as it could have been.

I also thought the 'Introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' bit was kind of silly. It would have been more effective without that.

I thought it was fucking hilarious that there's people on Tumblr and shit thinking that "John Hurt" was the name of the Doctor because of that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 948 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Chris wrote:I don't know if you really need to get so complicated as all that.

It doesn't need to be a re-writing time thing. You can get to the same end result by just saying Hurt did some terrible shit in the name of ending the war, and stopped going by the name of The Doctor in the process... then he died, and regenerated into Eccleston, who was so appalled by what he'd done that he basically disowned Hurt completely, and made his entire existence this big secret.. and lived with the shame of it, which is where we meet him in Season 1.

I don't think it needs to be this complex thing where Hurt was the 9th Doctor, but Ecclestone was the 9th Doctor as well, but then time was rewritten, and this and that... just make it that Eccleston was the 9th "Doctor" but the 10th incarnation of the character.

It's not as if he goes around calling himself the "11th Doctor" and stuff in-story. The numbering has always been more for the fans' than anything in-story. And in the finale, he even says that Hurt didn't hold the title of "Doctor".

I imagine, given the costuming, that Hurt is the 9th Doctor. Most likely the story will be kept simply and focus on that the Hurt Doctor basically was self referred to other than as The Doctor as he choose to commit genocide to end the Time War. The 8th was drafted as were all other Time Lords living or dead as the High Council became desperate. They did bring Rasalon out of his tomb and made him their leader again. They brought back The Master complete with a new set of regenerations. The Doctor may have been press ganged into the war and due to his knowledge, was made a general. Possibly forced into a regeneration as well or injured during the war causing the regeneration.

With this upcoming special, we will likely see the events somehow cause the regeneration into the Eccleston Doctor after having encountered the Tennant and Smith Doctors.

I suspect this is also a way to springboard into dealing with the whole limited number of regenerations rather then leaving it for the future.

Remember, there are several escape hatches on the number both in the classic and the modern run for the Doctor to have more lives.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Chris wrote:I don't think this will come into play at all, but in researching old Who I came upon this from the 7th Doctor's time... thought it interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_(Doctor_Who)

Never liked any of that as it is rather apocryphal. It goes against a ton of dialog during the 3rd Doctor's run as well as more modern dialog.
Plus I always thought it was as though they were trying to suggest that the Doctor was really Rasalon back then with the 7th.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 pm

I like the theory that Hurt is McGann's 8th Doctor, just aged.

Do Time Lords age? I imagine they do, it just takes a really long time. So if, let's say, the 8th Doctor never died during the war.. he just aged, and aged.. and the Time War went on for hundreds of years... then he'd be old John Hurt.

It would explain why McGann wasn't invited back for the 50th either.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:What if Doctor Hurt actually started the Time War? Starting the war would be betraying the name of the Doctor. Doing it for "peace and sanity" could've been him deciding to bring the rest of the Time Lords into that war in order to eliminate the threats once and for all...that would be a pretty terrible secret.

Ending the Time War and destroying Gallifrey are not really secrets as we saw in the earlier secrets where everyone knew about that...

It could be an element of the plot, that the Doctor inadvertently began the war.

Hmmm, what if this special will also be a new way to bring back the Time Lords? To have kept the war from happening?

I feel it's like with the Green Lantern Corps during the 90s, but here with the Time Lords. As it is, all the Doctor seemed to have really have done was destroy his own people the Time Lords. The Daleks are back.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 257 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm

nah im not saying he inadvertently did it, i'm saying he did it 100% on purpose because he saw it the only necessary response to all the threats.

moffat's doctor run has always showed him accidentally causing most of the messes he's had to fix every season. to reveal that he started a war knowing perfectly well it'd slaughter billions for the greater good would definitely be a shameful secret despite doing it for "peace and sanity".

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Chris wrote:I like the theory that Hurt is McGann's 8th Doctor, just aged.

Do Time Lords age? I imagine they do, it just takes a really long time. So if, let's say, the 8th Doctor never died during the war.. he just aged, and aged.. and the Time War went on for hundreds of years... then he'd be old John Hurt.

It would explain why McGann wasn't invited back for the 50th either.

Possible, but a bit weak given that McGann could just play an older version of himself, rather then an actor that looks nothing like him.

Time Lords do age... you think the 1st came out an old man on the day of his birth? :lol: :wink:

Which I have to note, the clip was understandable that they used Hartnel as stealing the TARDIS, but I thought they really could have and should have used a younger actor. It would seem the Doctor was feeling very old or was already old when he left Galifrey.

I suspect that Time Lords age only as they feel, but at some point they reach a point that they cannot control it. Smith's Doctor is over 100 years old at this point.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:nah im not saying he inadvertently did it, i'm saying he did it 100% on purpose because he saw it the only necessary response to all the threats.

moffat's doctor run has always showed him accidentally causing most of the messes he's had to fix every season. to reveal that he started a war knowing perfectly well it'd slaughter billions for the greater good would definitely be a shameful secret despite doing it for "peace and sanity".

I could see him ending the war 100% on purpose, but not starting it. What started it could have been the Time Lords themselves. They did try changing the Daleks timeline in the classic run.

I think it's a simple answer. He calls himself the Doctor in that he wishes to heal and do no harm. It's what he chose when he left Galifrey originally. He chose different during the war and felt he could use the name no longer.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Possible, but a bit weak given that McGann could just play an older version of himself, rather then an actor that looks nothing like him.

Time Lords do age... you think the 1st came out an old man on the day of his birth? :lol: :wink:

Which I have to note, the clip was understandable that they used Hartnel as stealing the TARDIS, but I thought they really could have and should have used a younger actor. It would seem the Doctor was feeling very old or was already old when he left Galifrey.

I suspect that Time Lords age only as they feel, but at some point they reach a point that they cannot control it. Smith's Doctor is over 100 years old at this point.

I dunno. Honestly, I could see Hurt as an older McGann.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 89 posts

Postby PDH » Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Chris wrote:
I thought it was fucking hilarious that there's people on Tumblr and shit thinking that "John Hurt" was the name of the Doctor because of that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is pretty funny. Doctor John Hurt.

That thing from the Sun that said Hurt's part was originally written for Eccleston makes sense, thinking about it. It might actually be more interesting without him now, if that is why they had to make up this whole backstory about a missing Doctor in order to revisit that period.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sun May 19, 2013 9:01 pm

In the end, this is the fourth Roman emperor from I, Claudius to have a Who connection. George Baker, Brian Blessed, Derek Jacobi, and Now John Hurt, leaving just Christopher Biggins. :tongue:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Chris wrote:
I dunno. Honestly, I could see Hurt as an older McGann.

Wouldn't hurt... :P

But it leaves me wondering... why? Is McGann being a pain in the ass or is it the show runner?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm

PDH wrote:
That is pretty funny. Doctor John Hurt.

That thing from the Sun that said Hurt's part was originally written for Eccleston makes sense, thinking about it. It might actually be more interesting without him now, if that is why they had to make up this whole backstory about a missing Doctor in order to revisit that period.

It will be more interesting. It's a Doctor we've never met and one that was a bastard compared to the rest.

I keep wondering though... Zygons and three Doctors...

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Wouldn't hurt... :P

But it leaves me wondering... why? Is McGann being a pain in the ass or is it the show runner?

McGann has basically done everything but beg to be on the show ever since it came back. So I don't know. He said he wasn't even approached. Could be lying, but like I said earlier... it's so difficult to keep shit secret in this age of set-pics and stuff, I doubt it.

Prior to this episode, honestly, I kind of felt like New Who has been very hesitant to acknowledge the past and anything pre-2005. Which was explanation enough for McGann being ignored every year.

Then this episode happened... and now I don't know.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum