Advertisement

Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1086 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 am

sdsichero wrote:I'll be honest... and i think Cat might be surprised...

But I found this one to be better than the first film.

There was a LOT of things that annoyed me about this film. Several of them I admit were real geek things (but hey this is Star Trek). I did find the characters to be a little more likeable this time around though.

So I'd give 2009's a D+/C-- and this one a B-/C+

Definitely turn off your brain though

You've come over!

It was a better film, but it was still not as good as it could have been.

I'd give 2009's a B+ and this one a A-
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:51 am

TheLurker wrote:I would also have liked a good look at the Dreadnought in good lighting. I know it is a space battle, but . . . . everyone needs to bitch about something.

Also, how far away is the freaking Klingon Empire?? It takes them only a few minutes to get back to (near) Earth near the end of the film. Details like this diminish otherwise good films, for me. But it was still fun!

Google Image Search USS Vengeance + Star Trek and you'll see some brightened up shots.

I still believe that the since the first film, they have better warp drive than the classic series. Which is a vast improvement.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 am

Here...

and the toy...

Also, note that the Enterprise does not look exactly the same as it did in the first film.

TheLurker
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 224 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks Cat!

WTF! there is a hole in the middle of the saucer?

In the old books and I believe in the old RPG there was something called a dreadnought but it had 3 nacelles.

I was reading the forums at IMDB.com and boy, do some people just hate this film. Hate! It is one thing for geeky nit-picking while still enjoying the movie, but some people just go overboard (it is like my hatred for Prometheus).

I did think it was odd that an enraged Spock could not defeat Khan alone. But I guess that Starfleet, not being quite as militaristic as I imagined, would not teach self defense as much.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 am

TheLurker wrote:Thanks Cat!

WTF! there is a hole in the middle of the saucer?

In the old books and I believe in the old RPG there was something called a dreadnought but it had 3 nacelles.

I was reading the forums at IMDB.com and boy, do some people just hate this film. Hate! It is one thing for geeky nit-picking while still enjoying the movie, but some people just go overboard (it is like my hatred for Prometheus).

I did think it was odd that an enraged Spock could not defeat Khan alone. But I guess that Starfleet, not being quite as militaristic as I imagined, would not teach self defense as much.

No probs. :wink:

Yeah, it seems the designer liked some of the fan designs and some stuff folks like John "Enterprise-E" Eaves has designed for the games.

There was, and it was also featured in a lousy Diane Duanne Trek novel. Similar idea that it was a secretly built ship.

Some folks will always hate it. That's their loss. It may not be classic Trek nor is it perfect. But it is fun and Trek.

I could see it, given what Khan was able to do. It was basically like watching a middle weight take on a heavy weight. Spock was outclassed. That and yes, Spock is not a soldier, where Khan was a warlord. Plus... Spock was fighting while emotional over Kirk.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Just saw it and fucking LOVED it! This coming from a ST fan for 30 years.

Can't wait to see it again.

Those who hated it are fucking clowns...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I just noticed, the Vengeance has three holes.

THERE ARE THREE HOLES!!! :lol:

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 785 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm

TheLurker wrote:I would also have liked a good look at the Dreadnought in good lighting. I know it is a space battle, but . . . . everyone needs to bitch about something.

Also, how far away is the freaking Klingon Empire?? It takes them only a few minutes to get back to (near) Earth near the end of the film. Details like this diminish otherwise good films, for me. But it was still fun!

Yeah the distance to the Klingon Empire is one of those things that kind of stood out to me. The threat is really really close it seems. Kind of weird to me.

Also, was Qo'noS mentioned as destroyed previously? I don't remember that.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:I still believe that the since the first film, they have better warp drive than the classic series. Which is a vast improvement.

I'm not sure I see it as better.

Sure, it makes for more convenient storytelling, but is Star Fleet that experienced in space travel by now? Part of the danger of the old series is that everything was so far away. Getting help was much more difficult and that's a source of drama (and heightens the feeling of an exploratory endeavor).

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I really liked it as well. Lots of interesting paralells with the original franchise. I would be happy with more, especially if we see more Spock kicking the dick out of bad guyz. 8)
-

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm

outsider wrote:I really liked it as well. Lots of interesting paralells with the original franchise. I would be happy with more, especially if we see more Spock kicking the dick out of bad guyz. 8)

Yeah, I liked angry Spock as well.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

outsider wrote:I really liked it as well. Lots of interesting paralells with the original franchise.

I think that's the part that bothered me the most. I don't mind the little nods (Datstrom, Mudd) but that they mirrored the last act of Star Trek II really took me out of the film. Did not like that part of it much at all.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I'm not sure I see it as better.

Sure, it makes for more convenient storytelling, but is Star Fleet that experienced in space travel by now? Part of the danger of the old series is that everything was so far away. Getting help was much more difficult and that's a source of drama (and heightens the feeling of an exploratory endeavor).

It's better as it makes it more acceptable that they encounter all these species. The story is not so much about them taking months to get there, but just being there and meeting new people. You're focusing on one element in the story telling. I see it as finally being more consistent with what they were already doing anyway. IE - The Enterprise-E reaches Earth from the Romulan NZ within an hour or two? All the other places they've been and named that are real... come on, the speeds they keep saying don't jive for it.

You want the drama of them being on their own? They already are. It won't be like a group of ships would show up when they're far out past the local group. Straight line flight is not always going to be possible. BILLIONS of stars to check out will still take lifetimes with the faster speeds. Wow, they get there faster, but the mission still takes time and also... each week they're elsewhere anyway.

Final note... Voyager would not make much sense. You hated that show. So STFU. :lol: :P

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I think that's the part that bothered me the most. I don't mind the little nods (Datstrom, Mudd) but that they mirrored the last act of Star Trek II really took me out of the film. Did not like that part of it much at all.

Welcome to JJ Abrams for me... not to mention Bendis.... the never ending feeling and knowledge that I've seen this plot or plot element or concept before...

I liked that they twisted it around so we got emo Spock going postal on Khan. Also... Khan On Ice!!!!!! Sequel anyone? :-D

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
It's better as it makes it more acceptable that they encounter all these species. The story is not so much about them taking months to get there, but just being there and meeting new people. You're focusing on one element in the story telling. I see it as finally being more consistent with what they were already doing anyway. IE - The Enterprise-E reaches Earth from the Romulan NZ within an hour or two? All the other places they've been and named that are real... come on, the speeds they keep saying don't jive for it.

You want the drama of them being on their own? They already are. It won't be like a group of ships would show up when they're far out past the local group. Straight line flight is not always going to be possible. BILLIONS of stars to check out will still take lifetimes with the faster speeds. Wow, they get there faster, but the mission still takes time and also... each week they're elsewhere anyway.

Final note... Voyager would not make much sense. You hated that show. So STFU. :lol: :P

It's early spaceflight though. Space is still somewhat the wild west. In Enterprise, it took 4 days to get there, which I thought was actually fast. So days, yeah but hours? I found that a little... hard to believe.

And... are there any more ships left in Star Fleet? Sheesh the first movie blew up most of the fleet. This movie took out all the captains and admirals. Then Enterprise leaves Earth for its 5 year mission and leaves Earth unprotected.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum