Advertisement

Doctor Who Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Doctor Who Thread

Postby nietoperz » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 am

I hope not. I like the status quo as is.

Advertisement

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 am

Chris wrote:Or they could be using the 50th to bring back the Time Lords for good.

I suspect they are--and given that everyone else is back, they're long overdue.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 15 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

Theories on solutions for the Doctor having more than 12 regenerations -

1- Time Lords all have the ability to regenerate endlessly. Rasalon was said to know the secret to Time Lord immortality. Rasalon in one of his wise periods, decided to place a block on the number to save the Time Lords as a race. He maintained it put exiled himself to his tomb... or was exiled by the Time Lords. His return during the war could mean that to maximize soldiers surviving, undid the block.

2- Time Lords all have the ability to regenerate near endlessly. Think of that energy that enables them to regenerate as a charge of energy. They all may have an undetermined number, but at some point, the High Council chose to limit them to 12. The reasons are hard to justify for that number but could be that on an average.. Time Lords in their 14th or later lives go evil insane. So they were limited. The High Council knows how to enable additional regenerations.

3- Similar to the last theory, the charge of energy that a Time Lord holds is limited to that number or a little more perhaps. The High Council knows how to "recharge" a Time Lord with additional regenerations. This could also be Rasalon's secret. Add to this the Doctor's exposure for such long times traveling has caused him to be "charged" with more regenerations.

4- His number of lives was extended by River Song's giving up her remaining regenerations to him... something that was described as possible in the classic run and yes, supports some of the prior theories.

5- Michael Moorcock - The Doctor is an aspect of the Champion Eternal and thus immortal.

6- The showrunner ignores the limit and retcons it.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am

Chris wrote:Or they could be using the 50th to bring back the Time Lords for good.

I don't think they will with it.

Given some of the reports, I suspect this will be more an adventure in being a character study of The Doctor and his one life.

The Time Lords should return.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 am

nietoperz wrote:I hope not. I like the status quo as is.

I want it to happen.

We've had 8 years with this status quo. Bringing them back would be fresh at this point.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am

Chris wrote:I want it to happen.

We've had 8 years with this status quo. Bringing them back would be fresh at this point.

Neito's one of those that also said that no GL Corps was needed as Kyle was great without it.

Thing is... no Time Lords means that The Doctor truly fucked up and ended up only killing his own people, since the Daleks are back.

How long can the universe be safe without The Time Lords to counter The Daleks?

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Theories on solutions for the Doctor having more than 12 regenerations -

#7 - Simeon (and/or maybe Clara) messing with the Doctor's time-line somehow causes an extra regeneration :smt102
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

The whole "last of his race" thing is so cliche at this point.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Chris wrote:The whole "last of his race" thing is so cliche at this point.

This.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Zero wrote:I really didn't enjoy it.

The John Hurt reveal was interesting and made sense, but very little else did. River was a ghost for no reason, Clara's big secret is that she's just Clara, and the Great Intelligence was given so little motive that I was just really underwhelmed. I'd still love a Vastra, Jenny and Strax spinoff though.

It was in the middle for me too. It was really unsatisfying with it being more of a set up for the 50th anniversary special. I am super excited for the conclusion.

There was a lot of good stuff though, like the scene with River and the Doctor was really good.

They do need to give those guys a spin off. I always laugh at Strax calling people “boy”.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Chris wrote:I like the theory that Hurt is McGann's 8th Doctor, just aged.

Do Time Lords age? I imagine they do, it just takes a really long time. So if, let's say, the 8th Doctor never died during the war.. he just aged, and aged.. and the Time War went on for hundreds of years... then he'd be old John Hurt.

It would explain why McGann wasn't invited back for the 50th either.

And he was mostly human or something right? So it makes sense that he'd age faster (at a regular pace).

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon May 20, 2013 5:52 pm

misac wrote:
And he was mostly human or something right? So it makes sense that he'd age faster (at a regular pace).

The movie retconned that he was half human or something or other. I don't even remember, but I think that part has been ignored as far as canon goes.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Mon May 20, 2013 5:52 pm

misac wrote:They do need to give those guys a spin off. I always laugh at Strax calling people “boy”.

My wife isn't in the habit of calling people "boy," but as a Filipino her native language doesn't have engendered pronouns. She speaks English very well, but still gets the pronouns mixed up, calling him her, he she, etc. I've heard other Filipino's--and people who speak related languages--do the same. Strax always reminds me of that.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum