Advertisement

'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for "Gratuitous" Underwear Scene

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts

'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for "Gratuitous" Underwear Scene

Postby LOLtron » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for

This week we learn it's only alright to have gratuitous violence.

io9 addressed the tweets on Monday in a tongue and cheek manner, saying "Good. If we're going to start blasting IMAX shots of naked medical/science officers for no reason besides, because they could, at least give us a few Bones pics." But was sure to add they thought the scene was ridiculous.  My feelings wouldn't be hurt if the scene wasn't in the movie, but I often notice there isn't much of an uproar when the situation is reversed.  My biggest issue about it was that it was used in a viral video campaign for the movie, putting the scene in a spotlight that made it stand out.  If you are going to point to the men being half naked as well, yet not highlight them, you can't be surprised the scene would get extra attention from fans.

What I found more interesting was a blog post from actress Felicia Day about the movie where she took notice that the movie was lacking in strong women.  Feeling Carol Marcus (pictured above) served as little more than damsel in distress and Uhura mostly only served to humanize Spock.  Mainly she points to the scene where Kirk and all the Admirals are sitting around the big table and get attacked, not seeing any women there.  I think she is on the money with that specific point and think they could have been well served by having a woman or two sitting around the table (unless there was and both her and I don't remember).

That being said, I do think the female leads have some good qualities as well.

(Beware Spoilers) Carol Marcus is not a warrior, she his much more like Scotty who isn't going to fight his way out of every situation with his fists.  She saves the Enterprise by confronting her father and then is put in a situation where, yes, she does need to be saved, but so would any of the male characters put in that situation (ala Pike in the first movie and Scotty who they are rescuing along with Carol).  But nobody notices when a dude in distress gets saved, understandable I suppose, but at least take notice when the situation is flipped and it's the woman rescuing the man.  Carol Marcus also saves Bones earlier in the movie by risking her life, and just because she doesn't do it with a spinning back kick doesn't mean we should overlook it.

As for Uhura, I thought that her confronting the Klingons alone was a pretty big deal and when the shit hit the fan, she was right in the mix with everyone else in the fight.  Not to mention she played a key role against the villain in the climax.  I don't think either of these women were treated badly in the movie, a franchise that is pretty much about the three-way between Spock, Kirk and Bones, where everyone else is a second tier character next to the trio.  Some characters orbit a bit closer than others to the trio, Scotty being one of them, and in the new version of Star Trek, Uhura is now there as well (and not just because of her relationship with Spock).

There is still a long way to go befeore institutionalized sexism is pried out of entertainment, but Star Trek is, at least, trying to make some progress and it's nice to see Lindelof take notice of what they still need to work on.  Hopefully he'll take notice of not just the main cast, but how the world is fleshed out with extras as well.  Star Trek once set the bar for being ahead of the curve on issues like this, so it's something that fans will be watching out for.

Mostly, I think this is about sensitivity to an issue close to someone's heart.  Nothing wrong with that, but once it is brought to the masses on the internet it grows from there, and it can overshadow the good points about the film.

The film isn't perfect, but it's not a disaster either.  If there is a number one complaint about Star Trek Into Darkness, it should be about how Cumberbatch over-enunciated everything.

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 579 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 am

Yes, Uhura needed an underwear scene and then... PILLOW FIGHT WITH CAROL MARCUS!!! :-D

Oh don't worry, next film will have some other Starfleet lady in her underwear as well as alien women triplets. It's part of the formula.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 am

I think all that needs to be said is that Kirk was in his underwear too.

Dave Berg
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for "Gratuitous" Underwear Scene

Postby Dave Berg » Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am

Wait, what now? Zoe Saldana's Uhura is a much stronger character than the original '60's version and this new Carol Marcus is much stronger than the Star Trek II version from '82! Okay, so there's five guys to two women - that ratio is up from 2009's Star Trek and better than the three damsel-in-distress cast members of the original series: Uhura, Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand. I would think the next Star Trek would feature more strong female roles...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 am

Punchy wrote:I think all that needs to be said is that Kirk was in his underwear too.

I think all that really needs to be said that this is a non issue over all. You can see more at a beach or poolside.

Geez, you'd think it was a nude scene.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 am

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't put the scene in context, but the fact that Alice Eve was paraded around in her underwear in like 75% of the promos and trailers for the movie doesn't exactly scream "she's more than just sex appeal!" to me.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Re: RE: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apol

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 am

FBtron wrote:Wait, what now? Zoe Saldana's Uhura is a much stronger character than the original '60's version and this new Carol Marcus is much stronger than the Star Trek II version from '82! Okay, so there's five guys to two women - that ratio is up from 2009's Star Trek and better than the three damsel-in-distress cast members of the original series: Uhura, Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand. I would think the next Star Trek would feature more strong female roles...

The Romulan commander for the next film? You know, the one that vamped Spock.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am

Easy fix, the whole movie should have been everyone just wearing underwear...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 am

BlueStreak wrote:I haven't seen the movie, so I can't put the scene in context, but the fact that Alice Eve was paraded around in her underwear in like 75% of the promos and trailers for the movie doesn't exactly scream "she's more than just sex appeal!" to me.

She is though. But afterwards she is kind of useless again.

I hope they keep her around for Kirk to settle down as Spock is with Uhura. I like the dynamic more so based on the scenes we saw with her, Kirk and Spock in the shuttle.

Her underwear scene is still my favorite. :-D

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:35 am

Okay... anyone else imagine Zoe Saladana doing a fan dance like Granny Uhura did in Final Frontier?

Anyone become ill not because of Zoe but just due that scene I mentioned?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 465 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 am

Punchy wrote:I think all that needs to be said is that Kirk was in his underwear too.

His scene was definitely not as pose-y as Marcus' though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 465 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: RE: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apol

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

FBtron wrote:Wait, what now? Zoe Saldana's Uhura is a much stronger character than the original '60's version and this new Carol Marcus is much stronger than the Star Trek II version from '82! Okay, so there's five guys to two women - that ratio is up from 2009's Star Trek and better than the three damsel-in-distress cast members of the original series: Uhura, Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand. I would think the next Star Trek would feature more strong female roles...

Comparisons to the older characters while understandable is a bit odd. The 60s was a bit of a different time and Uhura did play a decent role considering (yes it could have been more progressive, but a black woman and an officer was kind of a bid deal in 1966). As far as Marcus is concerned, her role in 82 was not as physical but she was strong, and smart. She really bucked those in the military who wanted to turn her research into weapons of war. And she was a lot older (not that older people cannot be strong).

IF this new Trek is anything like the old Trek, the reason you don't see women at the meeting of captains and admirals is that women were not captains back then. It was a large point in the final episode of Star Trek in 69. Yeah another area where classic Trek could have been more progressive.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 am

I think it's just the case that a woman in their underwear is automatically sexualised, but a man is underwear isn't.

It's the male gaze, and also years of societal pressures, and probably to do with curves being more visually appealing than flat male chests.

It's nothing to do with Star Trek, it's society as a whole.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

BlueStreak wrote:I haven't seen the movie, so I can't put the scene in context, but the fact that Alice Eve was paraded around in her underwear in like 75% of the promos and trailers for the movie doesn't exactly scream "she's more than just sex appeal!" to me.

yeah, that's what marketing departments do, though. The way they cut trailers for promotion shouldn't reflect on the complete film, those trailers are often made by CHUDs. For several reasons, I never watch a trailer of a movie I want to see.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 am

If Jude had written this article he would have included the Kirk underwear pics :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum