Advertisement

'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for "Gratuitous" Underwear Scene

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Herald » Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 am

Point of Order: Uhura WAS supposed to be in charge of the Enterprise at one point in the original series. It was Executive Meddling, not a lack of progressiveness on Roddenberry and Co.'s part, that kept Uhura out of the captain's chair.

To wit:

"Uhura, the most visible female character, was denied a chance to command the Enterprise in one episode because an executive flat out told Roddenberry 'we don't believe her in charge of anything'. Nichelle Nichols got a lot of crap thrown her way by the executives for reasons that today are obviously both racist and sexist; for the first season, she wasn't a regular member of the cast, and her fan mail was kept from her. She almost left the show, until she met Martin Luther King Jr. at a party, who convinced her to stay on and serve as a black role model."

Advertisement

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
yeah, that's what marketing departments do, though. The way they cut trailers for promotion shouldn't reflect on the complete film; those trailers are often made by CHUDs. For several reasons, I never watch a trailer of a movie I want to see.

Considering that said trailers are created specifically to convince people to come see the complete film, the fact remains that they DO reflect on the complete film. Therefore, they should be made so that they're not misleading.

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 3 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 am

:smt069

Nope, nope, not participating.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue May 21, 2013 11:38 am

The scene was just a joke in the movie. Obviously the people making the trailer want to make it seem like a bigger deal than it was.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 21, 2013 11:47 am

Black_Orchid wrote::smt069

Nope, nope, not participating.

Boo

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post

Postby holtom2000 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 am

Off to see said shot... Will comment then

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Herald wrote:
Considering that said trailers are created specifically to convince people to come see the complete film, the fact remains that they DO reflect on the complete film. Therefore, they should be made so that they're not misleading.

"Should be" being the key words here.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 pm

its frustrating to me that artists these days do not have the freedom to write characters and scenes how they'd like. It blows my mind that Star Trek, a franchise with 99% male main characters, is somehow expected to feature a "strong" female main character even if the story doesn't call for it.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm

This thread is everything that's wrong with Hollywood movies. Also, if you've ever listened to a DVD commentary by Lindelof, you realize the guy's just straight up an idiot. He's literally failed upwards. He's managed to get in rolodexes he doesn't have any business being in, and should never have been promoted beyond ass't manager at a Blockbuster or something.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 30 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:If Jude had written this article he would have included the Kirk underwear pics :P

For a straight man, I am extremely gay.

DoctorStupid
Inhouser

Title: PHD in idiot.

Postby DoctorStupid » Tue May 21, 2013 1:58 pm

I dunno. To me the scene was useful in character building. It showed a pretty keen interest from Kirk's character and illustrated that he clearly saw her as more than just a regular crew member. Honestly, I don't see why anyone is complaining. The reality is, this is a movie made by a private company and they should damn well be able to do what they want. Clearly it wasn't a big enough deal that it hurt their sales, so in that sense it wasn't a bad business decision. The movie was fantastic and this doesn't change that fact one bit. Lindelof should not have been expected to apologize, in my opinion, and if I were him I would have done it (apologized) simply to ease the bad publicity.
Last edited by DoctorStupid on Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dr. Stupid

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm

dairydead wrote:its frustrating to me that artists these days do not have the freedom to write characters and scenes how they'd like. It blows my mind that Star Trek, a franchise with 99% male main characters, is somehow expected to feature a "strong" female main character even if the story doesn't call for it.

You read superhero comics.
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
"Should be" being the key words here.

Hence my point that the current approach to making trailers needs to CHANGE.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Punchy wrote:I think all that needs to be said is that Kirk was in his underwear too.

Yeah, but I wanted moer guys in underwear...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 18 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: RE: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apol

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Comparisons to the older characters while understandable is a bit odd. The 60s was a bit of a different time and Uhura did play a decent role considering (yes it could have been more progressive, but a black woman and an officer was kind of a bid deal in 1966). As far as Marcus is concerned, her role in 82 was not as physical but she was strong, and smart. She really bucked those in the military who wanted to turn her research into weapons of war. And she was a lot older (not that older people cannot be strong).

IF this new Trek is anything like the old Trek, the reason you don't see women at the meeting of captains and admirals is that women were not captains back then. It was a large point in the final episode of Star Trek in 69. Yeah another area where classic Trek could have been more progressive.

There were women there. A Vulcan woman.. looks like a commander.

"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum