Advertisement

What Microsoft Did Wrong at the XBox Reveal

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

What Microsoft Did Wrong at the XBox Reveal

Postby LOLtron » Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 pm

What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Microsoft revealed an impressive piece of hardward today, but they came up short in a lot of ways as well and we look at them here.

You can read about the official reveal here.

The XBox One is definitely a decent piece of hardware with solid software backing it up and as an XBox fan I was looking foward to todays reveal.  Unfortunately, many felt they came up short for fans today and with Sony's stock rising immediately after the XBox reveal, it wasn't just gamers that thought the event was lacking.

I'm not here to talk about the appearance of the console, personally, I'd rather have something that blends into my A/V equipment than what we've been offered from console makers in the past.  I'm not going to harp on the name, which is not that great (OK, I guess I harped on it a little).  I won't even talk about the fact that it's not backwards compatible with old XBox games, a problem it shares with the PS4.  I'm here to talk about the presentation itself.

This was an event they promoted the heck out of.  It wasn't just a stream for journalists or a presentation to stockholders, this was going out to everyday gamers.  So what could they have done differently?

All Console and No Games

I knew the presentation would be about the new XBox and that the games were being saved for E3.  That news came out days ago and I'm even fine with it.  Where they messed up here was not making that obvious to everyone from the beginning.  Not every player that was looking forward to today's reveal was aware of that news and there were a lot of disappointed fans watching the broadcast today.  Telling them "Well, we told some websites the other day that this would just be about the console," isn't going to unruffle those feathers.

To give you a personal story, my son (a big xbox gamer) just got home from school a little while ago and asked about the reveal.  I told him he could still watch the replay if he wanted and that it was just about the console and not about games.  When I checked on him a little while later, he was passed out asleep from the video and after waking him, he said, 'eh, not enough about games or even playing games'.  This was immediately after I told him there would be no game info, so you can see what a problem preconceptions can be.  Unfortunately, when you are a business, you can't dismiss that as 'your problem, not mine' when it's a customer.

Not having your console reveal include technical details

If you are going to keep an announcement based simply on the console and save the games for another day, you should damn well give people everything they want to know about the console.  I spent hours after the reveal was over trading info with other journalists, searching other sites, all for information like the TFLOPS of the GPU, whether the RAM was GDDR3 or 5, etc. and still don't have every question answered.  If you are going to have a huge announcement where you tell everyone about your new hardware, then tell them about the hardware.  This isn't Best Buy, telling me 8GB of RAM and 500 GB HD isn't going to cut it.

Not to mention the other small details that people will want to know, like the fact that the new system doesn't just come with Kinect, but requires it to be hooked up.  Maybe mention that the HD cannot be replaced by users, since they are used to being able to do so easily on your last console.  Tell viewers that your RAM is partitioned so out of the 8GB, only 5 is going to be used for gaming.  Or how the built-in battery on the controller isn't going to be a problem for gamers, when it seems like it could be.  You have a line-up of folks that for the most part, aren't motivational speakers, at least let them talk about all the details people are craving and own up to the decisions you made buildling the console.

Not addressing the rumors

In the weeks and months leading up to official news from Microsoft on the new console, there have been countless stories about always online connectivity and used games being locked out.  These issues were not even hinted at during the reveal.

As someone following this story, there wasn't even an official press release on the side that addressed these issues, or a side Q&A about it - You know, the way the announced that the console would not be backwards compatible.  All day websites have been posting quotes from various parties and assumptions about how this will work and most of the (hopefully accurate) answers at the end of the day have come from various microsoft related parties on twitter.

Does the new console have to always be online?  Hell, I'm still not sure.  So far the story seems to be, no it doesn't, except maybe sometimes, unless it's a cloud based game, then yes, but it will need to verify games you play.  Can I play used games?  Well, you can, but you have to pay to activate it again, oh wait, no you don't, it will just deactivate on the old console when used in a new console.  No, what it is, game is matched to your profile, and your profile is available through the cloud.  But I thought I didn't have to always be online? 

These issues are only just now getting real clarifiction, hours after the reveal ended.

I would say this information should have, at the very least, been addressed by an official and full explanation from Microsoft in press release form after the event.  But really, they should have dealt with it on stage.  If you are making good decisions for your customers, then you should be proud of what you have to say about your machine.

All-in-all, there is a lot of hope for the new console.  It has a lot of positive features and their focus on entertainment over gaming may have been a negative to some, but it actually is one of the few things that make it different than the PS4.  XBox doesn't have a headstart on Sony this time around and the stats of the two units are so similar the only difference maker here will be the games and software.  For all the negatives, the XBox One did have an impressive looking interface and the way it's positioned to make use of 'the cloud' to allow the console to grow over time may be the difference maker for some.

No matter how you feel about today's presentation, the real test for both the consoles will be at E3.  Try and hold your final judgement until you've seen everything they both have to offer and stay tuned to The Outhouse for E3 news!

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Nick Piers
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby Nick Piers » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Between this and Sony not allowing me to transfer my PSN bought digital games, both companies are convincing me to just get a good gaming PC.

David Cervantes
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby David Cervantes » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Don't mind, going to buy a pc with more ram than those two consoles.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby Herald » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Good thing Spike TV's coverage DID mention games like the next Call of Duty. At least someone knew better...

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, the XBox Reveal did mention Call of Duty as well as a couple other games and a lot of sports games. But it still didn't seem to be enough for some.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 am

Came across this on youtube:

:lol:

StaticVic
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Lavish Life style
Formerly: Teflon Don

Postby StaticVic » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 am

xaraan wrote:Came across this on youtube:

:lol:

the video is hilarious :smt005
"I think they want us to come and find them." - Dr. Elizabeth Shaw

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 am

As Space Ghost once pointed out, "Say a word enough times, and it loses all its meaning!" :P

Kat_Rocha
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Kat_Rocha » Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am

I buy systems to play games. Not to watch TV. That is what a cable box is for. Besides, I disconnected my cable almost six years ago.
This smacks of some corporate hack thinking they can ream the public. They obviously haven't heard of Divix. "Hey Jack Ass!! Pay to Play DOESN'T WORK!"

I'm buying the PS 4. F*ck Microsoft.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm

xaraan wrote:Well, the XBox Reveal did mention Call of Duty as well as a couple other games and a lot of sports games. But it still didn't seem to be enough for some.

Everything they showed except Forza and that Quantum Break game was multi-platform, so big whoop. :smt102

All those EA sports games will be on PS4 as well. So will Call of Duty.

Microsoft had timed DLC exclusives with COD this generation as well, so announcing that they will get DLC's first isn't some shocking thing..

They literally had nothing on the gaming end to wow people.

I know this was meant to be more of a hardware announcement, but it didn't hit the right notes to me. It seemed like they're more interested in the media center aspect of the Xbox, and gamers are secondary. And that's fine, but with Nintendo already leaving core gamers behind for casuals, I'd hate to see Microsoft do the same in favor of being able to watch TV and shit. I'm pretty lazy, but I'm not lazy enough to drop $500 on a device just to be able to change channels with my voice or motion gestures.

E3 will be really telling, but right now, just based off the two presentations.. Sony is for me. I like that they're embracing developers (whereas Microsoft seems to be pushing them away, except for the big studios) and they actually showed some really interesting tech demos that apply to gaming, as well as exclusive games in their presentation.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 pm

They could have balanced it a bit more. There were some things that came out later yesterday that were nice new features. Mentioning a few of those could have offset all the bad stuff a little bit.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Wed May 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Chris wrote:
Everything they showed except Forza and that Quantum Break game was multi-platform, so big whoop. :smt102

All those EA sports games will be on PS4 as well. So will Call of Duty.

Microsoft had timed DLC exclusives with COD this generation as well, so announcing that they will get DLC's first isn't some shocking thing..

They literally had nothing on the gaming end to wow people.

I know this was meant to be more of a hardware announcement, but it didn't hit the right notes to me. It seemed like they're more interested in the media center aspect of the Xbox, and gamers are secondary. And that's fine, but with Nintendo already leaving core gamers behind for casuals, I'd hate to see Microsoft do the same in favor of being able to watch TV and shit. I'm pretty lazy, but I'm not lazy enough to drop $500 on a device just to be able to change channels with my voice or motion gestures.

E3 will be really telling, but right now, just based off the two presentations.. Sony is for me. I like that they're embracing developers (whereas Microsoft seems to be pushing them away, except for the big studios) and they actually showed some really interesting tech demos that apply to gaming, as well as exclusive games in their presentation.

I agree with everything Chris has said.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 pm

I didn't like the "you'll have to wait for E3" answers. Now it's in 3 weeks so it's not that long a wait but what was the point of this presentation then?

Why not show everything at E3? The console, the games, the tv stuff etc. Why do what was really half a show now and then basically say "to be continued in 3 weeks"?

They also had weeks to all get their stories straight and they still gave out conflicting information. You know people were going to ask about used games guys. If you had no plans to reveal your plans until E3 make sure you tell that to everyone in your company who may be doing interviews.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 pm

If it's really a water cooler, how cool are we talking? Is there a limit to how much water I can cool? Why would they throw that out there and not give us any answers?

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum