Advertisement

DC Shocker: Legion of Superheroes Cancelled

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: DC Shocker: Legion of Superheroes Cancelled

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
I will, too -- DC, as we all know, totally screwed up what was a great thing.

Having a property where the characters could grow old, retire, be killed and not resurrected...that should have been money in the bank. Talented creators should've been falling all over themselves to get a piece of that property.

Instead, we get the Five-Year Gap, the SW6 Batch, Eat It Grandpa, and no fewer than five relaunches, two of which took place in the last 36 months.

I'm...I'm tired. I'm tired of fighting. DC can do what it wants with the Legion, because it's clear they have no idea WHAT to do with it.

Was anybody out there seriously wanting to read "Brainiac 5's Retirement Party?"

The biggest flaw with that idea is that while in theory you could do that with the Legion, you couldn't do that with Superboy/Superman. The Legionnaires should never be older than what Superman is in the present.

I'd say growing up too much is of the things that hurt the Legion.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Was anybody out there seriously wanting to read "Brainiac 5's Retirement Party?"

Not me. He's one of my favorite members of the team.

I'd say growing up too much is of the things that hurt the Legion.

This. It's one of the reasons my Legion is the so-called "Archie Legion"; they stayed young, and thus got to have (and BE) fun.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu May 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey, I understand what you guys are saying, and I'm certainly not saying that you're wrong -- I'm not saying that at all. There are certainly valid points to your points of view, and they are clear and obvious.

But to me...I think the Legion was at its peak when characters were aging, retiring. This forced new characters, new concepts. It meant that characters could grow.

Polar Boy graduated from the Subs to become Legion Leader. Tellus and Quislet were introduced as the Legion became truly representative of the very large universe they were there to protect.

You could have mentoring. True legacy characters -- I was always amazed at how Paul Levitz never followed up on the Rock of Eternity/Captain Marvel-type thread he started, then abandoned.

There was SO MUCH they could've done. So much. They wound up not doing any of it.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 17, 2013 3:21 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Hey, I understand what you guys are saying, and I'm certainly not saying that you're wrong -- I'm not saying that at all. There are certainly valid points to your points of view, and they are clear and obvious.

But to me...I think the Legion was at its peak when characters were aging, retiring. This forced new characters, new concepts. It meant that characters could grow.

Polar Boy graduated from the Subs to become Legion Leader. Tellus and Quislet were introduced as the Legion became truly representative of the very large universe they were there to protect.

You could have mentoring. True legacy characters -- I was always amazed at how Paul Levitz never followed up on the Rock of Eternity/Captain Marvel-type thread he started, then abandoned.

There was SO MUCH they could've done. So much. They wound up not doing any of it.

I get that some people liked that. But for me, the book lost a lot of the fun it used to have back in the day, when you'd see team members hanging out, doing on dates to the 3-D drive-in in flying cars, playing D&D holographic programs, going to Galaxy Land (or whatever that floating amusement park above the Grand Canyon was). It gave the 31st century more of a "future wonderland" aspect in which the Legionnaires shared how cool it was with the readers. The older team has really lost those kind of moments since the return. Especially when they never seem to leave the HQ except for missions.

And "forced" would be a good definition of how the addition of this newer batch of team members feels. It's more like adults supervising kids at school youth group at times. (Brainy even referred to them as "children" recently.) People like the "generational" fell of the JSA, but that doesn't work quite well with the Legion, IMHO.

If anything, the Legion should be more "fraternal" instead of "generational," with the old guard acting more like older siblings or upper classmen than teachers or parents.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 17, 2013 3:28 am

Herald wrote:

This. It's one of the reasons my Legion is the so-called "Archie Legion"; they stayed young, and thus got to have (and BE) fun.

It's why I said the team should have been de-aged (which it really hasn't appeared to be in the NU-52) this go-around. Levitz could have easily done it without harming continuity. Just have the events in the timeline happen in a span of five years or so. Then, the oldest members would at best be around 22-23 at best, which could account for marriages like Garth and Imra, Chuck and Lournu.*

*(yeah I'm misspelling her name. It's 4:30 AM, and I don't really care to spellcheck beyond what I can click. ESP after spending an hour writing on the blog.)

- Sons of the Desert

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 am

On the positive side, I was surprised to see a George Perez Legion cover this month. :-D

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 am

Johnny Smith wrote:On the positive side, I was surprised to see a George Perez Legion cover this month. :-D

Sadly, it doesn't come with Perez art inside.

- Sons of the Desert

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 am

Herald wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Brainiac 5, I love that character, always have.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri May 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Brainiac 5, I love that character, always have.

Never too much of a Brainy fan. I always liked Karate Kid, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lass, and Mon-El, better.

- Sons of the Desert

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Never too much of a Brainy fan. I always liked Karate Kid, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lass, and Mon-El, better.

I think besides Brainiac 5 I've always been a Mon-El fan, I'm not sure why though (in Brainiac's case I understand why).

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Arion wrote:
I think besides Brainiac 5 I've always been a Mon-El fan, I'm not sure why though (in Brainiac's case I understand why).

I've really only found Brainy interesting when Supergirl was somehow involved.

- Sons of the Desert

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 373 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm

My favorites are Brainiac 5, XS, Gates, and Thunder (largely because I like the idea of having a Marvel on the team).

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Hey, I understand what you guys are saying, and I'm certainly not saying that you're wrong -- I'm not saying that at all. There are certainly valid points to your points of view, and they are clear and obvious.

Yep, that was my Legion. I agree. It was great that you felt like the Legion was evolving and changing as the first group moved into mentor rolls and some of the subs graduated to the big leagues. "Sigh"...face it, ESF...we're old...ish. :wink:

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 149 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 am

Juan Cena wrote:
I've really only found Brainy interesting when Supergirl was somehow involved.

I've really only found Supergirl interesting when Brainy was somehow involved.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 22, 2013 5:38 am

alaska1125 wrote:I've really only found Supergirl interesting when Brainy was somehow involved.

That too.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand