Advertisement

'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologizes for "Gratuitous" Underwear Scene

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
User avatar
Fagorstorm
 
Posts: 13173
Likes: 314 posts
Liked in: 405 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Herald » Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 pm

DoctorStupid wrote:
Totally flawed logic, I say. I will add a hypothetical sentence to the end of PDH's sentence to illustrate how what he said does not in any way state that "pandering to male nerds" exclusively means "nearly naked woman".

"I didn't claim that the movie was not pandering to male nerds. I think that it was with that scene at least. I also think it was pandering to male nerds when Spock yelled, 'KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!'"

Just because he said that the scene in question is a form of pandering to male nerds doesn't in any way suggest that it's the ONLY form.


I never said that it's the ONLY form. You assume that I said that. Also, notice that even PDH himself didn't try to argue that part you are arguing about; even he knows that I was right about that.

Herald wrote:I wouldn't make that claim, man. Just because one woman likes seeing underdressed women doesn't mean "many" of them do. Have you seen my thread about the "6 Stupid Superheroine Designs That Need Redesign, Stat!", in which a female artist bends over backwards to cover up every superheroine she was asked to redesign?? And the female writer of the article badmouths the near-nakedness of every female character up for redesign except her best buddy, Emma Frost?? That's the sort of thing that messes up your claim


Totally not what I said. In fact, I literally said that most females do not want to see naked chicks. (My wife included.) See below...


Not because I think that most females want to see naked chicks...but because they like to see sexually explicit things as well. Things that excite them.


Women are just as much human beings as men are. They have an inherent want and need for sexual excitement as well. I don't think they want to see the same things men do, however. We want to see the obvious stuff like actual sex and bare boobies. They are more interested in emotional connections in movies, and in that scene, there was sexual tension between the two characters. That sexual tension is what I believe would be a draw for many women.


You did say that "they like to see sexually explicit things as well"; that's the part I take issue with. (I highlighted it above for easy reference.) I'm not talking about the "emotional connections" part of your argument, since emotional connections are not "sexually explicit". Sexually explicit things include nudity and penetration. You know, things kids ought not to see... and things not all women like to see.

Also, your example of the superheroine redesign is relevant, but it's hardly proof. You are referencing a single woman. In fact, even if you reference 1,000 articles it still is only a tiny fraction of the view of the masses. A poor sample really. Just like me citing my wife is a poor sample.


As long as you realize that last line. :wink:

Oh, and for the record, I referenced TWO women, not just one. :-D

The reality is, no one can speak for the masses. What you hear on TV or read in articles and blogs...those are the loud people, not the average people. Especially when it comes to a more taboo topic like this. For example, if we were straight up suggesting that most females love to see naked chicks in movies, how many females do you think would openly admit it? Sure, there would be some, but most would keep quiet or just flat out deny it, I imagine. So I suppose, after reading my own argument, I am concluding that it's a silly thing to try to prove (one way or the other), and I still firmly stand by my theory simply out of pride and an inability to give up so early in a debate. (Don't mistaken that as a backwards way of saying that I think I'm wrong either.) =D


So, like I said, you shouldn't have gone down that road in the first place. :wink:


Ha! Just to clarify, I was only kidding around. I really do think his argument is pretty sound. You do make some good points as well, I think, but a lot of your statements are pretty soaked with sarcasm and perhaps a little disdain, so it's difficult to weed through them. I would say that maybe this is the reason that people tend to side against you. Maybe their bias isn't blindly toward PDH...it could be blind bias against you.


Like you said, it's blind, based on emotion.

As some pointy-eared Trek character would say, "Most illogical..."

Absolutely! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!! *punches the nearest Outhouser in the face and throws a table over*


:lol:
Last edited by Herald on Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 77448
Likes: 717 posts
Liked in: 1173 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Pwned by a sonnet. :lol:
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 77448
Likes: 717 posts
Liked in: 1173 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed May 22, 2013 4:10 pm

And oddly enough, I don't think it's the first time that's happened on the Outhouse. :lol:
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Herald
User avatar
Fagorstorm
 
Posts: 13173
Likes: 314 posts
Liked in: 405 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Herald » Wed May 22, 2013 4:10 pm

PDH wrote:I'm sorry, I do apologise.


As well you should. 8)

Oh, and I'm not impressed that you FINALLY figured out how to Google Shakespearean quotes. If you wanted to prove that YOU YOURSELF knew anything about the Bard, the time to do that was BEFORE you asked "Who's MacDuff?" Learn more so you'll do better next time, though.
Last edited by Herald on Wed May 22, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

3MJ
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby 3MJ » Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Shakespeare quotes?

Herald thought they were actual Shakespeare quotes! Hahahaha! He'd changed the words around not quoted Shakespeare you idiot!

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13232
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby jeremy » Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 pm

PDH wrote:
I'm sorry, I do apologise.

Shall I compare thee to a broken clock?
Thou art more stubborn, though less right.
For twice a day the clock shall tick and tock,
In time whilst thou art always full of shite.
Or to, perhaps, a broken record, then?
Which drones a tedious, obnoxious song,
To baffle and annoy us all again,
With a tune both kind of sad and wrong.
It matters not to what thou art compared,
For at least a broken clock or record copes,
With far less whinging and more wisdom spared,
And without a million links to TVTropes.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long thou wilt complain about DC.

And also, doth mother know thou wearest her drapes?


:smt005 :smt041

Herald
User avatar
Fagorstorm
 
Posts: 13173
Likes: 314 posts
Liked in: 405 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Herald » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Jubilee wrote:Shakespeare quotes?

Herald thought they were actual Shakespeare quotes! Hahahaha! He'd changed the words around not quoted Shakespeare you idiot!


"Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be!" :roll:

It's BASED on a Shakespearean sonnet, you idiot! THINK before you speak, for once!

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72477
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 882 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby sdsichero » Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:
I can forgive the use of future antiques, or redressing something to look alien or faux-tech. Or even no money to spend on it. This was just plain laziness.


I understand this. Old Kirk ended up having some antiques. However, I do feel that a lot of the design for this movie (and even the last movie) was bad. That crap LCD alarm clock was sad. Engineering is still a total mess. Hate the bridge too, but engineering is worse.

GLX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 39077
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 107 posts
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Title: Leader of The Society


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby GLX » Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I haven't seen the movie, so I can't put the scene in context, but the fact that Alice Eve was paraded around in her underwear in like 75% of the promos and trailers for the movie doesn't exactly scream "she's more than just sex appeal!" to me.


Yep. She's attractive and all, but I can't see any deep need for it in promo material.
Image

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

guitargod694
User avatar
Post Whore
 
Posts: 1092
Likes: 120 posts
Liked in: 100 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 pm
Title: Total Spaceship Guy


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby guitargod694 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:20 pm

PDH wrote:It requires knowledge of your arguments and posting history, it doesn't require knowledge of the Big Bang Theory.


Herald wrote:You don't even have THAT, since you don't even know that I love the fact that I pissed off Dan so much that he had to take a swipe at me. Again, I post about it REPEATEDLY.


He's got you there, PDH...
If you did have knowledge of his arguments and posting history, you would know better than to engage in this conversation at all.

Wicked sonnet, though. :-D
-Bill-

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 77448
Likes: 717 posts
Liked in: 1173 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm

:lol:
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 68385
Likes: 1321 posts
Liked in: 1196 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm

ENOUGH!!!

Image

Better?

































NO!!!

Image

Now Better. :-D
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Herald
User avatar
Fagorstorm
 
Posts: 13173
Likes: 314 posts
Liked in: 405 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Herald » Wed May 22, 2013 7:06 pm

guitargod694 wrote:He's got you there, PDH...
If you did have knowledge of his arguments and posting history, you would know better than to engage in this conversation at all.


Hey, like I said, I spared everyone this argument the FIRST time PDH tried to make it happen. Some people just can't take a hint. :smt102

Wicked sonnet, though.


Don't say "wicked" unless you're time-traveling back to the '80s. :smt011

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18451
Likes: 17 posts
Liked in: 124 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby Arion » Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Pwned by a sonnet. :lol:


Ah the tragedy.

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8212
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 122 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Online


Re: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Writer Damon Lindelof Apologiz

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 am

PDH wrote:
I'm sorry, I do apologise.

Shall I compare thee to a broken clock?
Thou art more stubborn, though less right.
For twice a day the clock shall tick and tock,
In time whilst thou art always full of shite.
Or to, perhaps, a broken record, then?
Which drones a tedious, obnoxious song,
To baffle and annoy us all again,
With a tune both kind of sad and wrong.
It matters not to what thou art compared,
For at least a broken clock or record copes,
With far less whinging and more wisdom spared,
And without a million links to TVTropes.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long thou wilt complain about DC.

And also, doth mother know thou wearest her drapes?

:lol:

Bravo.
Image

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Advertisement