Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games

Postby GLX » Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm

From her Twitter feed:

Nearing completion on my next video focusing on the intersection of violence against women & the Damsel in Distress trope in modern games. We're working with some extremely graphic & triggering imagery and it's been difficult to decide how much violence against women to show.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

GLX wrote:From her Twitter feed:

good lord this woman is unbelievably frustrating.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 481 posts
Formerly: AMS

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Is she really that far up her own ass to honestly think that there's some sort of categorical difference between violence against men and violence against women? And if so, doesn't the delineation imply the very "sexist" views she's fighting against?
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed May 22, 2013 5:17 pm

dairydead wrote:Is she really that far up her own ass to honestly think that there's some sort of categorical difference between violence against men and violence against women? And if so, doesn't the delineation imply the very "sexist" views she's fighting against?

She's paid to think that way.

Hab

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if she adds a trigger warning before the video. As far as content is concerned, she'd likely add the most violent and disturbing examples she finds. Does this justify the wait? I'm not entirely sold on that. She's been doing talks since her first video. Then again, delaying a video over content concerns wouldn't be that big of a reach with her.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Upd

Postby GLX » Tue May 28, 2013 3:52 pm

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

GLX wrote:

Removed for violating TOS.

Hab

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Looks like my harassers abused YouTube's flag function to get my new Tropes vs Women video removed. Not the first time it's happened.

We are looking into the issue and will update you all as soon as we know the full story and can get the video restored. #tropesvswomen

https://twitter.com/femfreq

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 187 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue May 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Holy crap, what the hell was on that thing?

Did she get nekkid?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue May 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Log-Man wrote:Holy crap, what the hell was on that thing?

Did she get nekkid?

From what I was able to view, she talked about violence against women in video games. Anita didn't approve of the game Ico and coined the term "Damsels in Refrigerators" (Dead women that are rescued by men).

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue May 28, 2013 5:16 pm

habitual wrote:
Removed for violating TOS.

Hab

The video works again.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue May 28, 2013 5:45 pm

It's like somebody at one time told her that she didn't need to have an actual point, so long as she just kept repeating the same buzzwords and taglines over and over again. In fact, it reminds me of the Office episode "Dwight's Speech" where Jim pulled Dwight to the side and told him that "The key to being a good public speaker is waving your arms in the air and pounding your fists on the table. A lot."
ImageImageImage

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Transcript of her latest video can be foundhere.

sample wrote:One of the really insidious things about systemic & institutional sexism is that most often regressive attitudes and harmful gender stereotypes are perpetuated and maintained unintentionally.

Likewise engaging with these games is not going to magically transform players into raging sexists. We typically don’t have a monkey-see monkey-do, direct cause and effect relationship with the media we consume. Cultural influence works in much more subtle and complicated ways, however media narratives do have a powerful cultivation effect helping to shape cultural attitudes and opinions.

So when developers exploit sensationalized images of brutalized, mutilated and victimized women over and over and over again it tends to reinforce the dominant gender paradigm which casts men as aggressive and commanding and frames women as subordinate and dependent.

Although these stories use female trauma as a catalyst to set the plot elements in motion, these are not stories about women. Nor are they concerned with the struggles of women navigating the mental, emotional and physical ramifications of violence.

Instead these are strictly male-centered stories in which, more often than not, the tragic damsels are just empty shells, whose deaths are depicted as far more meaningful than their lives. Generally they’re completely defined by their purity, innocence, kindness, beauty or sensuality. In short they’re just symbols meant to invoke the essence of an artificial feminine ideal.

Clip- Shadows of the Damned
“Help me!”

In fact these games usually frame the loss of the woman as something that has been unjustly “taken” from the male hero.

Clip- The Darkness II
“So now I take from you”
“Jackie, this is not your fault”
[Gunshot]

The implication being that she had belonged to him – that she was his possession. Once wronged the hero must then go get his possessions back or at least exact a heavy price for their loss. On the surface victimized women are framed as the reason for the hero’s torment, but if we dig a little deeper into the subtext I’d argue that the true source of the pain stems from feelings of weakness and/or guilt over his failure to perform his “socially prescribed” patriarchal duty to protect his women and children.

Clip- Max Payne 3
“And I hated myself for allowing this to happen to her, and our little girl”

In this way these failed-hero stories are really about the perceived loss of masculinity, and then the quest to regain that masculinity, primarily by exerting dominance and control, through the performance of violence on others.

Consequently violent revenge based narratives, repeated ad nauseum, can also be harmful to men because they help further limit the possible responses men are allowed to have when faced with death or tragedy. This is unfortunate because interactive media has the potential to be a brilliant medium for people of all genders to explore difficult or painful subjects.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 78 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Tue May 28, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm always torn on her because while she occasionally has a good point I largely disagree with a lot of what she says...but the people who come out with videos criticizing her are always the worst dregs of the internet and make me embarrassed for dudes in general.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum