Advertisement

Green Lantern #20: The Geoff Johns I remembered (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Green Lantern #20: The Geoff Johns I remembered (spoilers)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Spoilers ahoy, I would think! You've been warned!

There once was a time when I really, really liked how Geoff Johns approached the writing of comic books. I am not ashamed to admit that one iota. Back when he used to "fix" things, characters who had been broken through nothing more than neglect or horrific, short-term ideas that paid no heed to what makes superheroes, especially DC heroes, great.

That started to change around the time of Infinite Crisis, when it became crystal clear that what Johns was doing was far worse: He wasn't restoring characters to a good state because it was the right thing to do. He was restoring characters that he liked to a good state...and to hell with any other concept that he didn't care for.

So. Freedom Fighters? Slaughtered. Earth-2 Superman? Beaten to death by one of the single-worst characters ever introduced in comics. Man crush on Black Adam? Yep. Clear disdain for Billy Batson and the concept of Captain Marvel? Yep.

What works for Aquaman, which is a concept he likes, sure doesn't seem to take with Ray Palmer or Rex Mason, for example.

But this isn't about that. This is about Green Lantern #20, which ends one of the longer runs on a book/franchise that we'll see in this era -- and the end of a run which I have called for numerous times because...it was time. Time for new creators to bring a new energy to the concept.

Green Lantern #20, though...it did something I didn't think Johns was capable of doing anymore: I had thought that he was so cynical in his writing now that he simply wasn't capable of delivering the "Whatever Happened to..." vignettes that he provided for all of the principal characters in the series.

The issue itself...I didn't care about Volthoom or Black Hand or the Wrath of the First Lantern storyline. Whether that was good or not, I'll let others decide.

But for those vignettes...it was nice. They were nice. Because I'm so sick of the Good Guys always losing or being incompetent...it was just nice to think, even for just a few pages, that Johns remembers that some people -- at least, I do -- read these things because we want to root for the lead characters, we want them to "win" even though they face challenges, and that we want to believe that if they are chosen, or choose to be heroes, that they will succeed in their tasks.

I am as critical of DC and its practices as anyone. But for one month, for a few pages of an oversized issue, it was nice to remember what Geoff Johns and DC used to be: A writer and company where hope was always possible.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Green Lantern #20: The Geoff Johns I remembered (spoiler

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm

That started to change around the time of Infinite Crisis, when it became crystal clear that what Johns was doing was far worse: He wasn't restoring characters to a good state because it was the right thing to do. He was restoring characters that he liked to a good state...and to hell with any other concept that he didn't care for.

So. Freedom Fighters? Slaughtered. Earth-2 Superman? Beaten to death by one of the single-worst characters ever introduced in comics. Man crush on Black Adam? Yep. Clear disdain for Billy Batson and the concept of Captain Marvel? Yep.

Johns must have really hated the Legion with what he did with it.

Same goes for Superman.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 722 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I really liked this issue, it was nice to have the "real" Geoff Johns back even if it was for one issue. It was a great issue to end his run on the series, and likely my reading of the franchise.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1190 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Ooo! Ooooo! Do Bendis now. :-D
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Okay I admit it. This was a fitting end to a great run. I'm a little disappointed at Kyle's "end". But for one character's end? Sinestro's? WORTH IT. Along with Ganthet. THAT SMURF DESERVED A HAPPY ENDING. I'm VERY pleased.

The only other wish I have? One final splash page of the other villains of GL: Nekron, the Anti-Monitor, Krona, Black Hand, Cyborg Superman, Hector Hammond, Manhunters, Superboy Prime, and Mongul.

Just one more glorious splash page of those rogues.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Not going to lie, I got choked up when little Hal thought that older Hal was his dad and hugged him telling him that he missed him. It was a great moment that really made the entire issue something special. Excellent finale for Geoff Johns.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Any mention of Soranik Natu or Sodam Yat?

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 722 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Soranik was in a big group splash page

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 am

Grayson wrote:Not going to lie, I got choked up when little Hal thought that older Hal was his dad and hugged him telling him that he missed him. It was a great moment that really made the entire issue something special. Excellent finale for Geoff Johns.

That didn't choke me up. Ganthet surviving along with Sayd did. The cheese happy ending those two smurfs deserved.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:43 am

Zechs wrote:Okay I admit it. This was a fitting end to a great run. I'm a little disappointed at Kyle's "end". But for one character's end? Sinestro's? WORTH IT.

Yeah, Kyle's "end" seemed a bit flat but I think the point was that, instead of retiring as the others did, he continued to help as many people as possible until his final days. It was also surprising to follow Sinestro's path.

This thing read like a novella. Totally worth the 2 week delay (despite GLC spoiling the ending).
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 am

The best part of Johns' run is portraying the complex relationship that's developed between Hal Jordan and Sinestro. One of the best moments in this issue is when Hal asks Sinestro if they were every truly friends and Sinestro says: “That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal. We’ll always be friends.”

Did anybody notice G'Nort got a moment? :-D

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 am

Zechs wrote:
That didn't choke me up. Ganthet surviving along with Sayd did. The cheese happy ending those two smurfs deserved.

"We've always been friends, Hal..." was the most touching thing to me in that book.

Sinestro needs his own book.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

Johnny Smith wrote:The best part of Johns' run is portraying the complex relationship that's developed between Hal Jordan and Sinestro. One of the best moments in this issue is when Hal asks Sinestro if they were every truly friends and Sinestro says: “That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal. We’ll always be friends.”

wait...lolwut? that legit sounds like the dumbest thing ever written in a DC comic ever. EVER. shit like this is exactly the reason I finally dropped Johns's GL. absolutely retarded.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

GOSD wrote:
"We've always been friends, Hal..." was the most touching thing to me in that book.

Sinestro needs his own book.

SERIOUSLY??????? they got to you too? WTF is wrong with you people? :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am

chap22 wrote:SERIOUSLY??????? they got to you too? WTF is wrong with you people? :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

We've always been friends, chap...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand