Advertisement

What Microsoft Did Wrong at the XBox Reveal

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9502
Likes: 240 posts
Liked in: 1331 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm

I'll wait for E3 before I make any decisions. I don't really understand all the people that are worked up over the lack of games. It was a console revealing. They showed the console, controller, some games, and all the extra bells and whistles. I think they were aiming it to appeal to the general public. E3 will be the place to please the hardcore gamers. I'm going to guess the Xbox One will see the same third party support as the 360 with probably a couple of money hat exclusives. We are also going to see 15 first party games within the first year, 8 being new IPs. We already know about Assassin Creed 4: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Destiny, Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 5, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14, UFC, and FIFA 14.

I personally don't care about the used game policy, because I don't buy used games. I see how this could be a problem for other people though. Microsoft needs to clarify this.

I don't like this generations Kinect and have no room in my bedroom to use it. To force Xbox One owners to have a Kinect is kind of dumb. I'm never going to use it beyond simple voice commands and it's going to add to the price of the console. I have heard the Kinect 2.0 is much improved though. The Kinect now has a much wider field of vision, allows you to stand closer, can tell what direction you are looking in, can track your heart rate(great for fitness games and horror?), reads facial expressions, etc...

I wasn't expecting backward compatibility on the retail games. It would have been nice to see it on the arcade games, and there's really no excuse why they aren't.

I have no problem with how the console or controller looks. People that have used the controller say it's excellent. I like the improved d-pad and am intrigued by the "dynamic impulse triggers." The controller looks just as comfortable as the 360's. The communication between the wireless controller and the console has also been improved, with the response times reduced by about 15% to 20%.

The Xbox One is going to be weaker than the PS4, but the 360 is weaker than the PS3, so that's not really that big of news. Third party games will probably look identical on both systems and first party games will probably look slightly better on the PS4.

The exclusive TV shows like Halo could be great, if the shows don't suck. Getting Spielberg behind it is a great start. I'll hold out judgement until I see them.

I want to see what the launch games will be, console pricing, and release date. I could easily picture the Xbox One being $100 cheaper than the PS4. If Microsoft is smart, they should sneak it out before the PS4 hits shelves.
Image

Advertisement

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 815 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby sdsichero » Wed May 22, 2013 5:31 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:I'll wait for E3 before I make any decisions. I don't really understand all the people that are worked up over the lack of games. It was a console revealing. They showed the console, controller, some games, and all the extra bells and whistles. I think they were aiming it to appeal to the general public. E3 will be the place to please the hardcore gamers. I'm going to guess the Xbox One will see the same third party support as the 360 with probably a couple of money hat exclusives. We are also going to see 15 first party games within the first year, 8 being new IPs. We already know about Assassin Creed 4: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Destiny, Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 5, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14, UFC, and FIFA 14.


I didn't follow this that closely. The first hints (late April) I believe just noted the console unveiling. But it's a game console so you'd expect the focus to revolve around games. Some were saying that MS said it wouldn't be so much about games, that was news to me but I think they may have clarified that before the conference (though I don't know how long before).

Maybe what got people's underwear in a bunch was that, even though the focus wasn't on games, most of the announcements were not related to games. It was mostly about TV and stuff. Not how the technologies would aid or add to games so much as just other stuff.

Again, I'm not the market for it, but I certainly understand folks being disappointed.

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby jeremy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Chris wrote:
Everything they showed except Forza and that Quantum Break game was multi-platform, so big whoop. :smt102

All those EA sports games will be on PS4 as well. So will Call of Duty.

Microsoft had timed DLC exclusives with COD this generation as well, so announcing that they will get DLC's first isn't some shocking thing..

They literally had nothing on the gaming end to wow people.

I know this was meant to be more of a hardware announcement, but it didn't hit the right notes to me. It seemed like they're more interested in the media center aspect of the Xbox, and gamers are secondary. And that's fine, but with Nintendo already leaving core gamers behind for casuals, I'd hate to see Microsoft do the same in favor of being able to watch TV and shit. I'm pretty lazy, but I'm not lazy enough to drop $500 on a device just to be able to change channels with my voice or motion gestures.

E3 will be really telling, but right now, just based off the two presentations.. Sony is for me. I like that they're embracing developers (whereas Microsoft seems to be pushing them away, except for the big studios) and they actually showed some really interesting tech demos that apply to gaming, as well as exclusive games in their presentation.


I was simply offering them credit for what little game stuff they did show before going on with my complaint. My issue was that a lot of people didn't really seem to realize the announcement wasn't going to be about games until during or after. Usually when you get people to watch something expecting one thing and deliver another it doesn't always work out so well.

At this point, I don't see jumping onto either platform. Most problems with one platform exist with the other and all things being equal, if nothing else catches my attention from XBox, I may be switching to Playstation when I eventually do decide to get a new console.

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby jeremy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:
The Xbox One is going to be weaker than the PS4, but the 360 is weaker than the PS3, so that's not really that big of news. Third party games will probably look identical on both systems and first party games will probably look slightly better on the PS4.



I'm not sure how true this really is, the consoles are almost the same. I guess by a very thing margin the PS4 will be a hair more powerful, but it will also have to go through an extra line of code because most games will be written for the Windows Kernel for PC and XBox and then be ported over to PS4. It's no where near the issue it was for the PS3, where it had very different architecture, but may make a difference when we are talking about that 'hair'.

They both have 8GB of RAM, though XBox has partitioned off 5GB for games and nobody knows if Sony has partitioned off any of it's RAM at all. I don't think this will be noticeable right away, but a few years down the road when games start pushing RAM like they have for last few years on current consoles, those partitions may make a difference. The PS4 has DRRM5 and XBox has DRRM3, the five is a bit better and dumping bigger loads (uh heh, he said dumping big loads) of info where the three is a bit better dealing with graphics, plus the XBox chip has another 32mb of RAM on the chip just for graphics.

Another factor that could play a role is the whole "cloud" thing. XBox is talking about games using it during gameplay and going forward using it to make the console more powerful, so it's not just going to be for game saves. They also have a huge load of servers going online for the new launch to support it. I'd really like to know more details on how they plan to make use of the cloud, but that could be a difference in power as well.

I'm really interested to see some benchmark tests (but we probably wont until release or right before). I think games are going to be the big difference maker. Whatever these dozen exclusive XBox titles they have announced better be good and they better make a big splash with them at E3.

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9502
Likes: 240 posts
Liked in: 1331 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm

One of the exclusive Xbox One games is Crytek's Ryse.

The PS4 has a faster GPU and RAM. The first party games should look marginally better. I can't imagine third party games looking any different between the two consoles.

I'm also interested in how Microsoft is going to fully utilize the cloud. Gamers will no doubt need it for games saves. Having to install all your games will fill up that 500GB hard drive in no times. What else will the cloud be used for?
Image

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41435
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby Chris » Wed May 22, 2013 10:47 pm

xaraan wrote:

I'm not sure how true this really is, the consoles are almost the same. I guess by a very thing margin the PS4 will be a hair more powerful, but it will also have to go through an extra line of code because most games will be written for the Windows Kernel for PC and XBox and then be ported over to PS4. It's no where near the issue it was for the PS3, where it had very different architecture, but may make a difference when we are talking about that 'hair'.

They both have 8GB of RAM, though XBox has partitioned off 5GB for games and nobody knows if Sony has partitioned off any of it's RAM at all. I don't think this will be noticeable right away, but a few years down the road when games start pushing RAM like they have for last few years on current consoles, those partitions may make a difference. The PS4 has DRRM5 and XBox has DRRM3, the five is a bit better and dumping bigger loads (uh heh, he said dumping big loads) of info where the three is a bit better dealing with graphics, plus the XBox chip has another 32mb of RAM on the chip just for graphics.

Another factor that could play a role is the whole "cloud" thing. XBox is talking about games using it during gameplay and going forward using it to make the console more powerful, so it's not just going to be for game saves. They also have a huge load of servers going online for the new launch to support it. I'd really like to know more details on how they plan to make use of the cloud, but that could be a difference in power as well.

I'm really interested to see some benchmark tests (but we probably wont until release or right before). I think games are going to be the big difference maker. Whatever these dozen exclusive XBox titles they have announced better be good and they better make a big splash with them at E3.


Something that worries me is.. the XB1 will be switching between 3 seperate OS's at any given time. That has to take a toll on the system. Not to mention it will be running Windows, which comes with its own set of issues.
Image

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41435
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby Chris » Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I also don't know if I really see the XB1 being cheaper than the PS4.

Sony learned their lesson with the PS3, price-wise. Or they should have. I think both systems will be comparatively priced this time around.
Image

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13232
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby jeremy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am

Yea, on the HD, they said only a portion of it will be available to the user and a good chunk of it will be used by the system, so you won't even see 500GBs.

As for the comparisons between the two, I already went over the details. The RAM isn't really going to give the PS4 an advantage unless they allow all 8GB for games and games actually expand to use all of that. The CPUs are identical, except MS took theirs and made custom modifications to it. Games being ported will matter, no matter how much sony fans don't want it to. It's going to be how much XBox wastes juggling 'entertainment' that makes the difference really.

SuperginraiX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 8196
Likes: 115 posts
Liked in: 116 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Waite Park MN
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 am

I watched this press conference as it happened and I still don't know what to make of it. I liked a lot of what I heard but then... it almost seemed like the XBox team wanted to make a high priced Fantasy Football machine. I'm not in that audience. I don't play sports games. I don't have a television subscription.

I don't really trust Sony to make a system that entices me (I was SERIOUSLY burned on the PS2 and everything I read about their handling of the PS3 tells me that they aren't good at learning lessons) but now I'm thinking I should take a look at what the PS4 has to offer. All I really want is a machine that will allow me to party up with friends and play games while we talk. And maybe Netflix but I'm pretty sure my toaster can play Netflix nowadays.

I'm also seriously considering buying a Wii U when they eventually lower the price.
Image

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9502
Likes: 240 posts
Liked in: 1331 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 am

From what I've read, the Xbox One GPU is 1.2 TFLOPS vs the PS4 GPU of 1.84 TFLOPS. Everyone is touting about DDR5's graphical prowess and high bandwidth for visuals. They say DDR3 is better suited for general tasks. The rumors are also that the PS4 is expected to only need 1GB for its OS. I don't know that much about technical specs, but I would assume the PS4 would be more powerful. The real question is if the average gamer will be able to tell the difference?
Image

StaticVic

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 270
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Boston but currently at Philly's Temple University
Title: Lavish Life style
Formerly: Teflon Don


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at the XBox Reveal

Postby StaticVic » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 am

But I did like how Microsoft got right to the point. 5 minutes into the presentation and we saw the Xbox One. Sony had us wait 2 hours and never even showed us the console. wtf.


In the end it really doesn't matter though because I will get both the Xbox & PS4.
Image
"I think they want us to come and find them." - Dr. Elizabeth Shaw

StaticVic

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 270
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Boston but currently at Philly's Temple University
Title: Lavish Life style
Formerly: Teflon Don


Re: What Microsoft Did Wrong at XBox Reveal

Postby StaticVic » Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 am

Schlemmer wrote:Image



watching the shit you have here the fight between Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt is fuckin funny :lol:
Image
"I think they want us to come and find them." - Dr. Elizabeth Shaw

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 49 guests

Advertisement