Advertisement

Why the Rich Don't Feel Rich

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 623 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Why the Rich Don't Feel Rich

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

The only way the economy is ever going to truly recover and people would be for a radical wiping out of all current debt. Let tons of banks and lending institutions fail. Let the economy adjust to real money, not fictional money created solely to be lent. Let people work to own things again, instead of signing up for what amounts to slavery to banks and institutions in exchange for basic human needs like shelter and transportation to a job. Just wipe it all out and start over.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat May 25, 2013 11:52 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:People making $250K a year have plenty of money. No one is saying they're the fucking Monopoly guy, but on $250k a year, you can easily buy a house in the suburbs, comfortably support a family, not want for anything, and save for retirement.

If you make choices that cause your lifestyle to cost more money, that doesn't make you not rich.

On the other hand, a lot of people don't have that choice at all. They live paycheck to paycheck, are swamped with debt, some people are starving, homeless. So no one wants to hear how tough it is to live on $600k a year.

The problem with this country is that wages have stagnated, inflation is ridiculous, rent is high, gas is high, and debt is out of control, and there are hardly any jobs.

I don't think the doc here is a bad guy and I don't begrudge him the money has, but he's not the issue, and his money isn't the issue. The issue is how shitty the country is becoming, and how there are fewer and fewer people in the upper middle class like him, and the rest of the middle class has pretty much fallen into poverty or near poverty. And the corporations and super rich (not this guy) control the government and all the power, so it's only going to get worse.

Yeah, I'd be more than happy with 250k a year.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat May 25, 2013 12:05 pm

I think this thread teaches us an important lesson on the subject of unity, namely that whether left wing or right wing we can all bury our differences and come together to disagree with the Nacireman.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat May 25, 2013 3:36 pm

nietoperz wrote:I think this thread teaches us an important lesson on the subject of unity, namely that whether left wing or right wing we can all bury our differences and come together to disagree with the Nacireman.

Someone Sig that.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 pm

nietoperz wrote:I think this thread teaches us an important lesson on the subject of unity, namely that whether left wing or right wing we can all bury our differences and come together to disagree with the Nacireman.

And yet I get warnings when I say something about how terrible he is.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 363 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The only way the economy is ever going to truly recover and people would be for a radical wiping out of all current debt. Let tons of banks and lending institutions fail. Let the economy adjust to real money, not fictional money created solely to be lent. Let people work to own things again, instead of signing up for what amounts to slavery to banks and institutions in exchange for basic human needs like shelter and transportation to a job. Just wipe it all out and start over.

That's a terrible idea.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Rockman wrote:
That's a terrible idea.

It's a better idea for 1% of the people to have most of the money, and everyone else to owe them money? That sounds like a terrible idea.

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post

Postby The Juan Percenter » Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The only way the economy is ever going to truly recover and people would be for a radical wiping out of all current debt. Let tons of banks and lending institutions fail. Let the economy adjust to real money, not fictional money created solely to be lent. Let people work to own things again, instead of signing up for what amounts to slavery to banks and institutions in exchange for basic human needs like shelter and transportation to a job. Just wipe it all out and start over.

Pay your debts, deadbeat

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 26, 2013 12:00 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's a better idea for 1% of the people to have most of the money, and everyone else to owe them money? That sounds like a terrible idea.

A rising tide lifts all boats Jude.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 26, 2013 12:34 am

The Juan Percenter wrote:
Pay your debts, deadbeat

I paid the banks debts with bailout money. I'd like them to pay their debts (or fail if they can't). But they don't. That's not capitalism. It's something else.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 26, 2013 12:35 am

Rockman wrote:
A rising tide lifts all boats Jude.

The economic tide in America has been falling for 8 years now. A few people are still getting richer, though. Hmmm....

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 26, 2013 7:20 am

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The economic tide in America has been falling for 8 years now. A few people are still getting richer, though. Hmmm....

So you propose wiping out all debt.

What do you think would happen to lending that point? Who in their right mind would lend again if they felt that they had no chance of redeeming their investment?

And ignoring banks, what about people who bought brand new cars or boats. They deserve to have those for free? They don't have to pay their agreed upon price for them? Or all the people with their credit card debt, they can just have all this stuff for free?

I get it you're upset because a college sold your wife a useless degree and she'll spend an obscene amount of time paying it back. I think the college system is screwed up, I think the colleges exist to sell you a degree regardless of usability and it is irresponsible for the government to provide loans to anyone who wants it, rather than actually providing loans only to people entering viable markets. But the answer isn't to "clean slate" debt, the effects of such a thing would be terrible.

And the fact is, no one was tricked into their credit card debt, no one was forced to buy a house they couldn't afford or buy a house at all, no one was forced to buy a new car, no one was forced to live a lifestyle outside of their means. Just because a lot of people are greedy and want what they can't afford, doesn't mean that the right answer is to erase all of their poor life decisions to screw over the banks you hate so much. Also no one was every forced into taking out huge debts for colleges, you may feel that people are tricked into thinking college is more important than it is, or the prices are too high, but when you sign up for loans, are adults are allowed to do at 18 all the information is present to you. I personally think the government shouldn't be involved in the loan process at all, just give out grants/scholarships and leave the loans to people who know they are taking a risk investing in this persons education and will only take that risk if that person is likely to be able to pay them back.

As for some people getting richer the past few years while others struggle :smt102 It happened in the 30's too. I'm not going to be jealous of the what other people have.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby dairydead » Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 am

success should be punished.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum