Wednesday, May 4, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:47 pm

I'd like to see them take it in a completely different direction. Instead of war with the Klingon Empire, broker a peace treaty and take on the Cardassians!

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 pm

outsider wrote:I'd like to see them take it in a completely different direction. Instead of war with the Klingon Empire, broker a peace treaty and take on the Cardassians!

ST: Keeping Up With The Cardassians would be the best Trek movie ever.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
ST: Keeping Up With The Cardassians would be the best Trek movie ever.
:lol: That species does have an unfortunate name.

Since Abrams has talked about Vulcan being Star Trek's "9/11", there's no better Al Qaeda parallel than the Cardassians, imo.

HNutz

Silly French Man

Postby HNutz » Thu May 23, 2013 4:11 pm

sdsichero wrote:
It's early spaceflight though. Space is still somewhat the wild west. In Enterprise, it took 4 days to get there, which I thought was actually fast. So days, yeah but hours? I found that a little... hard to believe.

And... are there any more ships left in Star Fleet? Sheesh the first movie blew up most of the fleet. This movie took out all the captains and admirals. Then Enterprise leaves Earth for its 5 year mission and leaves Earth unprotected.

In the movie, they said that those were the LOCAL captains and first officers.

The Old Doctor

A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Those damn Kardies... Cardies... :P

The Old Doctor

A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm

HNutz wrote:

Don't confuse SD with facts in the film. It just makes him :smt013 instead of :oops: .

:P

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 am

People have the right to not fall in love with the same film, guys.

I thought this was good. Not as good as the first one, which was fantastic, but good. A 6/10. But yes, I'm with those who say there were story problems, especially with some of the resolutions, imo (eg. death should be meaningless 90% of the time now). And as a Trek fan who initially disliked the idea of a reboot, I kinda now wanted Abrams to go in a completely different than the original movies. Instead of getting geeked at certain moments like "KHANNNNN!", I was taken out of the film.

The Dreadnought scenes were awesome, though. And I hope new Trek movies continue to be more Spock-oriented, since that's when the current franchise seems to be at its best.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Fri May 24, 2013 11:14 am

I agree with False Prophet.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 am

I agree with outsider about agreeing with me. :groucho:

And may Strict strike me down for saying this, but I like this Spock just as much, if not more, than the original.

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 am

False Prophet wrote:I agree with outsider about agreeing with me. :groucho:

And may Strict strike me down for saying this, but I like this Spock just as much, if not more, than the original.

Oh boy.

It was nice knowing you. :smt006

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 pm

I haven't seen Strict in a long time.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm

He's been MIA on here and FB for, what, over a year?

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 pm

HNutz wrote:

Fair enough, I guess I missed that. Wasn't most of Starfleet high command there though?

I do still wonder how much personnel Starfleet has. It apparently has been 4 years since the last Trek (I really didn't feel like that was obvious) when at least seven ships were destroyed trying to take out Nero. Since no other ships were sent to take out Nero aside from Enterprise, do they have a lot more?

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Fri May 24, 2013 12:32 pm

False Prophet wrote:He's been MIA on here and FB for, what, over a year?
I hate the stupid fucks that do that crap.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 12:36 pm

I think it's a case of there only being 4-5 ships stationed regionally at a time, before being rotated out. So the meeting was for the senior personnel of those ships plus the CnC.

There's no direct reference to it in the film, but Starfleet still has to be pretty large. But I'm guessing the Federation as a whole isn't as strong as it was in the other timeline, hence the need for more militarization of Starfleet.

leave a comment with facebook