Advertisement

Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72472
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 881 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 12:37 pm

False Prophet wrote:People have the right to not fall in love with the same film, guys.

I thought this was good. Not as good as the first one, which was fantastic, but good. A 6/10. But yes, I'm with those who say there were story problems, especially with some of the resolutions, imo (eg. death should be meaningless 90% of the time now). And as a Trek fan who initially disliked the idea of a reboot, I kinda now wanted Abrams to go in a completely different than the original movies. Instead of getting geeked at certain moments like "KHANNNNN!", I was taken out of the film.

The Dreadnought scenes were awesome, though. And I hope new Trek movies continue to be more Spock-oriented, since that's when the current franchise seems to be at its best.

Ugh!! The first one was a mess. Funny, I don't mind a reboot, but if you do a reboot just do a damn reboot. I hated that they went with the split timeline, it made the first movie so bad.

I agree with you about being taken out of the film with the "geek" moments too. Unfortunately it happened a lot for me.

Dreadnought was interesting... but it was unfortunate that it was kind of a plot point they repeated in the last three films. The previous threat, the mining ship (!) Narada, was a huge ass ship that blew away anything that came near it. Prior to that The Scimitar was a huge ass overpowered ship that could blow away anything. Boring.

Wish they had mixed in there something more along the lines of Meyer's (who also looooooved Spock as hero) where it is more a battle than a blowout.

I didn't completely hate this movie though.

Advertisement

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72472
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 881 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 12:39 pm

False Prophet wrote:I think it's a case of there only being 4-5 ships stationed regionally at a time, before being rotated out. So the meeting was for the senior personnel of those ships plus the CnC.

There's no direct reference to it in the film, but Starfleet still has to be pretty large. But I'm guessing the Federation as a whole isn't as strong as it was in the other timeline, hence the need for more militarization of Starfleet.


It would be nice if they pointed that out somehow. Something simple like a small chart of the quadrant and a throwaway line like "We have xxx ships, but they are all deployed out of range", etc

:smt102

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13232
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby jeremy » Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 pm

SD didn't completely hate it, so it's a step in the right direction if he broke through to that old codger.

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm

sdsichero wrote:Ugh!! The first one was a mess. Funny, I don't mind a reboot, but if you do a reboot just do a damn reboot. I hated that they went with the split timeline, it made the first movie so bad.

I agree with you about being taken out of the film with the "geek" moments too. Unfortunately it happened a lot for me.

Dreadnought was interesting... but it was unfortunate that it was kind of a plot point they repeated in the last three films. The previous threat, the mining ship (!) Narada, was a huge ass ship that blew away anything that came near it. Prior to that The Scimitar was a huge ass overpowered ship that could blow away anything. Boring.

Wish they had mixed in there something more along the lines of Meyer's (who also looooooved Spock as hero) where it is more a battle than a blowout.

I didn't completely hate this movie though.


I'm sure there were problems with first one, but my happiness at seeing a Trek revival overcame them. I think the split timeline was done to somewhat appease the more hardline of us Trekkies, but I figured it was just a means to an end to do completely different stories. That might still be the case, with STiD as a bridge (not that STiD was completely derivative, but Wrath of Khan comparisons are inevitable). I mean, Starfleet now has 70+ Genesis devices/Lazarus Pits and a command that borders the fine line between immorality/incompetence, with a Klingon threat looming large and Romulus no longer being held in check by Vulcan. There are a lot of different directions to take the franchise.

I also get what you're saying about the Dreadnought/Scimitar, but I like big ships like I like big robots. They're just cool. :smt102

Except when done by Michael Bay.

The warp fighting capability was interesting.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 68379
Likes: 1320 posts
Liked in: 1194 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 24, 2013 4:09 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I'm sure there were problems with first one, but my happiness at seeing a Trek revival overcame them. I think the split timeline was done to somewhat appease the more hardline of us Trekkies, but I figured it was just a means to an end to do completely different stories. That might still be the case, with STiD as a bridge (not that STiD was completely derivative, but Wrath of Khan comparisons are inevitable). I mean, Starfleet now has 70+ Genesis devices/Lazarus Pits and a command that borders the fine line between immorality/incompetence, with a Klingon threat looming large and Romulus no longer being held in check by Vulcan. There are a lot of different directions to take the franchise.

I also get what you're saying about the Dreadnought/Scimitar, but I like big ships like I like big robots. They're just cool. :smt102

Except when done by Michael Bay.

The warp fighting capability was interesting.


Damn tailgater! Big ones always drive the smaller ones off the road.


What I find interesting is that the table models in the one scene could prove the split timeline. Those models were fairly accurate to what had gone on in First Contact and Star Trek : Enterprise. But then something seems to have happened post STE for something like the Kelvin to be as it was.

Also, notice that Kronos one moon was destroyed in the film... set long before the events of Undiscovered Country.

There appears to be a big juicy story for the timeline split. With lots of underwear scenes for Uhura and Carol Marcus... maybe Chapel... :-D
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 68379
Likes: 1320 posts
Liked in: 1194 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 24, 2013 4:12 pm

sdsichero wrote:
It would be nice if they pointed that out somehow. Something simple like a small chart of the quadrant and a throwaway line like "We have xxx ships, but they are all deployed out of range", etc

:smt102


That makes little sense. The scene worked.

You are such a curmudgeon on this. :lol:

I miss Kitty_TC... even though she'd kill me for liking this and the last one too.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Damn tailgater! Big ones always drive the smaller ones off the road.


What I find interesting is that the table models in the one scene could prove the split timeline. Those models were fairly accurate to what had gone on in First Contact and Star Trek : Enterprise. But then something seems to have happened post STE for something like the Kelvin to be as it was.

Also, notice that Kronos one moon was destroyed in the film... set long before the events of Undiscovered Country.

There appears to be a big juicy story for the timeline split. With lots of underwear scenes for Uhura and Carol Marcus... maybe Chapel... :-D


You could probably make a case that Enterprise was the true reboot, and that idiot Archer and his beagle created an alternate timeline long before Nero.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 68379
Likes: 1320 posts
Liked in: 1194 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 24, 2013 4:43 pm

False Prophet wrote:
You could probably make a case that Enterprise was the true reboot, and that idiot Archer and his beagle created an alternate timeline long before Nero.


I was thinking that the temporal cold war was the responsible factor. It was perhaps ended along with all time travel and BOOM! We got this timeline.

I liked Archer and the show. Still going to suggest to the haters to rewatch it in marathons. Better then I thought the first time around.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri May 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I was thinking that the temporal cold war was the responsible factor. It was perhaps ended along with all time travel and BOOM! We got this timeline.

I liked Archer and the show. Still going to suggest to the haters to rewatch it in marathons. Better then I thought the first time around.


The last 1.5 seasons were very good. But before that it seemed pretty bland, and I've never liked Archer. But then again, I've never loved Kirk as a captain, pre or post reboot.

Eh, I might marathon ST:E if it's on Netflix.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 68379
Likes: 1320 posts
Liked in: 1194 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 24, 2013 5:14 pm

False Prophet wrote:
The last 1.5 seasons were very good. But before that it seemed pretty bland, and I've never liked Archer. But then again, I've never loved Kirk as a captain, pre or post reboot.

Eh, I might marathon ST:E if it's on Netflix.


I was a bit amazed at watching the show evolve from day one. Hard to see unless in a marathon. Character development too.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72472
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 881 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

xaraan wrote:SD didn't completely hate it, so it's a step in the right direction if he broke through to that old codger.


Not yet Picard clone! Image

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72472
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 881 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I'm sure there were problems with first one, but my happiness at seeing a Trek revival overcame them. I think the split timeline was done to somewhat appease the more hardline of us Trekkies, but I figured it was just a means to an end to do completely different stories. That might still be the case, with STiD as a bridge (not that STiD was completely derivative, but Wrath of Khan comparisons are inevitable). I mean, Starfleet now has 70+ Genesis devices/Lazarus Pits and a command that borders the fine line between immorality/incompetence, with a Klingon threat looming large and Romulus no longer being held in check by Vulcan. There are a lot of different directions to take the franchise.

I also get what you're saying about the Dreadnought/Scimitar, but I like big ships like I like big robots. They're just cool. :smt102

Except when done by Michael Bay.

The warp fighting capability was interesting.


I don't know, I think the split timeline caused more problems than it solved. It really made the first film have way too many uber convenient plot progressions. Glad you liked it though.

That way I can hate you too.

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72472
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 881 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray


Online


Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Thread (Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I was a bit amazed at watching the show evolve from day one. Hard to see unless in a marathon. Character development too.


It was the most boring, bland show (until Coto took over). You must be smoking your own kitty litter.

False Prophet wrote:
The last 1.5 seasons were very good. But before that it seemed pretty bland, and I've never liked Archer. But then again, I've never loved Kirk as a captain, pre or post reboot.

Eh, I might marathon ST:E if it's on Netflix.


DON'T DO IT

(unless you just marathon the last season and skip the final episode)

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Advertisement