Advertisement

Rank 'Em: DC's Most Powerful Heroes (Supes is #1)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Rank 'Em: DC's Most Powerful Heroes (Supes is #1)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Yes, I know, I shouldn't care about this stuff as I advance into middle age. I know characters are as powerful as the story needs them to be, and I know that any character can have their ass handed to them by some writer's Mary Sue.

But at the same time, I wouldn't read these things if I didn't care, or never cared, at least a little. I don't want to live in a world where kids never can understand that Superman is clearly stronger than the Hulk and can't educate neanderthals who don't understand that. :-D :-D

But after reading a few DC books of late, I find myself wondering, as I sometimes do, just how I rank the most powerful heroes. So, as I tend to do, I turn to my fellow Outhouse residents for some feedback.

If you choose to participate, as always, I appreciate it. One rule I prefer: No duplicate characters like Supergirl or Mary Marvel, magic users, and none of the Earth-2 guys. Not because I don't like Doctor Fate or Alan Scott, because I absolutely do, but if you take a look at their DC Database pages...Good Lord. They just gave characters whatever the hell powers they wanted to, back in the day. I'm surprised Doctor Fate couldn't create a multiverse by himself.

But here's my current list...by all means, list as many as you'd like, but if you could do at least five so I get a feel for how you approach it, again, I'd appreciate it.

1. Superman
2. Martian Manhunter
3. Captain Atom
4. Captain Marvel
5. Wonder Woman
6. Firestorm (if he still has intangibility)
7. Flash
8. Green Lantern (Jordan)
9. Aquaman (don't laugh, DC finally got him figured out)

Yes, I get it. This is the pinnacle of nerdism. Whatever! I refuse to grow old, grow up, and never think about this kind of stuff.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Rank 'Em: DC's Most Powerful Heroes (Supes is #1)

Postby Amoebas » Sat May 25, 2013 4:32 pm

The correct answer is Spectre (but he can't play in your reindeer games (neither can Sodam Yat or Mon-El)) so...

01) Superman
02) J'Onn J'Onzz
03) Wonder Woman
04) Element Lad
05) Orion
06) Captain Marvel
07) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
08) Captain Atom
09) Flash
10) Firestorm

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm

I won't rate Elseworlds universe characters like the DCnU, so here is the DCU rating:

1. Dr. Light
(She wields electromagnetism, one of the 4 Fundamental Forces of the Universe; I can elucidate further, if you want! :twisted:)
2. The Ray
(Ray Terrill; same as Dr. Light, but lacks the scientific know-how to do everything.)
3. Martian Manhunter
4. Superman
5. Captain Atom
6. Captain Marvel
7. Wonder Woman
8. Green Lantern (Any; they all have the same power.)
9. Orion
10. Damage
(Grant is another vastly underrated character. He has the DNA of the original post-Crisis JLA and JSA, and has shown the potential to manifest their powers on top of the super-strength and explosion powers he already has.)

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Amoebas wrote:The correct answer is Spectre (but he can't play in your reindeer games (neither can Sodam Yat or Mon-El)) so...

01) Superman
02) J'Onn J'Onzz
03) Wonder Woman
04) Element Lad
05) Orion
06) Captain Marvel
07) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
08) Captain Atom
09) Flash
10) Firestorm

Ha! I'm with you, Big Man! I love Old School Spectre, but correct, he's not really a player in this type of listing. Sodam Yat's awesome, true, as is Mon-El, but yes, Daxamites are derivatives of Kryptonians, who we all know are simply not to be denied.

You really think Hal Jordan can take Captain Atom, huh? That's interesting.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Herald wrote:I won't rate Elseworlds universe characters like the DCnU, so here is the DCU rating:

1. Dr. Light
(She wields electromagnetism, one of the 4 Fundamental Forces of the Universe; I can elucidate further, if you want! :twisted:)
2. The Ray
(Ray Terrill; same as Dr. Light, but lacks the scientific know-how to do everything.)
3. Martian Manhunter
4. Superman
5. Captain Atom
6. Captain Marvel
7. Wonder Woman
8. Green Lantern (Any; they all have the same power.)
9. Orion
10. Damage
(Grant is another vastly underrated character. He has the DNA of the original post-Crisis JLA and JSA, and has shown the potential to manifest their powers on top of the super-strength and explosion powers he already has.)

Oh, Herald. You know that while the DCNu sparked me thinking about it lately, we're absolutely talking DCU -- I promise that you'll NEVER see me refer to Captain Marvel as ANYTHING other than that name, and my mind can't even wrap around what the hell Geoff Johns is doing.

You don't buy into the "Greatest Green Lantern of Them All" deal? The reason I said Hal Jordan (and I'm guessing Amoebas, too) is that it's long been established that the more willpower you have, the more powerful your constructs are. Are you thinking that any higher-level GL is roughly the same as Jordan, then?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat May 25, 2013 5:17 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! I'm with you, Big Man! I love Old School Spectre, but correct, he's not really a player in this type of listing. Sodam Yat's awesome, true, as is Mon-El, but yes, Daxamites are derivatives of Kryptonians, who we all know are simply not to be denied.

You really think Hal Jordan can take Captain Atom, huh? That's interesting.

I have Nate lower because for him to really open up his power causes him to lose control and become time displaced - sometimes he doesn't even know if he wins or loses until he eventually gets back to his home time.

Personally I think you have Captain Atom to high on your list. I know it's just my nostalgia talking to me but to have any human ahead of Captain 'Earth's Mightiest Mortal' Marvel just feels wrong.

TheLurker
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 160 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Where would Black Adam rank? I know he has usually been depicted as a villian (rightly so), but he has also been shown to be a hero. If he were included, I would have to rank him near the top. His magic based powers mean that he could take out Superman. And if Johns were writing the story, Adam would also defeat Captain Marvel.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat May 25, 2013 5:20 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:The reason I said Hal Jordan (and I'm guessing Amoebas, too) is that it's long been established that the more willpower you have, the more powerful your constructs are. Are you thinking that any higher-level GL is roughly the same as Jordan, then?

In strictest terms, I suppose Mogo is more powerful, but in general, Hal's will does set him above the rest.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat May 25, 2013 5:21 pm

TheLurker wrote:Where would Black Adam rank? I know he has usually been depicted as a villian (rightly so), but he has also been shown to be a hero. If he were included, I would have to rank him near the top. His magic based powers mean that he could take out Superman. And if Johns were writing the story, Adam would also defeat Captain Marvel.

A moot question as Black Adam falls under ESJ's 'clones not allowed' rule.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Amoebas wrote:I have Nate lower because for him to really open up his power causes him to lose control and become time displaced - sometimes he doesn't even know if he wins or loses until he eventually gets back to his home time.

Personally I think you have Captain Atom to high on your list. I know it's just my nostalgia talking to me but to have any human ahead of Captain 'Earth's Mightiest Mortal' Marvel just feels wrong.

See, I've seen it enough where Nate's Quantum Field control allows him to shut down all energy-based reactions and energy-based challengers -- though I do admit magic has been beyond his ability in the past.

To be honest, I usually have Captain Atom at the top of the list, for that very reason -- but now that DC's letting the Manhunter use his mental powers more effectively, then really, that's all she wrote. I always want to rank Superman first though, because there's no reason why he shouldn't be -- with his superspeed and ability to think at superfast speeds, there's never a reason he shouldn't be punishing any and all comers.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Amoebas wrote:A moot question as Black Adam falls under ESJ's 'clones not allowed' rule.

It's a good rule! Otherwise we'd have all the Marvels, Wonder Women and Kryptonians! :-D

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat May 25, 2013 5:28 pm

TheLurker wrote:Where would Black Adam rank? I know he has usually been depicted as a villian (rightly so), but he has also been shown to be a hero. If he were included, I would have to rank him near the top. His magic based powers mean that he could take out Superman. And if Johns were writing the story, Adam would also defeat Captain Marvel.

Black Adam committed genocide. He freaking killed a country. I can't EVER see that guy as a hero. But yes, if we were ranking, he'd certainly be near the top -- though it was story-based, Black Adam put the Manhunter on his ass in World War III.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Sat May 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Amoebas wrote:I have Nate lower because for him to really open up his power causes him to lose control and become time displaced

That's why I don't have him up with Dr. Light and the Ray.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Oh, Herald. You know that while the DCNu sparked me thinking about it lately, we're absolutely talking DCU -- I promise that you'll NEVER see me refer to Captain Marvel as ANYTHING other than that name, and my mind can't even wrap around what the hell Geoff Johns is doing.

:-D

You don't buy into the "Greatest Green Lantern of Them All" deal? The reason I said Hal Jordan (and I'm guessing Amoebas, too) is that it's long been established that the more willpower you have, the more powerful your constructs are. Are you thinking that any higher-level GL is roughly the same as Jordan, then?

I think Hal's largely overrated, especially when written by Geoff Johns. I've seen characters like Lobo break Hal's constructs as easily as they would any other GL's. Also, I've recently been reading PAD's Lantern stories in Action Comics Weekly, and they heavily indicate that the ring gave Hal that willpower in the first place. :twisted:

TheLurker
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 160 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Sat May 25, 2013 6:07 pm

This whole list is voided if you give Batman two weeks to prepare. :twisted:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand