Advertisement

Superfun Hickman Avenger Books Thread! (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Superfun Hickman Avenger Books Thread! (Spoilers)

Postby Keb » Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 am

Not feeling the purp? :P

Progression feels kinda slow heading into infinity but I guess that's to be expected.

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 am

Keb wrote:That's pretty much how Hickman rolls. Are you familiar with his Fantastic Four or Secret Warriors?

No, only thing of his I read before this was Ultimates (I think that was him) which came off like someone trying to write like Warren Ellis/Millar and coming up short.

I'm all for letting things play out, but he needs to start bringing the story together. I have no idea what is going on with all the stuff on mars, the various worlds, etc. You can't just start stories and never finish them.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 23, 2013 11:13 am

xaraan wrote:

No, only thing of his I read before this was Ultimates (I think that was him) which came off like someone trying to write like Warren Ellis/Millar and coming up short.

I'm all for letting things play out, but he needs to start bringing the story together. I have no idea what is going on with all the stuff on mars, the various worlds, etc. You can't just start stories and never finish them.

Haven't read his Ultimates stuff yet but I plan to on Unlimited once I finish Secret Warriors.

Judging by his F4/FF work, he definitely paces things out in a slow progression. The build up to F4/FF was seriously worth it though, but I read it in trade (and I'm still wairing for the last one) in one weekend so I don't know how it read monthly. Others here seemed to love it. I'm half way through Secret Warriors now and its more or less the same.

I think everything will start to come together by the end of Infinity and into the late 20s and 30s. Its a biweekly release schedule so I expect a lot of early story to be building blocks to the bigger picture.

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 925 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 pm

I started out with Avengers on my pull list and New Avengers I was just going to pick up a few issues to see if I liked it. I had little interest in the New Avengers team and was confident I would like the Avengers. After ten issues of the Avengers I'm on the verge of dropping it. New Avengers on the other hand has been excellent, and added to my pull list.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

OK shit's starting to get real with NA #6.

Adding Doom to the mix was awesome, I'm really looking forward to where Hickman is going with this.

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Zechs should be showing up any time now.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 4:25 pm

habitual wrote:OK shit's starting to get real with NA #6.

Adding Doom to the mix was awesome, I'm really looking forward to where Hickman is going with this.

Hab

Who will bang Black Swan first? Stark, Namor or T'challa? Or will Black Bolt wife that shit and add her to his stable of crazy bitches?

I liked issue 6. Made up for the lack of anything happening in 5. This is all building slowly though. Looking forward to Panther and Namor throwing down next issue.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 pm

At the behest of Keb, I'll add my 2 cents here:

I found New Avengers 6 to be largely incoherent after 5 pretty solid issues.

My main beefs:
1) Why was Black Panther so devastated by destroying a world if Hickman spent an entire issue establishing how dead and devoid-of-life it was?
2) I feel like there could have been a more eloquent way to set-up the red/blue differences instead of making for a comic in which the entirety of a moral dilemma is explained to us and then a (as previously mentioned) consequence-free decision is made. If hints about the red/blue difference were seeded in previous issues and I missed it, by all means, please tell me.
3) Did Black Panther's detonation of the planet cause the death of all of the raiders Doom and Kristoff were fighting? If so, then I could imagine his moral struggle, but I don't think that connection was ever mentioned to the point where he'd be cognizant of it. If Doom and Kristoff simply killed them, I have no clue what Black Panther was bitching about.

I do like the idea of Doom having knowledge of the Illuminati now, especially if it means he will demand his way into the group.

This just has me very worried for Infinity.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Keb wrote:Haven't read his Ultimates stuff yet but I plan to on Unlimited once I finish Secret Warriors.

Judging by his F4/FF work, he definitely paces things out in a slow progression. The build up to F4/FF was seriously worth it though, but I read it in trade (and I'm still wairing for the last one) in one weekend so I don't know how it read monthly. Others here seemed to love it. I'm half way through Secret Warriors now and its more or less the same.

I think everything will start to come together by the end of Infinity and into the late 20s and 30s. Its a biweekly release schedule so I expect a lot of early story to be building blocks to the bigger picture.

I don't think anything in F4 really paid off until it became FF, he really slow rolls reveals but the build up is always worth reading itself. It's paced more like a novel than a monthly series, but I think he's managing to tell shorter stories that build up to a larger one much better on the Avengers books than he did in F4.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

I really liked the fact that Doom was added to the mix in the newest issue of New Avengers. His presence is a great way to foreshadow what the Illuminati has done and will do in the future. They call themselves heroes and Doom a villain but at the end of the day they really just imposing their desires upon somebody else because they think its the right thing to do. Plus, Namor being a dick about it is great. He is the only one being honest with himself and the rest of the group.

Keb wrote:Who will bang Black Swan first? Stark, Namor or T'challa? Or will Black Bolt wife that shit and add her to his stable of crazy bitches?

No way man, Black Swan is going to become to Reed Richards what Namor is to Sue Storm. :twisted:
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Grayson wrote:I really liked the fact that Doom was added to the mix in the newest issue of New Avengers. His presence is a great way to foreshadow what the Illuminati has done and will do in the future. They call themselves heroes and Doom a villain but at the end of the day they really just imposing their desires upon somebody else because they think its the right thing to do. Plus, Namor being a dick about it is great. He is the only one being honest with himself and the rest of the group.

No way man, Black Swan is going to become to Reed Richards what Namor is to Sue Storm. :twisted:

I was kind of thinking of that too. Though there might be some Black Swan mind manipulation involved there too.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 30, 2013 3:20 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:At the behest of Keb, I'll add my 2 cents here:

I found New Avengers 6 to be largely incoherent after 5 pretty solid issues.

My main beefs:
1) Why was Black Panther so devastated by destroying a world if Hickman spent an entire issue establishing how dead and devoid-of-life it was?
2) I feel like there could have been a more eloquent way to set-up the red/blue differences instead of making for a comic in which the entirety of a moral dilemma is explained to us and then a (as previously mentioned) consequence-free decision is made. If hints about the red/blue difference were seeded in previous issues and I missed it, by all means, please tell me.
3) Did Black Panther's detonation of the planet cause the death of all of the raiders Doom and Kristoff were fighting? If so, then I could imagine his moral struggle, but I don't think that connection was ever mentioned to the point where he'd be cognizant of it. If Doom and Kristoff simply killed them, I have no clue what Black Panther was bitching about.

I do like the idea of Doom having knowledge of the Illuminati now, especially if it means he will demand his way into the group.

This just has me very worried for Infinity.

It's the Oppenheimer "I have become death, ravager of worlds" there's no turning back thing. Also known as the Don Henley "Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" moment.

- Sons of the Desert

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Grayson wrote:I really liked the fact that Doom was added to the mix in the newest issue of New Avengers. His presence is a great way to foreshadow what the Illuminati has done and will do in the future. They call themselves heroes and Doom a villain but at the end of the day they really just imposing their desires upon somebody else because they think its the right thing to do. Plus, Namor being a dick about it is great. He is the only one being honest with himself and the rest of the group.

So Namor for a revenge fuck?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 30, 2013 3:37 pm

So Namor for a revenge fuck?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It's the Oppenheimer "I have become death, ravager of worlds" there's no turning back thing. Also known as the Don Henley "Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac" moment.

Also, if avengers and new avengers bleed together, the earth is possibly a living thing, so killing it is taking a life.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand