Advertisement

AOU #10AI Preview Teases "A Whole New World" - WHHAAAT ? !

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 327 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: AOU #10AI Preview Teases "A Whole New World" - WHHAAAT

Postby e_galston » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Grayson wrote:
DC has a long history of taking characters from other companies and introducing them into their main universe. I am sure that at least part of the logic behind integrating Angela into the Marvel Universe is an attempt to recreate that on some level. Unfortunately, we're not talking about a character like Captain Marvel who at one time maintained a comic series that outsold Superman or characters like the Charlton Characters who were part of a company that was going bankrupt and were acquired a DC. We're talking about one character who was created to suit a purpose for a certain character and to exist within a certain universe. Bringing her in to another comic universe doesn't make any sense. They are going to have to completely change the character and they have already had to redesign her.

At the end of the day, they should/could have created an entirely new character. From a business standpoint, there is nothing to gain from adding this character to the Marvel Universe. This isn't a character that has a large, built-in fan base. When the final issue of Age of Ultron is released, you won't see flocks of comic fans lined up outside of comic stores waiting to buy this issue. I'm sure that the powers that be at Marvel will enjoy the idea that they are "sticking it" to Todd McFarlane but that's as far as this will go in terms of "benefits" to the company.

from a business standpoint there are gaining something from the character in the MU... Neil Gaiman is now writing for them again, which makes the whole Marvelman/Miracleman problems potentially easier to over come.

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 406 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Juan Cena wrote:Actually, the "Whole new world" refers to these characters first appearance in the Marvel Universe.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

I can't see the image but can guess from the url when quoting. Looks like the disney/marvel is starting to bear fruit

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 628 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 pm

e_galston wrote:from a business standpoint there are gaining something from the character in the MU... Neil Gaiman is now writing for them again, which makes the whole Marvelman/Miracleman problems potentially easier to over come.

True but that has very little to do with Angela. Sure, Gaiman co-created her with Todd McFarlane for the Spawn comic but that doesn't mean that he has to bring her along just because he is going to be writing for Marvel again. For the life of me I can't believe that there was some meeting between the powers that be at Marvel and Neil Gaiman where they asked me what it would take to get him to write for Marvel again and help them use Marvelman/Miracleman, only for Gaiman to respond that the only way he would do that, is if they would agree to allow him to bring Angela along with him.
ImageImageImage

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
If it turns out to involve Neil Gaiman writing an Angela story, a lot of people might care.

Seen a lot of "Dear Gawd, WHY can't we get another Angela story out of Neil Gaiman" over the last 15 years, have you?

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 327 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Grayson wrote:
True but that has very little to do with Angela. Sure, Gaiman co-created her with Todd McFarlane for the Spawn comic but that doesn't mean that he has to bring her along just because he is going to be writing for Marvel again. For the life of me I can't believe that there was some meeting between the powers that be at Marvel and Neil Gaiman where they asked me what it would take to get him to write for Marvel again and help them use Marvelman/Miracleman, only for Gaiman to respond that the only way he would do that, is if they would agree to allow him to bring Angela along with him.

it could have played a part, i mean since he got full rights he's not done anything with the character, marvel may have asked about writing and he might of said hey you guys could use this character i have created that i'm not making any money off of currently.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 628 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm

e_galston wrote:it could have played a part, i mean since he got full rights he's not done anything with the character, marvel may have asked about writing and he might of said hey you guys could use this character i have created that i'm not making any money off of currently.

It's possible but the whole thing just reeks of doing something purely because they want to piss somebody else off, namely Todd McFarlane. In order to integrate this character into the Marvel Universe she is being gutted, rebranded, and repackaged so that at the end of the day she only shares a passing resemblance to the original character. It just seems like Marvel and Gaiman went through a lot of trouble for a character that very few people have any interest in when they could have simply created a new character.

To paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcolm, "Marvel was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think of they should."

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 389 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 pm

draco x wrote:
This right here. Plus as I said, the idea of making Hank Pym's dead mother into some female angel who looks like a stripper is just creepy all over. I can't really imagine Hank wanting to bring his mother to the Avengers mansion to meet his friends as I am pretty sure he would have to worry about Tony or Logan making a pass at her if this was the case.

Or Clint "Manwhore" Barton.

Or Thor, since they travel in the same circles.

Or Matt "Bigger Manwhore" Murdock.

Is she going to be the Avengers' doorknob? Is THAT (along with seeing him dead mom come back as an angelic stripper MILF) what makes Pym something something?

Go crazy? Don't mind if I do!

Juan Cena wrote:Actually, the "Whole new world" refers to these characters first appearance in the Marvel Universe.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

She could be Genie, too, I suppose.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 pm

sdsichero wrote:I can't see the image but can guess from the url when quoting. Looks like the disney/marvel is starting to bear fruit

Try now.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 pm

e_galston wrote:
from a business standpoint there are gaining something from the character in the MU... Neil Gaiman is now writing for them again, which makes the whole Marvelman/Miracleman problems potentially easier to over come.

Then again, maybe not.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/28/so-who-owns-marvelman-anyway/

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand