Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 pm

X-Men: Fall of the Mutants vols 1 & 2

This was crazy long to read. I liked the X-Men stuff the best but was surprised that I liked the New Mutants as much as I did. I was bored as fuck with the X-Factor stuff even though it was a classic story. The tie-ins were boring, especially the Daredevil issue which felt like a bad Dark Knight Returns rip off. Even though the event was only 3 issues a piece, they included 6 or so issues from each series so it was nice to be more caught up than to just have to jump into the three-issue event.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 28, 2013 11:17 pm

The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman

Didn't dig this at first. I thought it was a bit over exaggerated and trying to be clever. Once I got past the second chapter it got way better. Still don't love Hickman's art but thought he did a beret job here than Pax Romana. I can actually relate to much of what this series is about as I've meet my fair share of characters like those in the story (minus the sociopaths). I really enjoyed the notes at the end. This will be interesting to reread now that I know how it ends. This is why I love comics. Glad I gave this a shot.

A Red Mass for Mars by Jonathan Hickman & Ryan Bodenheim

This reads like a Superman Elseworlds pitch that never was. Mars is cool and all but this was short. I wanted more and even the end was a bit of a letdown. Most if not all of the characters read like DC characters, but my fav was the black eyed guy. Everyone else is more or less a generic superhero archetype but it works in the story. I read this in like 20 minutes so it was an easy read. Not a lot of big scary science or strange thinking concepts here, so it probably is my least favorite of Hickman's work. The relationship between Mars and his son was similar to Ares and Phobos in Secret Warriors, which was kinda cool.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:P.S. to Keb, because I know he reads this thread too.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mark- ... sing-doors

It's a friends' campaign to republish to great looking book by Mark Rudolf about the waning days of record stores. You might dig it. Mark's very talented, also a nice person. It's getting pretty close to making its goal, I have a feeling it will go forward in some capacity at this point.

Looks interesting. Why is overseas shipping so expensive? Does that include Canada? That's my biggest detractor right now on that one.

You're friends with Ken Eppstein?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 am

Keb wrote:Looks interesting. Why is overseas shipping so expensive? Does that include Canada? That's my biggest detractor right now on that one.

You're friends with Ken Eppstein?

If by "friends" you mean I've known him since he was in short pants.

And if by "in short pants" you mean staggering around drunk in his boxers and combat boots.

Then yes.

Mark Rudolf I've met a couple times and hung out with briefly, enough to say he's a good guy and a talented one.

What is he charging for overseas, there's no differential for First Class to CA?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 am

$10 extra for overseas. If it was an extra $5 for Canada, that'd be fine but $25 is a bit pricey right now considering how tight my budget is. The fact that no one is sending me work does not help.

Do I dare ask why you and Ken are parading around in boxers and combat boots?

I've tweeted back and forth with him at least once. Maybe twice. Nice guy.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed May 29, 2013 9:16 am

The Authority Vol. 1
Its ok, I feel that I would like it better if I had read it when it came out
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 am

Keb wrote:$10 extra for overseas. If it was an extra $5 for Canada, that'd be fine but $25 is a bit pricey right now considering how tight my budget is. The fact that no one is sending me work does not help.

Do I dare ask why you and Ken are parading around in boxers and combat boots?

I've tweeted back and forth with him at least once. Maybe twice. Nice guy.

It was college. And I said "he" did, I was usually much more composed.

Except that one time in that dress with the machete..

Unfortunately for buyers around the world, we entered into a new era of pricing in 2013. In many cases, doubling First Class or Priority rates.

Now, sending a 1 lb envelope First class, still your cheapest option, runs $10.95.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 9:34 am

:shock:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 am

In my defense...it may have seemed like a harsh critique at the time, but the truth is some self-portraits do deserve to be hacked to bits with a machete.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

No one is judging you. This is a judgment-free zone. If you were to say, go over there, people might judge you.

Besides, this isn't the first time an Outhouser has put on a dress and brandished weaponry of any sort.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby misac » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Grayson wrote:

Young Avengers Vol. 1: Sidekicks - Got my hands on a copy of the first hardcover of Young Avengers last night. I remember liking it when I first read it but honestly, I had forgotten how much I liked it. Heinberg really did a great job creating interesting new characters for the Marvel Universe, especially Kate Bishop, who easily steals the spotlight in this book. Even though Iron Lad was only around for the first six issues of this series and the Children's Crusade mini, it's hard to think about Kang the Conqueror anymore without thinking about Iron Lad as well. With Kang playing such an important part in Uncanny Avengers, I would if we will hear anymore from Iron Lad as well.

Cheung art's is gorgeous as always. Too bad he doesn't work faster because I would love to see him working on a high profile, on-going series like Uncanny Avengers.

Kind of let down with the second series. But I'm glad they're finally using the characters instead of waiting for this guy to make time to write.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:I just finished reading "The Bean: Riddles and Shrooms" by Thomas Hanson. I met him at Phoenix Comicon yesterday. He was a real nice guy, and a pretty awesome artist. "The Bean" reminds me a lot of Jeff Smith's "Bone", which is awesome since "Bone" is one of my favorite graphic novel series of all time.

I also picked up a few other trade while at the con. "Criminal Macabre: No Peace for Dead Men", "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: The Jungle Book Vol. 1" and "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Robyn Hood Vol 1". I got to meet Christopher Mitten the artist of "Criminal Macabre", as well as both the artist and writer of "Robyn Hood". All were really nice guys.

As an unrelated note, I would like to say that Mike Mignola, the creator of Hellboy was kind of a jerk. I don't know if he just has a big head or something, but he came across as extremely arrogant. I could have got an autographed print by him, but I decided not to just because of his attitude. Kind of a shame because I like Hellboy a lot.

Phoenix Comic Con?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Avengers Academy: Second Semester – Really like the addition of all the new students but kind of bummed they’re just used as secondary characters. Love Giant Man in this.

Didn’t much like the Runaways crossover at the end. Just so sick of bratty teenagers. Did like the resolution though.

Art was good throughout. Like Sean Chen more and more. Grumment was pretty good but he’s lousy at drawing hair.

Journey Into Mystery: Fear Itself – This was so good! Much better than the main FI series. I like how Loki is riding the fence between good and bad. He seems to be leaning more to the good but I don’t completely trust him with him making deals/conning the shadiest of shady people.

It was a let down that there really isn’t a conclusion to this. Have to read the second volume.

Art was great! Loki looks like a kid and not a short adult or a baby like lots of times comic artists tend to do.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Keb wrote:http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/

I almost went but I always end up saying next year for sure. :P :oops:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand