Advertisement

Review: New Avengers #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri May 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Things are starting to heat for the Illuminati.

The slow burn that has been Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers finally shared with us the reader a little steak instead of more sizzle. The prisoner known as the “Black Swan” is now helping out the Avengers after revealing she can tell when incursions are coming to earth. She accompanies the Avengers to Latervia, the site of the latest incursion. When the team gets there, they find out from Black Swan that this time, the great Rabum-Alal is it responsible for the current destruction of Victor Von Doom's country.

The problem in Latveria is by a group Black Swan calls the “Mapmakers.” These Mapmakers use incursions to harvest life on a earth and use the now dead earth as fuel to destroy the next earth they encounter. These Mapmakers attacking the land of Doom leave the Avengers with one option, to use the bomb they reversed engineered from Black Swan's original incursion device.

The bomb stops these Mapmakers from sucking the life out of this earth but destroys another. After her assistance, Black Swan is put back in her cell. While back in jail, she has a telepathic conversion with another prisoner, the captured herald of Galaktus. From how the conversion goes, it appears the two have just struck up an alliance. The book ends with bomb fragments from the Avengers being found by Dr. Doom.

This book had more meat on it as I stated earlier but my stance on this book has gone from intrigued to kinda confused. Rabum-Alal, this Galaktus esque world/universe destroyer is the main threat but there are these Mapmakers and this new alliance started by Black Swan, this book now has a lot of moving parts. I’m not sure what to be worried or concerned about more. Then add in the fact the Avengers just destroyed an earth with a bomb and Dr. Doom has found the pieces of it.

I don't think the book is all of sudden bad but its throwing a lot out there, and it is becoming hard to digest. A lot of moving pieces to a story isn't a bad thing but the slow burn that was this series exploded like the bomb in the story. All of sudden nothing then BAM! While still confused even after reading it a second time, I think my brain is just taking time to process all this since the series was moving at a slow pace before all this happened.

When my brain catches up, maybe I will better understand all of these actions and what they mean for the New Avengers. Hopefully, issue seven will clear some things up for me and maybe, tell me what the Avengers should worry about the most. I can't say this with 100% certainty but this comic is one of the more sophisticated Marvel books right now and if one enjoys intelligent and serious comic, this series would be perfect for that type of reader.

Written or Contributed by Jim Gramm

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Review: New Avengers #6

Postby habitual » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
You left the whole red vs. blue sky differentiation in terms of what's going on, and that blue means Sidera Maris as opposed to Rabum Alal, and is in fact much worse.

Hab

jgramm
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jgramm » Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 pm

habitual wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
You left the whole red vs. blue sky differentiation in terms of what's going on, and that blue means Sidera Maris as opposed to Rabum Alal, and is in fact much worse.

Hab

I don't the blue/red thing or Sidera Amris but I mention the Mapmakers which are the ones invading. I don't want to completely write the whole issue, just a short summary to set-up my thoughts on it but thanks reading and commenting!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri May 31, 2013 6:45 pm

jgramm wrote:I don't the blue/red thing or Sidera Amris but I mention the Mapmakers which are the ones invading. I don't want to completely write the whole issue, just a short summary to set-up my thoughts on it but thanks reading and commenting!

I think the Mapmakers are supposed to be the foil to the Black Swans. If the Black Swans are Rabum Alal's servants, these guys must serve Sidera Maris.

jgramm
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jgramm » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 pm

Keb wrote:I think the Mapmakers are supposed to be the foil to the Black Swans. If the Black Swans are Rabum Alal's servants, these guys must serve Sidera Maris.

I think you may be on to something Keb

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am

After a mis-step in #5, New Avengers is back to it’s epic, insane best with an issue that takes what was already a huge concept, and throws even more stuff in there. Not content with having the Illuminati save the Marvel Universe by killing other universes, now Hickman has threats from those other universes out there working at cross purposes with our ‘heroes’ (and those quotation marks are necessary in this book). The Mapmakers are a cool new concept, and I’m not sure how much we can really trust Black Swan here. She seems to be waiting to betray the team, so is she telling the truth?

On top of that… DOOM! Yes, Doctor Doom was in this issue and now not only does he know about the Incursions, but he also has a piece of a dead Earth in his possession, which will apparently bring the Mapmakers back. All of this madness is drawn expertly by Steve Epting, who just gets better and better. I also like how strong the character work is by Hickman here, his Namor is hilarious, and the likes of Beast and especially Black Panther get very strong moments in this issue.

You really get the sense that this is destroying the souls of these characters, and you can tell that not only is this book building to something epic in terms of the wider plot, but also when it comes to the characters. What will happen if one of the Illuminati turns on the others? Will they mind-wipe him like they did to Captain America? The cover to #7 shows Black Panther and Namor fighting each other, which should be pretty damn great, not only do you have the events of this book, but there’s also the small fact that Namor destroyed Wakanda in AvX. This title is just fascinating and unique to me, Hickman is playing with such large scale concepts here, it’s either going to fall apart or be amazing in the end. So far, so good.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 342 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm

The fact that Doom is in this book has instantly got me hooked.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand