Advertisement

X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 am

I was initially very sceptical about this book, I like both Brian Wood and Olivier Coipel a lot, but the concept of an all-female X-Men comic just rubbed me the wrong way and takes me out of the story. There is almost always no compelling in-story reason (unless the villain is like a dick-vampire or can only mind-control men or something stupid like that) for it to be just women in the cast, and it becomes clear that this comic is written chiefly to play to a certain segment of comics fandom. And before you say it, I’d think the same thing about an all-male team book (even though there are no all-male teams, the closest I can think of is the Challengers Of The Unknown, and even they have June Robbins and the original Defenders, who are of course a non-team bound together by magic).

I just think that true diversity comes from people of different genders and races and sexualities and whatever mixing together and working together, not putting the women in a separate book.

But whatever, the X-Men have some of the best female characters in comics, and most of them are featured in this book, which is both well-written and well-drawn, so we’ll leave the sociology aside for now. The focus of this first issue is Jubilee, who last I heard was a Vampire, but whatever, she’s back here and for some reason she’s on the run with a baby. The X-Men come to her aid (and like I said, there’s no reason why no male X-Men are involved, the all-female cast could actually be a distraction unless they do involve a dick-vampire), and the revelation of who the villain is was hugely pleasing to me.

I love it when X-Men writers go back and pick up on the many tantalising, insane concepts that Grant Morrison left in New X-Men that were immediately dumped when he left, and in this issue Wood has only gone and brought back Sublime! And not just Sublime, but his even-worse sister, Arkea, who was hiding inside of Jubilee’s baby and has now possessed the body of Sentinel Prime, who I vaguely remember from Mike Carey’s run. I guess Arkea could be the reason why this book is ladies only, the opening page is a big spiel about how the male Sublime cast out his sister.

This was a very enjoyable issue, each of the main characters was well-utilised and Wood’s dialogue was very strong indeed. I am a huge fan of Olivier Coipel and his art was just fantastic here too. I think he’s a good choice for this title, because whilst his female characters are attractive, he varies the body types so not everyone is a big-boobed amazon. So yeah, this was a good comic in an X-Men line that is already over-stuffed with goodness. I suppose it makes sense for this book to find someway to differentiate itself from 5 other X-Men titles, but still, it being only women is slightly strange. At least it’s one X-Men book that won’t be dominated by Wolverine! What’s that? He has a female clone? Nooooooooo!

Advertisement

Punchy

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Just thought of another all-male team, the current line-up of New Avengers/The Illuminati, but Black Swan is a big part of that series.

sdsichero
User avatar
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion
 
Posts: 72067
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 808 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: Secret Base, Honolulu, HI
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby sdsichero » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Punchy wrote:the concept of an all-female X-Men comic just rubbed me the wrong way


Keep practicing

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9359
Likes: 1757 posts
Liked in: 432 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 pm

I wish they would call the title X-Women for the amusement factor. It ironically reminds me of that cancelled game in the 90s of the same name coincidentally.

HNutz
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15154
Likes: 5512 posts
Liked in: 861 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby HNutz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:40 pm

It wasn't bad but I didn't think it was the best comic of the week or anything.

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19693
Likes: 398 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 pm

draco x wrote:I wish they would call the title X-Women for the amusement factor. It ironically reminds me of that cancelled game in the 90s of the same name coincidentally.


why should it be called x-women?? for decades all of the characters have been called X-Men, so just because now they are on a squad with no men they can no longer be called X-Men???
Image

guitarsmashley

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 16325
Likes: 283 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

it was ok. I mean It's not as good as the other X books I read.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

chap22

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 21444
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 175 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't know WTF Punchy was reading, but this was anything but well-written. A complete poop sandwich only mildly attempted to be redeemed by Coipel's art. Dropped immediately...what a fucking turd of a book.

Punchy

Happy Pony Day!
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 am

I think a better title than X-Women would have been XX-Men, because women have two X-chromosomes.

But maybe that's too close to a XXX which would attract the wrong sort of audience.

pastajoe
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9927
Likes: 14 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 am


Online


Re: X-Men #1 (OMG Poop? Spoilers)

Postby pastajoe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:10 am

e_galston wrote:why should it be called x-women?? for decades all of the characters have been called X-Men, so just because now they are on a squad with no men they can no longer be called X-Men???


Because there are no men, and for decades women have been arguing that the term 'men' in reference to people should be replaced with 'person'. These are supposedly modern women who you would think would support that change.

They didn't change it because fanboys are less likely to buy a book with 'women' in the title, or they don't want to disrupt the numbering continuity.

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

Advertisement