Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1241 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

Keb wrote:Thor God of Thunder vol 1: The God Butcher by Jason Aaron & Esad Ribic

This was just okay. I expect more from Aaron. The whole 3 Thors got a bit confusing at times and the whole God Butcher character seems too one-dimensional. Was not as impressed as I thought I'd be. Bought the HC and it feels weird, like this waxy coating on the cover that makes it feel weird to hold. The good thing is that it comes with the digital edition. Art is good. I hope Ribic is the main artist on this series.

While I have really enjoyed Thor: God of Thunder, I find that I have the same problem with it that I do with the current Captain America series, which is that I find their first arcs to be too long. I'm a little surprised that you didn't like it more but you are absolutely correct about the God Butcher being too one-dimensional. As far as I know Ribic is going to remain on the title as the main artist. He is solicited as the artist through at least the 12th issue and I haven't heard anything about him taking a break or another artist coming on board.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah these arcs are like long term commitments. I was going to start dating but decided to wait because I'm already too committed to Marvel NOW.

I miss the touch of a woman :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I got dumped last week, maybe I should take it up. :-(

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I got dumped last week, maybe I should take it up. :-(

:( sorry

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Keb wrote::( sorry

Let's just say now I see why some women lie about their age..

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 am

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Vol. 6

While this really felt like a big wrap up of all the loose ends, I kind of wish there was more. I loved the issue about Nazi Reed and the Wakanda issues. Even the last issue was cool. Enjoyed this run a lot even though I had to read the last issues on unlimited. I like the way that Hickman set up much of the status quo for his Avengers work.

FF vol. 4

This was even sadder. I will miss the moloid kids. Thought the issue with Wizard and Bentley-23 was the best and the end of this was even better than the end of F4.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 am

Keb wrote:Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Vol. 6

While this really felt like a big wrap up of all the loose ends, I kind of wish there was more. I loved the issue about Nazi Reed and the Wakanda issues. Even the last issue was cool. Enjoyed this run a lot even though I had to read the last issues on unlimited. I like the way that Hickman set up much of the status quo for his Avengers work.

FF vol. 4

This was even sadder. I will miss the moloid kids. Thought the issue with Wizard and Bentley-23 was the best and the end of this was even better than the end of F4.

Glad you enjoyed them all, I really liked the long life of Ben Grimm issue too.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:00 am

Zero wrote:
Glad you enjoyed them all, I really liked the long life of Ben Grimm issue too.

I actually pulled out a calculator to see how old he was when he died. I was also upset when he lamented the hamburger.
Last edited by Keb on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 215 posts

Postby misac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Keb wrote:They released Marvel NOW F4/FF in one trade together, right?

Yeah, it messed me up when I was ordering the second/first volume of FF. :P

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm

FF by Hickman v.3 – Enjoyed this but I think it would have been a better experience to read it side by side with Fantastic Four. Oh well.

The kids make this super fun, I really like Bentley trying to be a bad boy. But while reading this it didn’t feel like a real win for the Fantastic Four/FF. It’s more of a win for Grampa Richards, they were just his pawns. And if you can get past that, there’s still the fact they were using knowledge from the future and it was kind of cheating. :smt102

Art was good, highlight was Nick Dragotta. I just got another trade with his art, I don’t remember what at the moment, but it looked like the best work of his I’ve seen. Juan Bobillo on the other hand is real hit and miss. I like how he adds his own touches to the character designs but sometimes the way he draws people is really off. Like Valeria could look like a toddler, doll, or a monster at any given time. And he drew faces on the Celestials. I liked his Dragon Man and his crazy beard Reed was super cool.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ongoing v.1 – This was really good too but I kept expecting their antics from the cartoon. Yet another origin story, it’s essentially the same with a few tweaks. I liked it, Splinter is pretty awesome before the transformation. He’s also a little more like in the cartoon, still training the guys which is a small thing I really like.

Art was great! Major part of why I liked it so much. It’s not a big deal buy I hope they get their own color masks eventually.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 119 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 pm

misac wrote:
I just got FF v.4 yesterday. I'm annoyed they released the first Fraction trade before the last Hickman one.

Seems like someone made a mistake in the tpb department...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Arion wrote:
Seems like someone made a mistake in the tpb department...

Nah they released the less hyped Marvel NOW series direct to paperback where's they bigger hyped titles got the premiere hardcover treatment.

Thor, hulk, avengers, those titles will come out in premiere hardcover and then six months later in paperback. Thunderbolts, fearless defenders, Deadpool, etc will be in paperback first.

With F4/FF they combined the first 3 issues of each series into the first volume of Fantastic Four.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

misac wrote:
I almost went but I always end up saying next year for sure. :P :oops:

This year was actually my first year going. It was definitely worth it. If you live in AZ I seriously recommend you check it out next year for sure. I only went one of the four days, and I can guarantee that there was a ton of stuff that I didn't get to see.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Reread Wolverine & the X-Men last two nights. Man I hate the students at the school. With the exception of Broo, they all suck. Glad they canned Kid Gladiator. Not really liking this new Hellfire Club either. I might stop getting these trades if Vol5 is no good.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Keb wrote:Nah they released the less hyped Marvel NOW series direct to paperback where's they bigger hyped titles got the premiere hardcover treatment.

Thor, hulk, avengers, those titles will come out in premiere hardcover and then six months later in paperback. Thunderbolts, fearless defenders, Deadpool, etc will be in paperback first.

With F4/FF they combined the first 3 issues of each series into the first volume of Fantastic Four.

It's weired that Hawkeye didn't get a hardcover.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand