Friday, December 9, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Magneto was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm

this is issue was terrible. I mean it's execution, it was really bad. Lots of chatting in circles about not much and really this book has been completely terrible, paced, drawn, executed. I didn't check out any of the tie ins but they must have done something to fill in all the off screen stuff right?
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:03 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:this is issue was terrible. I mean it's execution, it was really bad. Lots of chatting in circles about not much and really this book has been completely terrible, paced, drawn, executed. I didn't check out any of the tie ins but they must have done something to fill in all the off screen stuff right?


OK. I won't try to change your mind. You didn't like it. That's your right.

But my only observation is this: I'm one of those people who is baffled about what, exactly, anyone would do with a character like Ultron.

Before Bendis ever got to him, it was established that his body is made of Adamantium. His consciousness can be downloaded anywhere. He continues to evolve and learn from every defeat. His goal is to eradicate mankind.

OK. With that premise, I see it this way: You can't punch your way out of this problem. You can't execute an "Assault on Fort Ultron" every single time you see Ultron and pull another victory out of your arse, with no hero ever getting killed.

So, from my point of view, you have two options: You either don't use the character, which is fine by me, or you show the character doing what he was meant to do, show the consequences of that, and then make it so that dystopian future doesn't happen.

Again, I'm not trying to change your mind, or anyone's mind. I'm merely saying that I honestly don't understand what kind of story would make any more sense than what we're reading here, because, point blank: Ultron as we knew it was unbeatable.
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what was going on with Wolverine and how exactly he'd kill the other version of himself.

Hab
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm

I love the fact that Wolverine has had time to change his outfit at least twice in this event. At the beginning of the event he is just wearing a new costume and then during this issue he simply changes his costume because it has a few rips and tears in it. He may be a horrible person who ruthlessly murders men, women, and children but he'll be damned if he'll let you catch him in anything but the finest clothing. :lol:

Ok, seriously, I don't really know exactly what I think about this issue yet. If it were earlier in the event, I probably would be a little more excited about it but being the penultimate chapter of an already lackluster event doesn't help. Honestly, I did enjoy the perspective that alternate Tony gave Wolverine about Time Travel. I suspect that the 616 universe version of Tony may have had a different take on things, especially over in New Avengers.

So here we are, with one final issue of Age of Ultron left and a lot of ground to cover. We know that the introduction of Angela will occur next issue :roll: , obviously the Marvel Universe has to return to normal, and whatever is so top secret that Joe Quesada himself has to draw it. As bad as the rest of this event has been, I just don't have a lot of faith that this last issue will be any different or change my perspective on the event as a whole but I suppose we'll see.

As it stands right now, Age of Ultron has definitely been my least favorite event during the Age of Bendis.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:01 pm

yeah, i'm sorry ESF, but this is just hogshit. I really don't know how else to put it. :lol:
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, i'm sorry ESF, but this is just hogshit. I really don't know how else to put it. :lol:


Ha! Again, that's your right. Personally, I think any story where Ultron loses and no hero gets killed, ever since he got the Adamantium body, has been every bit as ridiculous.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Ha! Again, that's your right. Personally, I think any story where Ultron loses and no hero gets killed, ever since he got the Adamantium body, has been every bit as ridiculous.


Are people upset about the concept of the story though? Most of the complaints that I have seen about the Age of Ultron have been about the lack of Ulton, the horrible pacing of the story, the morality of the choices that the characters have been making, and/or the price per issue. I don't know that anybody has really been complaining about the concept of a story where Ultron finally wins.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Grayson wrote:
Are people upset about the concept of the story though? Most of the complaints that I have seen about the Age of Ultron have been about the lack of Ulton, the horrible pacing of the story, the morality of the choices that the characters have been making, and/or the price per issue. I don't know that anybody has really been complaining about the concept of a story where Ultron finally wins.


Let me ask this question, then: In World War II, how many people interacted with Hitler? How many people did Hitler actually kill himself? Did you need to see Hitler to know that the world was at war?

I find that argument about Ultron's non-presence to be dubious, given the scope of the threat he truly is.

I also don't find the morality issue to be more than opinion -- truthfully, if I was there and the world was fucked, I would've escorted Wolverine back myself. That's just me. Because the world was fucked. We lost.

I thought it was interesting how Wolverine was made to understand that not only was punching Ultron not a solution, but killing Hank Pym wasn't the answer, either.

Again, I saw plenty of understanding/character development in this series. This series made total sense to me.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:22 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Let me ask this question, then: In World War II, how many people interacted with Hitler? How many people did Hitler actually kill himself? Did you need to see Hitler to know that the world was at war?

I find that argument about Ultron's non-presence to be dubious, given the scope of the threat he truly is.

yeah, but there was no internet back then.

/theinternet'd
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:[
I also don't find the morality issue to be more than opinion -- truthfully, if I was there and the world was fucked, I would've escorted Wolverine back myself. That's just me. Because the world was fucked. We lost.

I thought it was interesting how Wolverine was made to understand that not only was punching Ultron not a solution, but killing Hank Pym wasn't the answer, either.

but here's my thing...it shouldn't have taken them 9 issues to figure this out. right out of the gate, as soon as you figure out you can work the time machine, you should be able to come up with a 100 different ways to not fuck this up without killing Hank. this was just...bad writing, all for the sake of getting a "shocking moment" where Wolvy guts Hank, which is then erased 2 issues later WHICH WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD BE AS IT WAS HAPPENING so it wasn't even shocking.

i'm sorry, but that's a hogshit story.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:31 pm

chap22 wrote:but here's my thing...it shouldn't have taken them 9 issues to figure this out. right out of the gate, as soon as you figure out you can work the time machine, you should be able to come up with a 100 different ways to not fuck this up without killing Hank. this was just...bad writing, all for the sake of getting a "shocking moment" where Wolvy guts Hank, which is then erased 2 issues later WHICH WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD BE AS IT WAS HAPPENING so it wasn't even shocking.

i'm sorry, but that's a hogshit story.


See, I wasn't sure exactly what was going to happen or how, exactly, Hank Pym was going to survive for Avengers A.I.

This is a case where having the internet, as you noted, didn't help at all. You knew from the solicits that Angela is making an appearance. You knew Hank Pym was going to survive. Those two things alone, based on advanced solicits, take whatever dramatic tension that Bendis could've had and tossed it aside. I don't blame him for that, for how the business works now.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Let me ask this question, then: In World War II, how many people interacted with Hitler? How many people did Hitler actually kill himself? Did you need to see Hitler to know that the world was at war?

I find that argument about Ultron's non-presence to be dubious, given the scope of the threat he truly is.


First of all, World War II wasn't named the Age of Hitler. :P

Next, I think I have made it pretty clear that the lack of Ultron isn't my only complaint about this event. I will say that with as bad as it has been, it is a disappointment to me that the title character isn't involved more but once again, that is far from my only problem with the Age of Ultron. I have said it time and time again but the pacing of this series has just been awful. The first 5 issues of the series where horribly decompressed while the last 4 have felt exactly the opposite. Did we really need 5 issues set in the ruins of the regular Marvel Universe? I completely understood that Ultron won within a few panels of the beginning of the first issue. There was no need to stretch it out. Couldn't Bendis have devoted some of that time to doing a better job exploring the world created by Wolverine and the Invisible Woman's choice? Maybe we could have had a better look at the Utopia that Ultron created after he won? It could have been extremely interesting to see that the world is a better place once Ultron wins. Nope, we just get 5 issues of shit like Black Panther falling down stairs and heroes talking about what they have to do instead of just doing it.

Worst of all, nothing about this series feels important. Nothing that is happening feels as though it will have any lasting repercussions to the larger Marvel Universe.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Grayson wrote:Couldn't Bendis have devoted some of that time to doing a better job exploring the world created by Wolverine and the Invisible Woman's choice? Maybe we could have had a better look at the Utopia that Ultron created after he won? It could have been extremely interesting to see that the world is a better place once Ultron wins. ...

Worst of all, nothing about this series feels important. Nothing that is happening feels as though it will have any lasting repercussions to the larger Marvel Universe.


I buy those as complaints; I, too, have said I would've liked to have seen more of the "Starkguard Universe."

Again, I'm not saying that this series is perfect. Clearly, people who have read the same amount of comics I have over the years have problems with it.

But I am saying that I completely get this series, the choices that were made. I reject any notion that there was no character development. I think there were some interesting things introduced, including Tony Starkguard's explanation of how they risk fucking up everything that exists when they travel through time and that Earth isn't bigger than everything else that exists.

Will any of this matter in the future? I think it will. Bendis wrote this. He's still got five time-displaced X-Men in the present. I think there will be ramifications, of some sort.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm

See, I couldn't give a fuck if Ultron is really there or not. Or who or what Ultron is/does. In fact this is the first book I've ever read involving Ultron. My only exposure to Ultron is late 80's, early 90's marvel trading cards and animated movies. So I'm not even approaching the quality of this story from a continuity/ultron history story. I'm coming at this as just a plain old shitty story that is poorly paced, drawn, plotted, executed.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Oh and granted Wolverine erased them from existence but did any of the tie ins cover what happened with Fury and his future Ultron fighting team did or is that issue 10?

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], T.S.S.-72, Yahoo [Bot] and 39 guests