Advertisement

All-New X-Men #12 (Thought I Was Prepared for This Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 635 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

All-New X-Men #12 (Thought I Was Prepared for This Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I never thought that I would find myself complaining that a bi-monthly title took a month off but damn I'm glad that All-New X-Men is back. It's still odd to me that I am enjoying both Bendis written X-Men books but these books have been incredible since he took over.

If you were to go by the cover of this issue, upon opening this book you would suspect to see the young, time-displaced Cyclops get into some type of misunderstanding with his older younger brother Havok. Instead, what we were given in one of the most heart warming scenes in recent Marvel Comics memory. Not only does young Scott realize that his brother Alex is still alive but he also gets to see him as leader of the Avengers while Alex gets to see the younger, idealized version of his brother that he has missed over the years. Bendis and Immonen do a spectacular job delivering this moment between brothers and it makes what is currently happening with the older Scott all the more tragic.

Speaking of the older Scott, the Avengers continue to do their fair share of dragging his name through the mud but of all people, Jean Grey herself innocently points out the hypocrisy behind their judgement. While the other X-Men are confused why a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is standing with the Avengers, Jean barely probes the surface of the Scarlet Witch's mind, causing her to violently lash out when she discovers the truth of the House of M. Wanda attempted to kill the entire mutant race. Rushing to her defense, the Avengers are quick to point out that Wanda was not in her right mind when she caused the decimation of the mutant race...but there in lies the problem. Wanda was not in her right mind but what about Scott? Wanda literally recreates reality twice, killing an untold amount of people in the process, and all she gets is a slap on the wrist. Scott was possessed by a cosmic entity that is worshiped by some alien races as a cosmic deity, turns the world into paradise for everyone except for the people trying to stop him, and kills one man. Now he is a fugitive and a mutant terrorist? It just doesn't add up to me. :smt102

Meanwhile, Mystique, Sabretooth, and Mastermind continue their global crime spree while Sabretoth and Mastermind discuss Mystique's motivations behind it. The question is asked whether Mystique is doing this because she just wants to money or if she has some larger, more grand scheme in mind. It's all very intriguing and now I really want to know exactly what is Mystique up to. However, the more pressing concern is that the trio continue to masquerade their crimes by making people believe that the original 5 X-Men and Wolverine are behind the crimes (in this issue they also use Fin Fang Foom!). So while the Avengers order Wolverine and Kitty to turn around and take the original X-Men back to the X-Mansion, Wolverine decides to take matters into his own hands and take the fight directly to Mystique. Is that really the best course of action? Mystique and Mastermind may hesitate to kill one of the original 5 but Sabretooth will murder the hell out of them without giving it a second thought.

In any case, I am glad that we won't have to wait another month to find out what happens next.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 329 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: All-New X-Men #12 (Thought I Was Prepared for This Spoil

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:25 pm

actually Breevort said the other day that All-New was only bi-monthly until Uncanny launched...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:28 pm

e_galston wrote:actually Breevort said the other day that All-New was only bi-monthly until Uncanny launched...

Oh...that's too bad. :-(

According to my pulllist on Comixology, the next issue is solicited to come out on the 26th though.
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Sounds like a very good story.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 pm

draco x wrote:Sounds like a very good story.

It was. Have you been reading All-New X-Men? The series has been surprisingly good.
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Grayson wrote:
It was. Have you been reading All-New X-Men? The series has been surprisingly good.

When I get the chance to, I do. Been so busy with classes recently though.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm

it is currently my second favorite x-men book only behind Wolverine and the X-men. It's a really fun book and Immomen is knocking it out of the park.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 329 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 pm

really enjoyed this issue.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 am

Cap is an asshole.
Cyke is still right.

I hate yet to read this ish, btw.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:04 am

One of the best things about the OG X-Men being in the present is the huge check-list of character interactions that they can have and that fans have been anticipating. Cyclops meeting his brother Havok is one of them, and Bendis does not disappoint. The cover of this issue teases that the two brothers will fight, but that ends up to not be the case. Instead they hug each other and have a great bonding moment. It was actually quite emotional, Havok really did get to see his brother at his best. I may love the current path that Cyclops is on, but even I have to admit it’s tragic.

But never fear, this issue is not just hugs and feels, since the X-Men are face to face with the Uncanny Avengers, that means the Scarlet Witch is there, which means… No More Mutants! Yes, Jean discovers what Wanda did back in House Of M and understandably freaks the fuck out. I continue to find what Bendis is doing with Jean to be fascinating, she’s by far the most dangerous and powerful member of the team and she keeps on lashing out. I sense bad things in her future, and not just the bad things we know about.

Stuart Immonen is of course fantastic on the art duties here, but did anyone else think the colours looked better than ever with this issue? I can’t remember if Rain Beredo is new or not, but damn, it looked good.

The other plotline Bendis addresses here is Mystique and whatever the hell it is she’s up to. And I’m not the only one questioning that, because Lady Mastermind is too. On the surface it looks like Mystique is just out to steal as much as possible, but there’s obviously more to it, but what? I loved how Mastermind’s choice of illusion this time was Fin Fang Foom, Immonen draws one hell of a Fin Fang Foom. It’s just a shame he doesn’t try and put anyone in his pants. Bendis continues to absolutely own these two X-Men books, each issue features exciting developments and there’s always plenty of funny stuff in the dialogue too. I love it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand