Advertisement

Daredevil: Dark Nights #1 (He does this all the time! Spoile

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Daredevil: Dark Nights #1 (He does this all the time! Spoile

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:54 am

Whilst Mark Waid and Chris Samnee deliver one of the best Daredevil stories ever in the ongoing series, it’s great to see Marvel try and expand the ‘brand’ with a mini-series that showcases 3 different Daredevil stories from top creators. Dave Lapham and Jimmy Palmiotti are yet to come, but for now we’ve got an interesting story from Lee Weeks. I’m a big fan of Weeks’ art, but I’ve never read anything is written, and hell, I don’t know if he’s even written anything else before, so I was initially wary of this series, but it turns out he’s a pretty good writer too.

This story is set during a blizzard, and looks to show Daredevil’s attempts to save a girl from death by getting her in-transit organ to her in time. But it’s not as simple as all that. In the middle of the blizzard, Matt Murdock was mugged, and wakes up initially unaware of where he is or who is really. Weeks does well here to re-establish Daredevil’s unique powers, and how disorienting it can be to hear everything. I also liked how Weeks took time to establish who the transplant organs were coming from, at first the scenes in Philadelphia seemed incongruous, but now it only serves to make the story richer, and add even more stakes to Matt’s mission. Setting a Daredevil story in the snow inevitably draws comparisons to Born Again and that fight with Santa Claus, and whilst Weeks doesn’t outright bring it up, I think there is a bit of a hint in there too. It was cool how Weeks showed the snow fucking up with Daredevil’s ability to traverse the city, he leaps off of a building and immediately slips. This is going to be a tough task.

Weeks’ art is of course fantastic, he’s one of the most underrated artists in comics in my opinion, and this issue looks brilliant, perhaps even better than ever because he’s writing this himself and can pace things exactly how he wants to. The colours from Lee Loughridge are also great. This is hardly an essential mini-series, but if you’re clamouring for more Daredevil (and who wouldn’t be these days?) then this should be right up your alleyway. After Wolverine and Batman, I think that DD is the most elastic (and not elastic like Mr Fantastic or Plastic Man) superhero, he can be used in so many different types of story, and here, Weeks is giving us a different flavour than Waid is, but it’s still Daredevil, it’s still good.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand