Advertisement

Kick-Ass 3 #1 (Freindly neighbourhood superheroes Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Kick-Ass 3 #1 (Freindly neighbourhood superheroes Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 am

Mark Millar and John Romita Jnr return with the final part of the epic Kick-Ass trilogy, and I think that with this issue, the series is back to it’s best. I enjoyed Kick-Ass 2, but it did get a little dark and a little too big. I like Kick-Ass best when it’s being goofy and silly with it’s commentary on superheroes, not having people get gang-raped. Millar seems to realise this, and scales things back a lot, and it leads to some damn funny moments.

The issue opens where Kick-Ass 2 left off, with Hit-Girl being taken to jail. Kick-Ass and the rest of Justice Forever plan to break her out of jail, but in the end, chicken out. Which makes sense, breaking someone out of jail is one of those things than almost never happens in real life, no way could Dave and the rest of these losers pull it off. So they leave Hit-Girl in prison, the pussies! I also really liked the scene where Dave is posing in front of his parents’ graves. This links in with stuff from the first series (or maybe it was just in the movie), about how he couldn’t stand there and swear vengeance like Batman. Here, he tries to do that, but it’s obviously played for laughs.

The scene where Kick-Ass goes into a bar to try and find a suspect is also hilarious and knowing with it’s mocking of superhero tropes. Kick-Ass does a dramatic entrance and exit by turning off the lights, but everyone gets pissed with him for ruining the cash register. This is what’s so good with this concept, when it plays up the lameness of the real-life superheroes. People like Mother Russia are too competent, too much like superhero comics. Having the chief antagonist of this issue be a lazy fat jerkwannabe superhero like The Juicer works a lot better.

It’s interesting to see where this series will go, what the main plotline will be, but for now, this was a nice return to the low-key fun that is Kick-Ass, I’m sure Millar will ratchet things up again and shit will get nuts, which I’m ambivalent about. Sometimes, the shocks are not needed. Romita is of course Romita, he doesn’t really change, but it’s good to see him back in this world, and since I’ve not been reading Captain America, it’s just good to see his art again.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand