Advertisement

Thanos Rising #3 (Poor little purple flower Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Thanos Rising #3 (Poor little purple flower Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 am

Jason Aaron’s exploration of Thanos’ murky origins continues to be dark and intriguing stuff. I never really cared about Thanos that much before, even during the Giffen/DnA cosmic stuff, he was a poor man’s Darkseid to me. But this mini-series has turned me around somewhat, seeing the big ugly lug’s tragic origins has made him come alive as a character, and this issue was the best yet.

There’s a big time-jump here, as after murdering his mother, Thanos leaves Titan and heads out into space. I think it’s very interesting that Thanos, who’s always shown as such a primal evil, actually struggles with that, and spends most of this issue trying to be good. He tries to settle down with a woman and have a child, but can’t. He joins a space pirate crew, but refuses to kill. He’s trying to hold back, to be normal, but he just can’t. Even though he shags more hot alien babes than even Captain Kirk, he just can’t find fulfilment.

One of the interesting things about this story is that Aaron is shying away from showing a lot of the heinous violence Thanos perpetrates. We never actually see him kill his mother, and when he snaps and kills the Pirate Captain, we don’t see that either. It’s the same with the shocking moment at the end. Thanos, unfulfilled with all of his random hook-ups, returns back to Titan, to the one woman he can’t get out of his head, the mysterious girl who is obviously Death. He wants to be with her, but she won’t let him unless he kills all of his previous lovers and children. Which he does. Holy crap! This is dark stuff, no doubt.

I can’t wait to see where poor old Thanos goes next, it’s only going to get bleaker. Simone Bianchi’s artwork is such a perfect fit for this kind of story, everything looks truly alien and his depiction of Thanos is just fantastic, especially the black, tragic eyes. Oh yeah, and there was a nice shout-out to Jim Starlin in this issue two, just a shame that his star-system has been eaten by Galactus.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Thanos Rising #3 (Poor little purple flower Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:30 am

Number 1 Thanos has ALWAYS been cooler than Darkseid.

Number 2 I don't like many of the changes to Thanos's background that are going on.

Giffen's version was fine.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand