Advertisement

East Of West #3 (The Great Wall is comin' down Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

East Of West #3 (The Great Wall is comin' down Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta’s crazy sci-fi western just gets more and more fascinating. This issue focuses on a character we only found out was alive on the last page of #2, Xiaolian, the wife of Death. We find out that she is the daughter of the current General Mao, and there’s a very interesting flashback to events that were teased in #1. There’s such a deep back-story to this world already and I can’t wait to unearth more.

Of course, Death himself is on the trail of Xiaolian and he leads an awesome attack on New Shanghai. I’m not sure, but Death may be the most bad-ass character in comics at the moment (well, it’s between him and Eye-Boy from the X-Men) everything he says is just hardcore as fuck, and you know he’s got the goods to back it up. The other plotline of this series is also developing nicely, as the other three horsemen of the apocalypse are hot on Death’s trail and are in the same bar he was in #1. Hickman really managed to freak me out with that talking eyeball, that was fucked up. I also like the introduction of the trackers, and how the seemingly hapless bartender is actually their leader.

Like I said, this is a rich world. And it’s made even richer by the awesome artwork of Nick Dragotta. Seriously, this is one good-looking book, Dragotta’s desolate landscapes are second to none. I’m really digging this series, it’s weird, it’s different, and each issue gives me something new. This is a good time for sci-fi in indie comics, what with this, Saga and the upcoming Lazarus, Image is bringing the space greatness.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: East Of West #3 (The Great Wall is comin' down Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I loved Dragotto on FF and this book has been fantastic.

I'm really curious to see how quickly Hickman will move the story along. Manhattan Projects still feels like we're just scratching the surface.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: East Of West #3 (The Great Wall is comin' down Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

habitual wrote:I loved Dragotto on FF and this book has been fantastic.

I'm really curious to see how quickly Hickman will move the story along. Manhattan Projects still feels like we're just scratching the surface.

Hab

20 years or so have passed in Manhattan Projects!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand