Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 661 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Here's another reason X-Men is so much better than AoU. X-Men's purpose is to tell a story. Age of Ultron's purpose is to introduce Angela to the Marvel Universe and create some super mindblowing status quo changing event that's so shocking only Joe Q can draw it because no other artist can be trusted to keep it a secret.

While X-Men has a bunch of subplots going with all of the characters, Age of Ultron barely has one coherent story, and it's all already been retconned by time travel shenanigans already, here in the 9th issue, for the aforementioned Angela and super shocking ending to take place in the next issue and be the whole point of the whole thing. So all that really matters out of this 10 issue series is the next issue, and already one of the shocking surprises is dumb and no one cares about it, and chances are the other one will be the same.

ESF, I respect your knowledge and opinions, but you are smoking crack with this.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

So...I've just been a silent spectator in this up to this point. All I'm really going to say is that clearly opinions are subjective. That said, could this story have come in under ten issues? I think so. I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty caught up with the storyline after wasting four bucks on a non-eventful first issue by keeping up with spoilers. Normally I'd feel like that was a cheat, but this whole thing feels so empty that I really can't care one way or the other. I like time travel/ alternate timeline stories in general, but the inherent flaw in such stories is that nothing ever matters. There just aren't any stakes to cling to. This particular story seems like it was even less than that. A forty dollar-plus mini that may have nothing to do with MarvelNOW. Pure speculation on my part, of course. Actually the "fucking with the time-stream" may lead into the godawful sounding "Death of Wolverine", so more reason to dislike it.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 587 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:05 pm

This story could've been (and I think it was originally supposed to be) a story arc back when Bendis was writing Avengers. It was mentioned on that timeline map thingie that Old Stark had..

Then it somehow got turned into this clusterfuck.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 661 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:This story could've been (and I think it was originally supposed to be) a story arc back when Bendis was writing Avengers. It was mentioned on that timeline map thingie that Old Stark had..

Then it somehow got turned into this clusterfuck.

I think it would have worked fine as that.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 am

Agreed. Than again, anything would have worked better than what we have now.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:21 am

xaraan wrote:I don't see how anyone could think this story is "good" unless they decided before hand and reach for anything they can cling to in hopes they were right.

I don't see how you can argue this, since this story changed direction hugely from #6 onwards and beforehand we had no idea about the time-travel and alternate reality aspects.

Age Of Ultron is not what was expected, for good or ill.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am

So, after taking an evening with Mrs. ElijahSnowFan and cooling off...

First, my apologies to anyone I "e-yelled" at yesterday. There's no reason for that; we're all the same here. We read comics. I appreciate anyone who does, who enjoys this medium.

We don't have to agree on everything, and this is one of those cases. I can't increase anyone's enjoyment of it, and of the nine issues I've read, I've honestly enjoyed all nine. That's just me, on this particular miniseries. I don't think anyone is adversely impacted by that. 8)

So, again: If I yelled at you yesterday, my apologies. You guys are my community, where I turn to indulge my inner nerd and say things like "space-time continuum" and "butterfly effect" and have people nod their heads and know exactly what the hell I'm talking about. I appreciate that about you bastards more than you know.

Except for Kanoosh, of course. Now THAT guy... :-D :-D :-D 8) 8)

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 203 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 am

1. AoU is awful

2. All New X-Men is fun and interesting.

I wonder if Bendis is even writing AoU...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:So, after taking an evening with Mrs. ElijahSnowFan and cooling off...

First, my apologies to anyone I "e-yelled" at yesterday. There's no reason for that; we're all the same here. We read comics. I appreciate anyone who does, who enjoys this medium.

We don't have to agree on everything, and this is one of those cases. I can't increase anyone's enjoyment of it, and of the nine issues I've read, I've honestly enjoyed all nine. That's just me, on this particular miniseries. I don't think anyone is adversely impacted by that. 8)

So, again: If I yelled at you yesterday, my apologies. You guys are my community, where I turn to indulge my inner nerd and say things like "space-time continuum" and "butterfly effect" and have people nod their heads and know exactly what the hell I'm talking about. I appreciate that about you bastards more than you know.

it's also perfectly acceptable to e-yell at GOSD. you never know when he may have his hearing aid turned down.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am

You agreed with me that's not going to go down well with Chap or these fools around here.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

listen, anytime somebody agrees with Jubilee AND Punchy in the same thread, it just becomes a necessity that you mock them. pretty sure that's in the TOS.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:So, after taking an evening with Mrs. ElijahSnowFan and cooling off...

If Elijah Snow was real, he'd love the Kanoosh.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am

Punchy wrote:
I don't see how you can argue this, since this story changed direction hugely from #6 onwards and beforehand we had no idea about the time-travel and alternate reality aspects.

Age Of Ultron is not what was expected, for good or ill.

What??? What moron had to wait past issue one to figure out this would be alternate dimensions/time travel? Hell, I knew from the preview we saw a year+ ago. I mean, when the entire world was taken over by ultron and heroes were get killed off faster than the red wedding, you mean to tell me some idiot out there thought this was actually happening for keeps in the 616?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 am

xaraan wrote:

What??? What moron had to wait past issue one to figure out this would be alternate dimensions/time travel? Hell, I knew from the preview we saw a year+ ago. I mean, when the entire world was taken over by ultron and heroes were get killed off faster than the red wedding, you mean to tell me some idiot out there thought this was actually happening for keeps in the 616?

I don't think anyone knew before #1 came out that Wolverine would travel back in time to kill Hank Pym, causing a House Of M style situation. If you say you thought that... you're bullshitting.

Hell, before #1 we didn't know that Ultron would kill so many heroes.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am

Punchy wrote:
I don't think anyone knew before #1 came out that Wolverine would travel back in time to kill Hank Pym, causing a House Of M style situation. If you say you thought that... you're bullshitting.

Hell, before #1 we didn't know that Ultron would kill so many heroes.

You didn't say that, you just got way more specific lol. And having to know exactly which hero would do what doesn't change any point I made.

Yes, before I read issue one, I knew this story would be about alternate dimension/timeline hopping crap. And yes, every time that happens, they do stupid shit like kill people off randomly, cut off arms, have people missing eyes, etc. because it's not permanent.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand