Advertisement

Tony Daniel Quits Twitter After Gender Politics Argument

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm

After allegedly getting into a brief exchange about the inherent misogyny in the term "friend zone," Tony Daniel appears to have deleted his Twitter account.

Source: Tumblr via Outhouse Editor GLX

Hi there! Stoneman, head of Outhouse S&P here. Earlier today, Action Comics artist Tony Daniel, according to some screenshots that The Outhouse is unable to confirm the veracity of, got into an exchange on Twitter "over the term "friend zone" and whether or not it is sexist. Afterward, he apparently quit Twitter, or at least made it inaccessible to all but approved followers. Twitter's error message claims the page "doesn't exist." Read the Tumblr account here.

Here's an excerpt:

Tony Daniel, writer of such classics [insert sarcasm font] Battle for the Cowl is currently writing Action Comics. I will not comment on the quality of that book because it’s inconsequential, but lets just say it ain’t on a my pull list. In his most recent issue he has Clark say to Jimmy that he’s been “friend zoned”. If you’re following me you don’t need to be told why the idea of friend zoning is sexist, but after seeing a post on here about how someone confronted him about it I went to see if he’d apologized. He had not. So I decided that I would add my voice to what I hope will be others. Let’s just say, he did not take kindly to it.

Now before I keep posting I want to make a point of where I was trying to say here. It’s something that Smooth did in his post but really Bomani Jones said once on Hoop Speak. No one has racism or sexism repellent. It’s something we all grow up with and it becomes a part of us. My goal here was to say that the thing he did was sexist, not that he was sexist. Spoiler alert, he did not take it that way.

It should be noted, for those who think I'm being unfair, that Daniel's side of the story cannot be represented since he deleted or hid his Twitter account. I did verify that the account used to be active, and appears to be Daniel's account, and that it is now unreachable. Also, his gallery of Facebook header images contained the image at the top of the article, objectifying Wonder Woman's butt.

The Tumblr blog where the story comes from, "leaguerulesfrownupon," describes its purpose as "Comics and Sports from a guy working for ESPN/NBA." I have no idea how to figure out Tumblr, but from what I can tell, the blog seems to have many posts with hundreds of notes, and the Twitter account has over 25,000 tweets.

The whole thing is strange, and I'm not sure what to think of it, so I'm just reporting what I know, and leaving it to you, long suffering Outhouse readers, to decide for yourselves.

We're going to put out a request for comment tonight, but, you know, DC creators aren't allowed to talk to us.

Written or Contributed by Stoneman

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Tony Daniel's Friend Zoning Controversy

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Somebody...ANYbody...want to explain to me how the idea of "friend zoning" is misogynistic?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:15 pm

chap22 wrote:Somebody...ANYbody...want to explain to me how the idea of "friend zoning" is misogynistic?

:smt102

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Friendzoning is the process by which a man befriends a girl, is extremely kind to her, offers her emotional support, and the bitch doesn’t even have the decency to sleep with him. I mean, the cheek of it, right? But never fear, the Nice Guys have rallied together to support one and other through this difficult time, reassuring each other that if we can’t see what a catch they are, then those chicas are obviously shallow douchebag-loving megatrolls, unworthy of any more of their time. Entire websites have now been dedicated to hating that special female in their lives through verbal assassination, which seems a bit rich if you’re going to simultaneously refer to yourself as ‘the ideal boyfriend’. Meanwhile, pseudo-scientific bullshit articles like this one in Ask Men magazine explain away the friendzone by saying that sex is a natural state of affairs with anyone you have a passing friendly feeling for, but women ‘find it easier’ to keep most men as friends because for them, ‘sex comes bundled up with an onslaught of dizzying and complicated emotions.’ The same article even includes the assertion that men see the world in a ‘natural’ way but ‘women can’t process this logic’, so they set up a false dichotomy (friends/lovers) instead. Silly women and their silly ploys. Why can’t they just man up and have sex with all their friends already? If only their brains could just cope with logic.

The friendzone is a pretty bad idea on a whole lot of levels, but let’s start with the most obvious. Nice Guys, are you listening? This concerns you. Okay, here goes. If you’re talking about women like this, then you’re not really a very nice guy. As a lady, I reserve the right to choose who I have sex with - and if you’re expecting automatic access to the ladyparts because you’ve chilled out over a chai latte with me, then there’s not a whole lot separating you from that guy called Chad who slaps your ass as he buys you a shot at the bar. Man, at least the ass-slapper is up-front with his tactics and easier to avoid: you can see the greasy tips of his waxed up hair before he gets close enough for a proper grope, and run a mile. Nice Guys? If they’re in it for vajayjay, then even by Chad’s standards they’re kind of creepy.

http://vagendamag.blogspot.com/2012/12/ ... -zone.html

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:25 pm

TonySDaniel's twitter page is mysteriously vanished.

https://twitter.com/TonySDaniel

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 661 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:30 pm

chap22 wrote:Somebody...ANYbody...want to explain to me how the idea of "friend zoning" is misogynistic?

Is it a thing? Then it is sexist. Please learn and move on, Chap22.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Haha I love his response.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Is it a thing? Then it is sexist. Please learn and move on, Chap22.

Ah yes, clearly I forgot this new rule for the 21st century. My bad.

As to all the previous helpful posts from before Jude's, all i can say in response is: Jesus H. Christ, people are fucking stupid.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

That's pretty fucking lame.

Also... why approach Daniels on this (while putting down his writing)? Diggle wrote this, right?

REGARDLESS... it's totally a term Jimmy Olsen would use. Does this d-bag call out Ennis for using "nigga" in his writing? If not, they should STFU.
Last edited by HNutz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:40 pm

LOL. :-D :-D :-D

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:43 pm

HNutz wrote:That's pretty fucking lame.

Also... why approach Daniels on this (while putting down his writing)? Diggle wrote this, right?

Diggle plotted the arc before he left. Daniel has been scripting it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I don't see how friend-zoning can be seen as misogynistic.

Men can put women in the friend zone just as much as women can put men there. Gay men could put other men in the friend zone, it's the same with gay women. There is nothing gender specific in the phrase.

And of course, even if you somehow believe it is offensive, it's not Tony Daniel who said it, it's him having Jimmy Olsen, an immature teenager say it. People seem to forget that comics writers are writing characters, when someone writes the Red Skull saying he hates Jews, that doesn't mean they hate Jews! It's a character!

For fuck's sake, it's pathetic how much some people look to be offended.

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

And Friendzoning is not inherently misogynistic. No man thinks of it until its actually happened to them. We also don't think we want/have to sleep with every female friend we have.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm going to keep buying Superman as a show of support.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm

I've never heard of "friend zoning" before. But it is a ridiculous term. Like "face time" and "dehire."

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand