Wednesday, May 4, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The trash of the multiverse has gotta end up somewhere."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

xaraan wrote:And yes, every time that happens, they do stupid shit like kill people off randomly, cut off arms, have people missing eyes, etc. because it's not permanent..

here's where you lose me
AoA, Mutant X, and other examples I can't think of right now, were fantastic alt reality stories well worth the temporary feel

the problem with AU is that unlike AoA or Mutant X, the readers are not given enough time or reasons to actually care about the atl versions and they are not all that interesting when compared to the "real" versions. This isn't just temporary its lazy and worthless even as entertainment.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 am

xaraan wrote:

You didn't say that, you just got way more specific lol. And having to know exactly which hero would do what doesn't change any point I made.

Yes, before I read issue one, I knew this story would be about alternate dimension/timeline hopping crap. And yes, every time that happens, they do stupid shit like kill people off randomly, cut off arms, have people missing eyes, etc. because it's not permanent.


What I meant was, this story changed direction drastically with #6, you can't claim you knew that, so you can't claim that people who like this issue only like it because they decided they would ages ago. I had no idea there would be an 'Age Of Morgana Le Fay', but I still like it.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am

I think the difference between people who like/dislike the event are just some people are happy seeing cool scenes and new ideas that they know won't stick around whereas some people are jaded with the idea of a "Age of Morgana Le Fay"

There's nothing wrong with either of those things, but I think that's just the main difference. Different strokes
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't see how you can argue this, since this story changed direction hugely from #6 onwards and beforehand we had no idea about the time-travel and alternate reality aspects.



Well, seeing as how we had a thread on it back in March when AoU #2 had come out, I'd say, yeah, we did know (you too, as you posted in the thread).

the-news-stand/age-ultron-surprise-ending-t92850.html
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 pm

GHERU wrote:here's where you lose me
AoA, Mutant X, and other examples I can't think of right now, were fantastic alt reality stories well worth the temporary feel

the problem with AU is that unlike AoA or Mutant X, the readers are not given enough time or reasons to actually care about the atl versions and they are not all that interesting when compared to the "real" versions. This isn't just temporary its lazy and worthless even as entertainment.

Mutant X was terrible. :smt011 :smt011

I do love me some AoA though.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't think anyone knew before #1 came out that Wolverine would travel back in time to kill Hank Pym, causing a House Of M style situation. If you say you thought that... you're bullshitting.

Hell, before #1 we didn't know that Ultron would kill so many heroes.


Know we figured out Wolverine would go back in time after issue 1 when the solicit for 4 came out.
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Punchy wrote:
What I meant was, this story changed direction drastically with #6, you can't claim you knew that, so you can't claim that people who like this issue only like it because they decided they would ages ago. I had no idea there would be an 'Age Of Morgana Le Fay', but I still like it.


I didn't claim I knew it was changing direction, but I knew it was going to be dealing with alt times/dimensions/whatever. How the fuck else were they going to fix the world and bring everyone back that they've killed? Which is exactly what they've done, the only direction they changed was they actually got on with that story and quit dragging out the ultron future that they wasted four issues with.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 pm

xaraan wrote:How the fuck else were they going to fix the world and bring everyone back that they've killed?


It will turn out that the super top secret Joe Quesada portion of the final issue is just a revelation that the entire series was Ultron's dream!

Image
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Grayson wrote:Are people upset about the concept of the story though? Most of the complaints that I have seen about the Age of Ultron have been about the lack of Ulton, the horrible pacing of the story, the morality of the choices that the characters have been making, and/or the price per issue. I don't know that anybody has really been complaining about the concept of a story where Ultron finally wins.


Personally, I am loving this, despite the pace (it gives me war flashbacks of House of M, which was my least fave during the Age of Bendis, to borrow a line; and it reminds me of the whole year of college it took to get through Civil War thankyouverymuchdelays). Still, I'm enjoying this.

I would have liked some time spent on Ultron and Pym interacting, perhaps as they both watch from the future as Ultron judges humanity, but alas. As it stands now, it's a very enjoyable story. And as I have not read the original Ultron story which the OP so nicely posted, I found Ultron-1's babytalk....very creepy. Very, brilliantly, very creepy.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

And I love that Pym literally just sat there as the Wolverines talked their way through time travel, paradoxes, killing Pym himself, and Ultron. Such an overlookable moment, but probably Pym's best: he's a scientist and he's with two time travellers that shouldn't be, and he's soaking it all in. It's just cool
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 pm

chap22 wrote:listen, anytime somebody agrees with Jubilee AND Punchy in the same thread, it just becomes a necessity that you mock them. pretty sure that's in the TOS.


imo they are usually right and you are wrong.

there's rare exceptions but they're more in tune with the modern reader and your disdain of all things bendis proves that.

your favourite writers wish they had the talent bendis has and all their fave artists practically line up to collaborate with him like jrjr and simonson have among others.

therefore you're wrong.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:
Personally, I am loving this, despite the pace (it gives me war flashbacks of House of M, which was my least fave during the Age of Bendis, to borrow a line; and it reminds me of the whole year of college it took to get through Civil War thankyouverymuchdelays). Still, I'm enjoying this.

I would have liked some time spent on Ultron and Pym interacting, perhaps as they both watch from the future as Ultron judges humanity, but alas. As it stands now, it's a very enjoyable story. And as I have not read the original Ultron story which the OP so nicely posted, I found Ultron-1's babytalk....very creepy. Very, brilliantly, very creepy.

For the record - that 'brilliance' is 100% Roy Thomas and 0% Bendis.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
imo they are usually right and you are wrong.

there's rare exceptions but they're more in tune with the modern reader and your disdain of all things bendis proves that.

your favourite writers wish they had the talent bendis has and all their fave artists practically line up to collaborate with him like jrjr and simonson have among others.

therefore you're wrong.


Oh shit. :lol:
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
imo they are usually right and you are wrong.

there's rare exceptions but they're more in tune with the modern reader and your disdain of all things bendis proves that.

your favourite writers wish they had the talent bendis has and all their fave artists practically line up to collaborate with him like jrjr and simonson have among others.

therefore you're wrong.

Wow. :lol: Even in a thread mentioning Twigg and Punch...somehow this dark horse comes out of nowhere to win the coveted honor of "dumbest post ever." good show, fieldy....congrats on your upset victory.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:07 am

i blame the generation gap. you're just no longer tuned into what's hip and cool anymore thus anything groundbreaking or revolutionary like bendis's work just seems wrong to you because he's daring to break the mould and move past that stagnant stale setting you grew up reading to give us smarter, more intricate and deeper writing than we've ever seen before.

like i said, the man is a revolutionary for how he's managed to stay consistent and fresh for almost a decade on the avengers by constantly trying something new and exploring storytelling from so many different sides.

when people listen to criticism like yours about respecting continuity and things like that it ends up with something like DC pre DCnU.....and now as we can see they're basically reliving the 90's after they tried oh so hard to break the 70's/80's-cross-dark-and-edgy tribute phase that geoff johns and didio put them through during the 2000's.

therefore bendis is saving us from those sort of stories aka the stories your kind of fan wants because the alternative is enough to kill the book side of the industry.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flamebird and 50 guests