Advertisement

Astro City, East Of West#3, Uber#2, Bedlam#7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 99 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Astro City, East Of West#3, Uber#2, Bedlam#7

Postby Arion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 pm

I've read Uber # 0, Bedlam 1-6 and I preordered Astro City but haven't received it yet.

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:03 am

Trade waiting on all that stuff

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:25 am

LobsterJ wrote:I was going to buy Astro City but I got to the store, realized it was 4 bucks, and that I'd have to pay like 24 bucks for 6 issues and decided to get the trade on Amazon. If one ever comes out, still no trade for Shining Stars.

The $4 pricetag is off-putting to me mainly in light or the fact that this physical comic book is vastly inferior to what I had come to think of as an Astro City book. Sure, it's a new publisher for the book, but like most of DC's output right now it's a thin little same-cover affair that gives new merit to the derogatory term "floppy". It's a flimsy, floppy little thing that doesn't say to me, "I'm worth four bucks". For fuck-sake, I get advertisements in the mail that are made better than a DC comic book currently is.

I bought this to give it a try since I liked the previous Astro City runs over-all, and because I thought Kurt Busiek is still a creator worth supporting, but I doubt I'll continue to purchase this book.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

MrBlack wrote:I actually bought Astro City, my first comic in a long time. Nothing Earth shattering (although American Chibiis creepy as hell), but an interesting start. I actually liked the fourth wall breaking aspect of the narrative.

I really dislike American Chibi, at first I was afraid it would be the focus of the book. The fourth wall-breaking stuff is relevant in terms of the era of comics Busiek has now progressed to in reference, but it still felt like a good old-fashioned information dump to me.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
The next issue of Manhattan Projects might be my favorite of the bunch.

So, so good. This is one of maybe 3 or 4 books keeping me buying monthly comics.

I can't even imagine what kind of Frankenstein cyborg they're going to make out of Fermi, I doubt Einstein is just going to chainsaw him to bits.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 284 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:55 pm

I really liked Astro City. Thought it was a great intro issue as well as reminding long-times fans whats up. Loved the throw back to that guy whose name I forget. The civilian
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand