Advertisement

Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am

It's one thing when a random fan creeps on a cosplayer, but when vendors start doing it...

Source: Carrie Wink

As someone who has been a part of the geek-culture scene in various roles, I can attest to the notion of Cosplay Related Creepiness being a serious issue. It is a matter that has persisted for so long that the grassroots movement, Cosplay =/= Consent, is spreading like wildfire in the community. By getting this mesage out there, it is hoped that people will become aware that someone dressing up as their favorite character (among other things) is not an invitation to disrespect them as a person. As with all movements of this type, progress will be met with setbacks, an unfortunate reality that appears to have happened in the dealer’s room of the AnimeNext convention this weekend.

This morning, Carrie Wink posted two photos of Cosplayers who are well known in the Northeast Convention Circuit. Of course, stock photos of even well-known cosplayers are not uncommon. However as you can plainly see here...

...these are not ordinary photos. From the same source that broke the story, it has been confirmed that 2 Image Solutions is selling full body pillows featuring these images, and the cosplayers say they don't have permission. In fact, the Superman cosplayer, Dustin Dorough, went on record on Facebook to say:

"Whoa... I DEFINITELY did not give permission for this."

He also said:

"I never signed any sort of release for any products or prints. I've only done photoshoots with 4 photographers and never in this suit. This pillow is a random convention candid from Dragon*Con."

Another Cosplayer, known as Christina Marie, divulged that she did sign an agreement with 2 Image Solutions, but that the full body pillow allegedly goes beyond the “scope of business” (i.e. the limit of exploitable activity) that the agreement was originally signed for.  Her statement supports the suspicion that this vendor could be illegally using the likeness of the Cosplayers in question to make a buck. Needless to say, this situation, if it is as it appears, is pretty reprehensible, even if it turns out to be technically legal. As to what actions might be taken against the vendor, we'll keep you updated.

My Personal Take on the situation:

Brass tacks time, ladies and gentlemen. Despite gallant efforts of those in this community to make it known that this behavior isn’t okay, there will be those that slip through the cracks and have to learn a couple of lessons the hard way. However, it is expected that these lessons do not have to be taught to people acting as professionals. It shouldn’t have to be said, but the minute you sign up to be a vendor in a Dealers Room/Exhibit Hall you are there in a business capacity, and are expected to conduct yourself with integrity. Just like straight-up bootleg products are not acceptable, products carrying the likeness of others who have not given their consent are just as unacceptable.

With that being said, there are always multiple sides to every story, and in the interest of fairness, The Outhouse would like to invite the person or people who make decisions for 2 Image Solutions to explain their side of the story. If there is any mitigating evidence or explanations that could be made in your defense, we would be glad to hear them. If it is found that there are any significant differences from what has been reported, I will personally rescind this article and make full apoligies to those affected.

(Note: Despite using their Logo, this is not a condemation of Anime Next. In fact, we learned after publishing that the vendor was removed from the premises, though other reports are saying he was let back in.)

(Once again, the author of this article would like to thank Carrie Wink for breaking the story)

Update: My sources have found the person in charge of the Vendor carrying these products. He has been contacted in private in the hopes of generating a response to what has been written. More on this as it breaks.

Update #2: We have received information that Christina Marie is not the female Loki Cosplayer in question, and in accordance with that, the article has been edited. The Author regrets the error.

Update #3: We have recieved an email and a packet containing signed releases from Eric Pearce of 2 Image Productions. Eric claims that he is morally and legally in the right, that all participants signed releases, and that the pillows are only 12" x 8" (though they certainly appear bigger in the first photograph above). You can read more about that here.

Update #4: Marie Grey has published a very detailed blog post on this subject here.

Update #5: 2 Image Productions has decided to pull the pillows from their merchandise.  A full statement can be found here

Written or Contributed by Linwood Earl Knight

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am

Cosplay is creepy in general.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 am

:roll: no cosplay isn't creepy

but full body pillows of random people is, plus stealing pictures of people without permission (and I'm sure that not only did the cosplayers not give permission, but the photographers whose work they used didn't either).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Fuck pillows are creepy, I remember someone years ago used to have a gif of some Asian dude wildly humping one with an anime girl on it. Very disturbing.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:10 pm

As long as the pillow is over the age of 18 and is in a stable state of mind I see nothing wrong with it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1170 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Wow. Just wow. :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Imagine if some of the well-soaked fuck pillows someday arrive in thrift stores and someone buys them for their kids.

I mean, any second hand pillow is a gross thought, but..

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1019 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:29 pm

A full body pillow based off the likenesses of real people who did not grant permission (were they even asked?) Is DEFINITELY creepy.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Creepy doesn't cover it. Is there a word that covers creepy, disgusting, and despicable? The person who thought this was a good idea to make a buck has A LOT of explaining to do.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:00 pm

i remember making jokes about full body pillows for fans of cass, steph and other teenage heroes etc......

didn't think it'd branch out to cosplayers :lol:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 434 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

And she still wonders why I'm so insecure. She giggles because I sleep with a ...

Kal Luin
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Kal Luin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I believe the inherent problem is the lack of boundaries in regards of respect towards other people. Since the public domain of the internet has almost an unrestricted access for individuals to download/cut and paste photos of anything posted on the net it arguably gives the appearance of a free reign to do as you wish. Like finding a piece of fruit on the ground in the middle of a forest many pictures are gathered in bushels for the taking by anyone. I suppose it is not surprising that a few opportunists would take advantage of such a thing and make a quick illicit buck.

pixiebelle
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pixiebelle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:20 am

I am one of the girls on the pillows and I can tell you in no way did I sign for this. Me and my bf went up to him at the con and he showed me the "alleged" contract I signed but my signature wasn't on it and it was a digital copy, he doesn't have physical copies!

Robert Fox
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Robert Fox » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 am

Another problem that is concurrent with the lack of permission from the coplayers is a probable lack of copyright consideration. The copyright holders for the characters could view this as an infringement on their intellectual property. Cosplay is generally overlooked in copyright consideration because it isn't making the player any money and can lead to sales of the original product. But here we have someone using a copyright character being cosplayed to make money. This could get ugly for the vendor and or cosplay in general depending on how the copyright holders chose to respond.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand