Advertisement

Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Aiden Austin
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 266 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Aiden Austin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 am

I saw this and thought it was a bit odd. I was under the presumption that consent WAS given, but it looks like I was completely wrong. Probably a good ole fashion class action lawsuit should straighten this out and hopefully enforce the whole cosplay =/= consent message.

Advertisement

Aiden Austin
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Aiden Austin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 am

I saw this and thought it was a bit odd. I was under the presumption that consent WAS given, but it looks like I was completely wrong. Probably a good ole fashion class action lawsuit should straighten this out and hopefully enforce the whole cosplay =/= consent message.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby jeremy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 am

pixiebelle wrote:I am one of the girls on the pillows and I can tell you in no way did I sign for this. Me and my bf went up to him at the con and he showed me the "alleged" contract I signed but my signature wasn't on it and it was a digital copy, he doesn't have physical copies!

Yea, if he doesn't have a physical contract, that can be a big problem. I've shot photography for years, and I get contracts signed just to use stuff in my portfolio formally, and have a completely different contract for work where photography will be used for commercial use. Plus, assuming he didn't take those images himself, then the photographer can also come after them as well for using their work without permission. (Plus, photographers and possibly professional cosplayers can not only have the merchandise pulled and destroyed legally, but possibly sue for damages as well)

Anyone that tries a "public places" excuse, that goes out the door when you start selling the work. I've had to deal with all this plenty between shooting performers and entertainers (aside from cosplayers) and had to go after several companies for stealing my work before. It's a pain in the ass to deal with, but if you stay on it, it's a fight you will win. Hopefully they will see the light and you won't have to take the legal route.

Jesse Parrino
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Jesse Parrino » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 am

I'd counter to the not having the physical contract with would he carry the original paperwork with him to every single con? That wouldn't make sense. The fact that he even thought to have digital copies. Is more then a lot of people selling products.

What's funny is I've seen this guy at events for years. This isn't even the first con he sold these pillows. I saw him selling them at Steampunk World's Faire. And I've seen him doing the shoots to get the images for years. It seems like he does a "Free Shoot" to get the images then sells them in this manner.

That said if the contract signed mentioned "For Trade" in the possible uses they don't have THAT much of a legal recourse. As the images remain unedited. However, if the claims of the Superman cosplayer are true and that this is just a convention candid. THEN you can nail this guy.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 363 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 am

Here's a question I was wondering: in addition to the cosplayers, and possibly the photographers, would Marvel and DC have recourse for an action? I doubt he has DC's permission to sell superman pillows, after all.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 359 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 am

Lord Simian wrote:Here's a question I was wondering: in addition to the cosplayers, and possibly the photographers, would Marvel and DC have recourse for an action? I doubt he has DC's permission to sell superman pillows, after all.

given how they literally bled gary friedrich dry you'd imagine so. then again that was retaliation after he tried to sue them first.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 am

This is very icky :shock:

Scruffy Hawkeye
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Scruffy Hawkeye » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 am

The Loki cosplayer isn't Christina Marie, it is Revivi Cos (Natalie).

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

As the person who wrote the article...

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 am

pixiebelle wrote:I am one of the girls on the pillows and I can tell you in no way did I sign for this. Me and my bf went up to him at the con and he showed me the "alleged" contract I signed but my signature wasn't on it and it was a digital copy, he doesn't have physical copies!

...Can I ask what came of the confrontation? If need be, you can PM me the details.

Also, the original article has been edited to account for the mistakes in reporting of this story. I'll make sure to do better next time.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Re: RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymor

Postby Schlemmer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 am

FBtron wrote:The Loki cosplayer isn't Christina Marie, it is Revivi Cos (Natalie).

So who's Pixie Belle?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am

Man, who would ever have thought the world of designer fuck-pillows was so slimy?

Color me disillusioned.

Christopher Michael O'Neill
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Christopher Michael O'Neill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 am

wait a second those clones I made out of country of you I use those as body pillows. I got the dna from your drinks I gave you for free in my convention party. It is really your fault for leaving your dna there.

Lydia Croft
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Lydia Croft » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 am

This is beyond sick!

Dave Palmacci
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Dave Palmacci » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:48 pm

This is so hot I want the Superman one, how much?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:22 pm

As to those who use fuck-pillows in their daily...lives, does the taboo of sex without (copyright) protection add to their experience, I wonder?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand