Advertisement

Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Caitlin Bell
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Caitlin Bell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:33 pm

I myself as a cosplayer/fursuiter (both at the same time) am a bit disturbed by this.

Advertisement

George William Claxton
FACEBOOKTron

Postby George William Claxton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is also illegal.

Robert Williams
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Robert Williams » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Well, I am not a lawyer; but, I am an amateur photographer. I don't think that the people in these photos would be without recompense. You have a "right to publicity" and you can control how your likeness is used. So, without a model release specifying the intended use of the photo, they probably have a decent case for both a monetary reward and a Cease and Desist order.

Risvani
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymore.

Postby Risvani » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm

According to the company's DeviantArt site, they have just changed their policy and will no longer be selling the body pillows - except to those cosplayers that wish to have one of themselves. I'm sure it was because of the internet backlash.

Legally, according to them, the contracts that were signed stated that they had the right to use the images as merch or whatever they saw fit. The cosplayers that signed the agreement probably didn't read it or pay attention to it or even realize what they were signing on for (though I'm damn sure it never stated the image would be used for a body pillow). While the company was legally, right, it was morally wrong... But you have to be careful and protect yourself, because there are people always waiting to take advantage.

Hokage Natsu
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Hokage Natsu » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:35 pm

oh can I buy oneZ~Z *noZebleed* *o*? I meanZ stahp youZ <~> the perZon who iZ doing thiZ <~> thiZ iZ wrong >~<.

Lins Stasia
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Lins Stasia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm

This is not sick. Eric knows what he is doing and The release is ALWAYS explained to the MODEL. These pillows are not meant nor EVER meant to be what you are calling "sex play" pillows or my personal favorite "fap fap" pillows. I ALWAYS GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO TAKE THEIR TIME AND READ THE RELEASE THEMSELVES. I ALSO EXPLAIN IT TO THE AND MENTION THE PILLOWS. EVERY MODEL GETS A EMAILED VERSION OF IT. HE HAS EVERY SINGLE RELEASE OF EVERY MODEL. HE IS AN ARTIST AND WANTS TO SHOW HIS CONCEPT. IF THE PERSON IS A MINOR I MAKE SURE THE PARENT SIGNS FOR IT.

THIS IS MEANT TO BE A CONVERSATION PIECE, A DECORATION AND A MEMORY OF ALL THE HARD WORK EVERY COSPLAYER PUTS INTO THEIR COSPLAY. THAT IS WHY CUSTOM PILLOWS ARE OFFERED. A MODEL RELEASE HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXPLAINED CONSIDERING I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH HIM FOR 3 YEARS. ERIC IS A HARD WORKER AND AN AMAZING FRIEND. HE IS RESPECTFUL AND NEVER WOULD DARE TO OFFER "SEX PILLOWS." WHEN I WAS WALKING AROUND I SAW GIANT PILLOWS WITH GRAPHIC DETAILS ON IT. THOSE MAY BE CONSIDER BUT ERIC JUST WANTS TO MAKE A PERSON A MEMORY.

HE OFFERS HIS INFORMATION AND ALWAYS EMAILS THE RELEASE TO THE MODEL. ANY MODEL SAYING THAT THEY NEVER AGREED TO DO THIS IS A LIAR. MEMORY CAN FAIL US YES. BUT DO NOT PUT AN ARTIST AND HUMAN BEING ON BLAST BECAUSE YOU "CLAIM" TO FORGET THAT YOU DID THIS. CONVENTIONS CAN BE LONG AND YOU GET WORN OUT. I AM SAYING THIS IS THE FACT OF MODELS FORGETTING THAT THEY SIGN, NOT US BECAUSE I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO GET MODEL RELEASES OUT THERE AND EXPLAINED.

RUMORS ARE PATHETIC AND SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE. I MODEL MYSELF AND ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. I AM A LAID BACK PERSON AND UNDERSTAND WHERE CERTAIN PEOPLE CAN FORGET THEY SIGN AND SEE THEMSELVES ON A PILLOW A YEAR LATER AND FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH IT. THAT HAPPENED AND WE TOOK IT DOWN RIGHT AWAY TO MAKE HER FEEL COMFORTABLE AND ALL WAS WELL. EVEN SHOWED THEM THE MODEL RELEASE WE HAD FOR HER. I ALSO STARTED ASKING MODELS HOW THEY WOULD FEEL BEING SOLD ON A PILLOW AFTER THE ONE PROBLEM. EVERY SINGLE ONE I ASKED SAID POSITIVE THINIG LIKE, "THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I WOULD LOVE TO BE ON PILLOW!" FAMILIES ALSO DO THIS TOO. IF WE WERE TARGETING IT AS A "SEX PILLOW" WHY THE HECK WOULD WE LET FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN DO THIS?

THESE WORDS ARE NOT TYPED, SAID, WHATEVER IN A MEAN WAY. I AM AWARE THAT READING CRAP ONLINE CAN BE TAKEN A WRONG WAY. I AM A RATIONAL, NICE PERSON AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK IF YOU DO HAVE A QUESTION OR IF YOU DID HAVE A SHOOT THIS PAST WEEKEND.

FOR THOSE SAYING IT IS SICK AND ETC. PLEASE LEARN THE REAL STORY FIRST BEFORE YOU BELIEVE LIES. AND OTHER VENDORS SAYING HE IS NOT WANTED IS CERTAINTY VERY RUDE. NOTHING IS BEING DONE ILLEGALLY AND IT IS SAD THAT VENDORS ARE SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND HERE YOU ARE TALKING NONSENSE.

YOU WANT THE TRUTH. ASK ME. I WORK FOR HIM. I SUPPORT HIM. I KNOW HIM EXTREMELY WELL. WHEN YOU MESSAGE ME, DO NOT BE IGNORANT AND CURSE ME OUT, SAY HES DISGUSTING BECAUSE YOU REALLY JUST MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID. IF YOU HAVE LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS I WILL CERTAINLY ANSWER THEM.

BUT IF THIS WAS YOUR ARTISTIC CONCEPT THAT YOU WORKED HARD ON FOR A CONVENTION, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 365 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: RE: Cosplay Creepiness: It's not just for Fanboys anymor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:31 pm

FBtron wrote:This is not sick. Eric knows what he is doing and The release is ALWAYS explained to the MODEL. These pillows are not meant nor EVER meant to be what you are calling "sex play" pillows or my personal favorite "fap fap" pillows. I ALWAYS GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO TAKE THEIR TIME AND READ THE RELEASE THEMSELVES. I ALSO EXPLAIN IT TO THE AND MENTION THE PILLOWS. EVERY MODEL GETS A EMAILED VERSION OF IT. HE HAS EVERY SINGLE RELEASE OF EVERY MODEL. HE IS AN ARTIST AND WANTS TO SHOW HIS CONCEPT. IF THE PERSON IS A MINOR I MAKE SURE THE PARENT SIGNS FOR IT.

THIS IS MEANT TO BE A CONVERSATION PIECE, A DECORATION AND A MEMORY OF ALL THE HARD WORK EVERY COSPLAYER PUTS INTO THEIR COSPLAY. THAT IS WHY CUSTOM PILLOWS ARE OFFERED. A MODEL RELEASE HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXPLAINED CONSIDERING I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH HIM FOR 3 YEARS. ERIC IS A HARD WORKER AND AN AMAZING FRIEND. HE IS RESPECTFUL AND NEVER WOULD DARE TO OFFER "SEX PILLOWS." WHEN I WAS WALKING AROUND I SAW GIANT PILLOWS WITH GRAPHIC DETAILS ON IT. THOSE MAY BE CONSIDER BUT ERIC JUST WANTS TO MAKE A PERSON A MEMORY.

HE OFFERS HIS INFORMATION AND ALWAYS EMAILS THE RELEASE TO THE MODEL. ANY MODEL SAYING THAT THEY NEVER AGREED TO DO THIS IS A LIAR. MEMORY CAN FAIL US YES. BUT DO NOT PUT AN ARTIST AND HUMAN BEING ON BLAST BECAUSE YOU "CLAIM" TO FORGET THAT YOU DID THIS. CONVENTIONS CAN BE LONG AND YOU GET WORN OUT. I AM SAYING THIS IS THE FACT OF MODELS FORGETTING THAT THEY SIGN, NOT US BECAUSE I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO GET MODEL RELEASES OUT THERE AND EXPLAINED.

RUMORS ARE PATHETIC AND SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE. I MODEL MYSELF AND ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. I AM A LAID BACK PERSON AND UNDERSTAND WHERE CERTAIN PEOPLE CAN FORGET THEY SIGN AND SEE THEMSELVES ON A PILLOW A YEAR LATER AND FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH IT. THAT HAPPENED AND WE TOOK IT DOWN RIGHT AWAY TO MAKE HER FEEL COMFORTABLE AND ALL WAS WELL. EVEN SHOWED THEM THE MODEL RELEASE WE HAD FOR HER. I ALSO STARTED ASKING MODELS HOW THEY WOULD FEEL BEING SOLD ON A PILLOW AFTER THE ONE PROBLEM. EVERY SINGLE ONE I ASKED SAID POSITIVE THINIG LIKE, "THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I WOULD LOVE TO BE ON PILLOW!" FAMILIES ALSO DO THIS TOO. IF WE WERE TARGETING IT AS A "SEX PILLOW" WHY THE HECK WOULD WE LET FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN DO THIS?

THESE WORDS ARE NOT TYPED, SAID, WHATEVER IN A MEAN WAY. I AM AWARE THAT READING CRAP ONLINE CAN BE TAKEN A WRONG WAY. I AM A RATIONAL, NICE PERSON AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK IF YOU DO HAVE A QUESTION OR IF YOU DID HAVE A SHOOT THIS PAST WEEKEND.

FOR THOSE SAYING IT IS SICK AND ETC. PLEASE LEARN THE REAL STORY FIRST BEFORE YOU BELIEVE LIES. AND OTHER VENDORS SAYING HE IS NOT WANTED IS CERTAINTY VERY RUDE. NOTHING IS BEING DONE ILLEGALLY AND IT IS SAD THAT VENDORS ARE SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND HERE YOU ARE TALKING NONSENSE.

YOU WANT THE TRUTH. ASK ME. I WORK FOR HIM. I SUPPORT HIM. I KNOW HIM EXTREMELY WELL. WHEN YOU MESSAGE ME, DO NOT BE IGNORANT AND CURSE ME OUT, SAY HES DISGUSTING BECAUSE YOU REALLY JUST MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID. IF YOU HAVE LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS I WILL CERTAINLY ANSWER THEM.

BUT IF THIS WAS YOUR ARTISTIC CONCEPT THAT YOU WORKED HARD ON FOR A CONVENTION, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?

WHAT?!?! POST LOUDER!!!! YOU KNOW, IN A BIG BOLD FONT!!!! WE MIGHT TAKE YOU AS HAVING AN EMOTIONAL EDGE AND PERHAPS EVEN A POINT!!!!
Last edited by The Old Doctor on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 pm

By the way, Lins Stasia, do you scream into your pillow(s)?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Hey, has anyone died from an allergic reaction to the pillows? Or gotten some sort of infection or infestation? Could be a news item not yet reported on...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

FBtron wrote:This is not sick. Eric knows what he is doing and The release is ALWAYS explained to the MODEL. These pillows are not meant nor EVER meant to be what you are calling "sex play" pillows or my personal favorite "fap fap" pillows.

Its not necessarily "sick", his artistic vision when giving him the benefit of the doubt but ethically its quite unsound. When art is made for commercial consumption or capitalist endeavor, the purpose should be clearly stated within the contract. Its not clearly stated in Eric's release that the images will be on a pillow, keychain, basketball hoop, whatever. If he's going to sell merchandise, he should out of good will and ethical practice, openly state or inform what he'll be selling and check with those whose images he'll be using. Sounds like he did no followup due diligence with his models/subjects which is shoddy business practice in my opinion.

Jonas Ibarra
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Jonas Ibarra » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 am

lol it was a bad idea.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:19 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:Hey, has anyone died from an allergic reaction to the pillows? Or gotten some sort of infection or infestation? Could be a news item not yet reported on...

Please no. :lol: I hope we've seen the end of this.

Coyoty Wright
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Coyoty Wright » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 am

The pillow in the first photo is either definitely body-sized, or sitting on a very tiny chair in a tiny room.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 am

FBtron wrote:I myself as a cosplayer/fursuiter (both at the same time) am a bit disturbed by this.

I can imagine...

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Please no. :lol: I hope we've seen the end of this.

:-(

So just the Chinese Child Slave Labor angle huh? Maybe he makes them wear stupid hats like Todd MacFarlane does or drives them to death like Apple? No? :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand